Rondo a darkhorse for Kings???

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Posted in the Boston Globe this morning at the bottom of a bunch of random comments was this ditty:

A darkhorse location for Rajon Rondo in free agency is Sacramento, where the Kings are entering a pivotal year in their franchise and could use a bona fide point guard. Darren Collison, coming off hip surgery, is the team’s scheduled starter for next season. Rondo, who didn’t appear interested in going to the Kings a few years ago, could use the club as a springboard to perhaps a larger contract if he signs a one-year deal. Rondo is also close friends with Kings forward Rudy Gay.

Can't imagine how his baggage goes over in SacTown. A one year deal seems it would set back long term Kings/Karl plans but maybe the East Coasters smell a building winner and ............

Entity

Hall of Famer
Rondo is the next kerilinko for us. The guy that every year we always say we need and there is always an article that says we need him. AK went on for like 6-7 years. This is year three for Rondo.

Let's hope the Rondo thing goes away again and for good. I for one would not enjoy any part of it. Maybe he can get on with the Celtics. I'm sure he and the
Celtics GM are really close.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Oh hell no!

Hopefully we are just in this rumor because our FO was trash, and so lazy journalists link us to trash FAs.

Our tool owner does like "splashy moves" though.

There was plenty of applicable, relevant Rajon discussion here:
http://www.kingsfans.com/threads/lets-talk-about-rajon-rondo.60719/

If it's a 1-yr deal, if it's a reasonable amount of $, if Boogie and Rudy are cool with Rajon coming and think he can help their game - then I'm all for the attempt.

If any player was unmotivated to succeed or try hard but still has game left, I think it's highly likely that Rajon is of a personality type that may have deliberately not done well in Boston or Dallas this year.
Now, I don't know how he actually is physically or mentally, but if he was motivated to turn his career narrative around by going to Sac and resurrecting this franchise along with Boogie and Rudy, well I'm all ears to that prospect.

Case in point - his career FT% is >.614 - yet suddenly this year he can't shoot .400??
Guys very rarely forget how to shoot FT's. I'm thinking there may well have been a motivation reason why he did so badly this past season, and I'm not ready to write off 6 1/3rd seasons of clutch, team-oriented play just because he lost his motivation to play hard in Boston, and didn;t like what he was traded to in Dallas.

Maybe I'm just picking up on a lot of the same kind of demonizing, group-think accusations that Demarcus has been victim of his whole career, but I think there's a chance Rajon could click here and prove everyone wrong (especially since just last summer, Boogie told Grantland he thought the best PG in the entire NBA was Rajon).

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Not the Rondo to Sacramento rumors again....he doesn't want to come here and he just isn't the same player when KG, Pierce and Allen aren't surrounding him. We don't need a PG that shoots under 50% on free throws....I'd rather roll with DC. Baggage he brings isn't worth the risk, IMO.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Love how easily some continue to even think about anything coming out of Boston regarding the Kings/Celtics...

rainmaker says it best:

This rumor doesn't look like it's based on anything new, just an observation based on Rondo's limited market, previous interest between us and him, constant rumors of us wanting to upgrade at PG and the well known Rondo/Rudy friendship.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Well, everyone seemed to hit this dead center. Could never see Rondo at Kings for 20 reasons. Celtics just being desperate for sure.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
...also more evidence of the Boston media displaying an unhealthy level of obsession with our team and our players. Well, mostly just one player. They're probably going to continue believing they can get Cousins right up until the day he retires.

...also more evidence of the Boston media displaying an unhealthy level of obsession with our team and our players. Well, mostly just one player. They're probably going to continue believing they can get Cousins right up until the day he retires.
Vlade already put it on himself to deny any Cousins deals that seem reasonable. The only deal that can get Cousins is one where the Kings clearly, clearly, clearly win.

Love how easily some continue to even think about anything coming out of Boston regarding the Kings/Celtics...

rainmaker says it best:
This. Boston media see's us as a mark and think that with enough pressure, they can pry Cousins from us. Get Rondo in the door here in there is a chance things can blow up and Boston is in play to get Cuz.

After his performances for Dallas it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up here.

Probably the only team desperate enough to take him.

And I was a big fan of his game. But seeing someone quit the way he did. Oh boy.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There is upside there...if he signed for cheap to restore his value.

He has a Gay connection, Cousins apparently has spoken well of him in the past, although I have no idea of any connection there. And if we DID sign him, with his now very well known preference for half court ball, it would either be willful delusion on our part, or a sign that Karl might be tempering his duck and chuck to fit personnel. And of course he is that deeply experienced playoff/championship vet. Unlike Dallas, where he came into a very long running system and star who after 15 straight years of success are convinced the "Mavs way" is a thing to be emulated, and who were not interested in Rondo bringing his Celtics way with him, coming to the Kings his Celtics way experience would actually have listeners...except for Karl. That's the boogieman there. Otherwise Rondo's experience would mark him as a guy who could definitely shape our emerging personality. But only if he and Karl were ont eh same page.

On the other hand the report is weak speculation, and Rondo has dissed us in the past.

K

KingMilz

If it's a 1 year deal and at a reasonable price it's much more reward than risk, reality is if this upcoming season goes to crap I think the "core"is pretty much gone anyway with or without Rondo. I think Rondo can do what Miller did for us just at a way higher level (way better D) at everything other than posting up. You could at times play him and DC in a smallish back-court as well with Rondo use to guarding bigger players. I like the idea of a pass first ball dominant PG because Cuz/Rudy have the ball way to much and make way to many bad choices cause of having to be play-makers to much.

If things go south it's a 1 year deal we still got DC to be the PG and we I'm 100% sure teams will still even if he stinks it up on Sacramento take a punt on Rondo if they are 1 piece away from something nice. Unlike Lawson (who I would also like) Rondo would not cost us any real assets as far as draft picks and still gives us a option next year to do whatever we like with our money. I would not be so quick to write off Rondo completely if he wants to come here and prove a point I'd love that.

A lot of it comes to down to who we draft as well if we draft that Mudiay kid who's got potential than I rather develop him probably (since we need something to maybe build around when things most likely go to crap)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very open to the idea depending on the cost of course. People often get carried away with players most recent form. Sometimes players just don't fit in well with certain teams. Rondo is one of those. He was a bad fit with Dallas and had a falling out with the team, in particular with the coach.

Now Rondo has not lost his talent, nor his ability to be a nightly triple double threat. The one downside here is that he does not address the need for shooters especially if we draft WCS as we hope. The spacing would be terrible BUT with Rondo and WCS, the defense would get a significant boost.

Bottom line is that the talent base gets a significant boost and that's always a great thing for us. Rondo-Gay-Cousins would be as good a trio as you could hope for going forward. Getting right players around them would be a challenge. Karl would be a decent coach to blend all of that together. Even if we sign Rondo for a year, chances are he sticks around after that if we make the playoffs and show signs of being a genuine contender.

Don't want the attitude. Why is it that the Kings always seem to be in the mix for players like Rondo and Josh Smith?
Because for a while there, thanks to PDA, we were in the mix for just about every free agent out there. Once Vlade makes some good moves (fingers crossed), people will see that we aren't desperate for every available player, and the stories like this will hopefully dry up.

I would take a short term Rondo deal over Lawson. But I'm worried how DC handles it, if he is back on the bench. I guess he came to SAC to be the starting PG once again and prove he can fill this role. He overachieved and stated publicy, that he would like to keep the core of Rudy, DMC and himself intact only to be pulled out of the starting 5 for next season? That would be some bitter pill to swallow I would guess.