Rubio is coming over this year..

Gary

All-Star
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...narowski_ricky_rubio_deal_timberwolves_060111

After two years of waiting, flamboyant Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio(notes) has agreed to join the Minnesota Timberwolves for the 2011-’12 season, league sources told Yahoo! Sports on Wednesday night.
Rubio reached a deal on Tuesday, sources said.

Rubio, the fifth pick in the 2009 NBA draft, has been playing for Regal Barcelona of the Spanish ACB League for the past two seasons. It’s likely that the deal won’t be announced until Rubio, 20, finishes his season in the Euroleague playoffs later this month.
He’s expected to immediately contend for the Wolves’ starting point guard job, and team general manager David Kahn plans for the point guard to be a cornerstone of Minnesota’s future.

Once considered one of the world’s most spectacular young amateurs, Rubio’s meteoric rise has cooled considerably the past two seasons with Regal Barcelona, although scouts believe he’ll benefit from joining a more wide open NBA game. Nevertheless, Rubio has averaged 6.5 points and 3.2 assists in 20 regular-season Euroleague games. A foot injury slowed him this season.
Rubio nearly agreed to join the Wolves in 2009, but the burden of a $6 million buyout on his contract kept him in Europe for two more seasons.

Rubio turned pro as a 14-year-old in Spain, and became one of Europe’s most hyped young players ever.
For Rubio to be paid under the current rookie wage scale, he had a deadline of Tuesday to reach an agreement with Minnesota. This would guarantee Rubio a nearly $3.5 million rookie salary as the fifth pick, and prevent him from losing future earnings should the league and union eventually agree on a more restrictive rookie wage scale.
Dan Barreiro of KFAN radio in Minneapolis also reported the agreement.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Like many here, I am sure, I am curious to see how he actually does in the NBA. Glad to see him making the jump across the pond.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm rooting for him to win ROY just so one draft class could produce 3 straight winners.

Time for some major crow eating from all the master prognosticators who claimed he was Fran Vasquez part II.
His numbers in Spain have been horrible this year. His shot hasn't developed and his frame is still on the thin/fragile side. I know the NBA game is gonna open up the floor for him more but to say everyone is gonna eat crow is pretty premature.

His numbers in Spain have been horrible this year. His shot hasn't developed and his frame is still on the thin/fragile side. I know the NBA game is gonna open up the floor for him more but to say everyone is gonna eat crow is pretty premature.
Fran Vasquez never came over to play in the NBA. I think that's the reference that he was making

About time. He's gotten to be bad enough that he will fit perfectly in Minny. I can't believe I wanted this guy over Reke. Lol at myself.

Fran Vasquez never came over to play in the NBA. I think that's the reference that he was making
Just because some people might say a player is never going to come over doesn't mean they have to eat crow if the player ends up coming over. That doesn't even make sense. Pre judging someone's production on the court and then getting proven wrong is the only time that merits eating crow.

Just because some people might say a player is never going to come over doesn't mean they have to eat crow if the player ends up coming over. That doesn't even make sense. Pre judging someone's production on the court and then getting proven wrong is the only time that merits eating crow.
Says who? Crow eating is merited whenever someone is proven wrong about anything.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It seemed like a somewhat perplexing comment to me too considering few people claimed (except perhaps in jest) that Rubio would never play in the NBA. It took them two years to sign him to a contract which was about in line with most people's worst-case-scenario as far as signability goes. If he becomes an All-Star PG in the NBA, at that point perhaps the Rubio bashers (a category to which I probably belong as well) should be instructed to eat crow, but this is way pre-mature to be making that kind of assertion.

PS -- Anyone else see the ad banner for Rubio's Mexican Grill at the top of the page? Coincidence? :)

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I ate crow once. It tasted like chicken.

That being said, I'm glad that we'll finally put the "We should have picked X over Y" prognostication. to the test.

It's never level headed around here when it comes to Rubio. People either love him to the point of freakish obsession, or detest him and openly want him to fail. I don't see why it has to be either.

I liked Rubio before the draft, but I'm glad we drafted Tyreke. It was undoubtedly the right decision. That's it as far as I'm concerned - I've moved on.

I will follow Rubio with a vested interest to see how he fares. I stuck up for him pre-draft when some were saying he was all hype, and I tried to lower the expectations of those who thought he would be a superstar (he won't be). I think he has a chance to be a very good PG. He obviously needs to work alot on his shooting, but so do many young players. He does have some things you just can't teach. He's going to be very exciting one way or another. I won't get into it all again, but he's going to have some very fun moments for the Wolves if he earns the minutes.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It's never level headed around here when it comes to Rubio. People either love him to the point of freakish obsession, or detest him and openly want him to fail. I don't see why it has to be either.

I liked Rubio before the draft, but I'm glad we drafted Tyreke. It was undoubtedly the right decision. That's it as far as I'm concerned - I've moved on.

I will follow Rubio with a vested interest to see how he fares. I stuck up for him pre-draft when some were saying he was all hype, and I tried to lower the expectations of those who thought he would be a superstar (he won't be). I think he has a chance to be a very good PG. He obviously needs to work alot on his shooting, but so do many young players. He does have some things you just can't teach. He's going to be very exciting one way or another. I won't get into it all again, but he's going to have some very fun moments for the Wolves if he earns the minutes.
At this point, I'm pretty sure a dead guy could earn some PG minutes for the TWolves. Not much competition to be had there.

It seemed like a somewhat perplexing comment to me too considering few people claimed (except perhaps in jest) that Rubio would never play in the NBA. It took them two years to sign him to a contract which was about in line with most people's worst-case-scenario as far as signability goes. If he becomes an All-Star PG in the NBA, at that point perhaps the Rubio bashers (a category to which I probably belong as well) should be instructed to eat crow, but this is way pre-mature to be making that kind of assertion.

PS -- Anyone else see the ad banner for Rubio's Mexican Grill at the top of the page? Coincidence? :)
I was only referring to the people who claimed that he was going to pull a Fran Vasquez.

I was only referring to the people who claimed that he was going to pull a Fran Vasquez.

I've been watcing Rubio for a couple of seasons now - in Euroleague and in Spanish leauge. Of course, I saw him on the last World championship, too. I really don't understand all the hype around this kid. He's young, he's 20 and he can still make a major brake through. But honestly, so far I didn't see anything special about him. He is decent in transition, has the ability to assist to his team mates, but on the other hand, he's shot is terrible and he isn't strong enough.

Look at some European players in the NBA like Nowitzki, Peja, Divac, Parker, Gasol... look at their numbers when they were 20/21. And see how big part of the team every one of them was already at that age.

I wish Ricky all the best, but so far, he's not in the same league with Tyreke...

I ate crow once. It tasted like chicken.

That being said, I'm glad that we'll finally put the "We should have picked X over Y" prognostication. to the test.
Well not technically.. You still got to give the kid a couple years to see what he's made of :)