RonRon will walk

After sitting out the 4th quarter in tonight's excellent win against the Takers -- yea, the "Takers" -- and, after sitting out with a "sore-arsed" foot, RonRon gonna get it in his head that he has no future with this Kings team; I'm sure he's already thinking along these lines.

If RonRon walks, the Kings get nuth'n. Nuth'n.

RonRon's outstanding play prior to the trade deadline was clearly an audition to get traded...especially to a team that's headed to the playoffs. How in the hhhhhell did Petrie not trade RonRon? Holding out for a higher-than-RonRon's-realistic-trade value for an eventual empty bag was a huge error on Petrie's part.

Couldn't Petrie see that RonRon's play would decline after the trade deadline? I had made the assumption that RonRon's play would decline after the trade and it has.

RonRon's gonna walk. Let him. That will make more room with which to sign someone else, right? RonRon's not going to get his $13/14 million/yr contract that he and his idiotic agent wants. Not gonna happen.

If RonRon does not walk and opts to stay in, when is the earliest time that he could be traded?

Gary

All-Star
From what I gathered the Kings will be at about 55mil after this year, not including the 1st round pick, and not including what we re-sign Beno for (if we do).

Isn't the cap 55mil this year? It should go up to about 58 or so next season, which probably will all be used up re-signing Beno, then we will have the mid level exception, which I am not sure if we will use. BUT in the last two years we used it to sign Salmons, and Moore so who knows.

We can always re-sign Artest and trade him to a team which wants to get rid of someone. For instance we re-sign Artest to a 4 year 60mil contract where the first year he is getting 12mil.. We take on up to 9mil worth of contracts, which can include a pick.. That would be nice. Can we re-sign before the draft anyway?

Last edited:

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
But the Kings will reduce the cap by $11M with the expiring contracts of Johnson, Wright and Lue (who is already gone). Minus RonRon's $7.4M

Then suspect they will sign Beno to 4 yr at about $5M-$6m maybe with MLE.

If they let RonRon go then any team that he would go to will have to spend hard cash and everyone except some bottom dwellers are at or over the cap. Soo, Sign and trade makes sense for him and, if the Kings get a major piece, for them as well. Hard to image that Mikki is kept unless for bench strength.

SAR could come back and he would make a decent 4-5 as he still has 2-yr left at $6.2M and $6.6M. Then there is the Albatross, Thomas who has $7.9M and $8.5M coming for the same 2 years.

Can we please just stop trying to predict what Ron will do? He might or he might not but that's his decision. Everyone just wants him gone and he's barely done anything. He's put a lot of effort into this team this year despite a bad season, his daughter having cancer, having surgery on his elbow, etc. But nobody cares about that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Predicting what Ron might or might not do is perfectly acceptable for a sports message board. You don't have to read the threads but we're not going to say people can't start them.

Predicting what Ron might or might not do is perfectly acceptable for a sports message board. You don't have to read the threads but we're not going to say people can't start them.

True but I'm just saying it's kind of pointless. I agree with you though I guess people can make them I just think it's a pointless debate. To be honest though Ron still seems like he wants to stay. He likes his teammates, coach, and he still has his supporters. I seriously think Geoff wants to keep him. Otherwise he would've dealt him at the deadline.

piksi

Hall of Famer
True but I'm just saying it's kind of pointless. I agree with you though I guess people can make them I just think it's a pointless debate. To be honest though Ron still seems like he wants to stay. He likes his teammates, coach, and he still has his supporters. I seriously think Geoff wants to keep him. Otherwise he would've dealt him at the deadline.
I seriously hope that Geoff is not that insane

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I seriously think Geoff wants to keep him. Otherwise he would've dealt him at the deadline.
I really wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Not trading Artest doesn't necessarily mean he didn't want to trade him. If the right offer didn't come along, I'm fairly certain Petrie wouldn't just give him away for loose change, regardless of what message board pundits might advocate.

I don't see this... if you watched close, Ron was having a blast on the sidelines. Rootin and hollerin'... This guy likes our team. He was huggin half the bench.

I don't think even Ron knows what he is going to do. If he lets his agent decide for him, he probably doesn't opt out, and hopefully, we can work out a trade.

I dunno about anyone else but I kind of want ron on this team long term...
I think ron is part of the solution.. He causes havoc on defence, hes very entertaining, he has heart, he goes all out every game, and hes dropping
20 ppg efficiently with his shot taking descions getting better.

That minnesota game was an example of why we need ron on defence.. not just his defensive skills but we need his defensive presence to play team d better he is our defensive leader. Martin our Offensive Leader.
I really want ron to stick around for the next cuple of years to help this team possibly achieve something in reach... do i dare say it?.... yes.. a championship...

Next year hawes will be starting im geuusing (15,8.5,3,2), Mikki will be reduced to his orignal role of energy plug off the bench which is obviously suited better for his game. Ron would be the man on d ,and second to martin on O. Beno will be resigned and he will prove to the world that he is just an amazing PG and minnesota is a bunch of idiots for waiving him.
We will have three new draft picks, that can learn some very valuable defensive tactics from ron and offensive tactics from kev. We will have a crazy bench Salmons, Douby, Garcia, Moore, Shelden, Picks.

SO NO RON RON PLEASE DONT WALK! THE FANS LOVE YOU HERE ..People are always so down on ron give the guy a break, the lakers commentators were pissing me off the way they were describing ron tonight "short fused ticking time bomb"...not true....and RON we al know you want to win, we have a good shot at the playoffs next year if ron sticks around.
RON PROVE TO THE WORLD THAT YOU WERE SENT TO SACRAMENTO TO SAVE US LIKE THEY USE TO SAY FINISH THE JOB STICK WITH THE TEAM, BRING IT HOME FOR US RONNNIE but most importantly bring it home for the team...

stay ronnie please.

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Choosing when he does or does not want to play does not a good leader make. I do not want a player that needs a fanbase feeding his ego in order to perform. I want a player who ALWAYS suits up when healthy enough to do so, or at the very least, play through bumps and bruises. I'm not talking about the bigger things (surgery, daughter's health) because that doesn't come in to play.

Somewhere down the line, management needs to tell him whether or not he will be part of the future in Sacto and move from there. Personally, I'm speculating a sign-and-trade. I have no basis for it, just a gut feeling.

I gave Ron the benefit of the doubt until that game in Utah where he imploded and I was embarassed to have him in a Kings uniform.

Last straw for me.

I pray for Petrie to trade him every day.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
True but I'm just saying it's kind of pointless.
:D

Have you SEEN some of the threads around here? This one is discussing matters like the future of the human race compared to some of them. ;)

You know, guessing which draft pick we'll have after about 10 games into the season. Guessing who we will draft before we even know who is declaring or where we will be picking. The truly pointless threads....

Warhawk

Staff member
Yes, guessing what he will do or who we will draft is pointless, but it is fun to play PRETEND.
Guessing is fine, but maybe, you know, close to the end of the season when a draft order can be more closely assessed, when some players have decided whether to declare or not, and when the trade deadline has passed and big trades have taken place. Educated guesses are so much more interesting and fun than the wild-*** stuff that gets started here sometimes. You may as well be guessing on whether it will rain on Jan 16, 2036. I mean really, what's the fun or the point?

Some guys throw out so many guesses it's like they are right by default because they have named everyone at some point or another.

After every college game it's wild mood swings on if a guy is worth drafting. You know, just wait for the body of work to show itself and get a more global view towards the end of the season. That's when it matters and can be more accurately judged.

But whatever. I guess if it keeps some folks happy.....

Warhawk

Staff member
I agree with you, but i mean, if there is any place where stuff like that could or should be discussed, a message board is it.
And it is. Have fun. ;) We just want to keep the number of separate threads on it to a bare minimum until the season is over.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I would agree with the initial assessment in this thread...if it were anybody but Ron Artest. He is chaos personified, and not all the quitting on the team, public shaming, benchings or whatever is going to make him any more rational or predictable.

If he wants to go -- go. Shoo. Stay away. We will actually have a chance to build a team once that's over with and all of the wild stupidity is elsewhere. But this is Ron Artest we are talking about. The very stupidity that causes all the problems will cause him to change his mind half a dozen times before it comes time to pick up his option. What he needs is us to make that decision for him. But our front office has its own divisions and weakness of will to overcome.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I would agree with the initial assessment in this thread...if it were anybody but Ron Artest. He is chaos personified, and not all the quitting on the team, public shaming, benchings or whatever is going to make him any more rational or predictable.

If he wants to go -- go. Shoo. Stay away. We will actually have a chance to build a team once that's over with and all of the wild stupidity is elsewhere. But this is Ron Artest we are talking about. The very stupidity that causes all the problems will cause him to change his mind half a dozen times before it comes time to pick up his option. What he needs is us to make that decision for him. But our front office has its own divisions and weakness of will to overcome.
So are you suggesting the coaching staff clean out his locker for him placing his stuff in a garbage bag? ;)

Last edited:
I think the best case scenario would be to sign and trade Ron this summer... will that happen? I think it is the least likely scenario. Second best scenario would be for Ron to stay... then you can either keep him as an ender or trade him away. Worst case scenario for the Kings would be if Ron walked; the Kings gain nothing but space... might not be too bad since the Kings have Salmons... they would need to draft a SF to develop in the backup role.

Far-out forecast

You may as well be guessing on whether it will rain on Jan 16, 2036. I mean really, what's the fun or the point?

80% chance of snow that day. Use an umbrella and be sure to put on SPF 40 lotion before going out. Oh, be sure to have good bling on your flip-flops .:D