Ricky Rubio Watch

I know there are a lot of Ricky Rubio fans here, so thought I create a thread so that we can talk about him and follow his progress. Would absolutely love to see this kid come play in the NBA . There's so much hype around him that it will be intriguing to follow his progress. Just saw him in a TV commercial, gillete i think.

Here's some of the latest

Timberwolves still very much in Rubio hunt

By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports

"There is a “50-50” chance the Minnesota Timberwolves’ heralded draft pick Ricky Rubio(notes) will play for the NBA team next season, a source close to Rubio told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday. Another source indicated that the team’s chances might even be better than that."

Think he is going to make it to the NBA this year?

I wonder what affect it will have in the future for draft players from Spain. I could see gms now not picking players from spain in the first round, First Fran guy from Orlando and now Rubio.

A

AriesMar27

thats up to the nba and how they change their rules regarding foreign players and their foreign teams. its the cba and the contracts that theseplayers are signing thats screwing up everything. if im not mistaken rubio was only being paid 900k from his spanish team but the buyout was like 6 million and the wolves could only pay 500k. if the buyout clause was the amount of the contract there wouldnt be a problem and rubio would only pay 400k of his own money from his multi million dollar nba contract. he couldve been the 10th pick and his buyout wouldnt be an issue.

the nba should allow nba teams to pay more of the buyout and players like rubio wont have to be a top 3 pick to play in the nba.... and foreign scrubs can play in the nba even if they are the 26th pick. thats what happened to vasquez and juan carlos navarro, its not that they were bad players; its that they were paying too much of their own money to play in the nba.

foreign players need a union like the nba players association to renegoiate their buyout clauses. they are getting ripped off, the buyout shouldnt be double the amount of the entire contract. if cellphone buyouts were that much people wouldnt buy cell phones. could you imagine having to pay $3000 to get out of you t-mobile contract just to save 30 bucks and switch to at&t? luckily its only a couple of hundred....

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Wait, what? Rubio has to pay six million to get out of his nine hundred thousand Euroleague contract, and you think that the entity responsible for changing their rules is the NBA? How's that work again?

A

AriesMar27

Wait, what? Rubio has to pay six million to get out of his nine hundred thousand Euroleague contract, and you think that the entity responsible for changing their rules is the NBA? How's that work again?
i dont think its the nba's fault that it cost that much, i think that they should be allowed to pay more than just 500k.... they should have a pay scale on how much a team can pay. its weird that the team with the number 1 pick could only pay 500k but the team with the 30th pick has that same 500k eventhough the players salary for the 30th pick is 1 million dollars... its up to those foreign players to not sign such stupid contracts.... thats why i made the comparisson to cellphone contract buyouts... dont do it. i dont know if euro teams have a cba equivalent... nba players cant get screwed like that if they wanted to bolt to europe, look at josh childress.... the hawks owned his bird rights and he was a rfa but he decided to go overseas. if he wants to play in the nba, the hawks still own his rights.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Well the NBA is going to have to if it wants to be able to compete for these sorts of players. Europe is chaos anyway basketballwise, there will always be shaky stuff going on (although I will tell you right now in America Rubio would be able to sue to have that contract provision annulled, might go after the agent/lawyer too). But its up to the NBA to take the gloves off so its teams can respond. Of course that opens the door for richer teams to have an advanatge -- why I'm sure the rule is there in the first place. And it opens the door to Euroleague teams to try to set up buyout traps for the NBA -- intentionally upping them in the hopes of getting a free payday. But as the tule stands right now the NBA is competitively hamstringing itself vis a vis Euro teams. The Euro teams have no reason to change operating procedure as long as they are taking advanatge of teenage kids with incompetent representation. Its really up to the NBA to help itself.

I see nothing wrong with this. Euroleage is protecting themselves since they know all the "best" players will want to try the NBA route. How can Rubio get drafted and then everybody bitches about the buyout? We knew about this beforehand. Shut the hell up, play out 2 more years (by then he will be all of 20 years old, I know, washed up)work on your weak points and come back stronger and with more money in your wallet. If we turn this into a free for all you'll have clubs bidding for players like in baseball (think Dice K - $51 mil just to negotiate!!!!!! WTF??) If the players in Euroleage are stupid enough to accept these ridicilous buyout clauses, then the clubs should be smart enough to enforce them. Majority of clubs in Europe are not really rich/well off enough that they can just let talent go for free. Bravo Joventud, and Minnesotta either knew they weren't getting Rubio now and are throwing a smokescreen to calm down pissed off fans, or were just plain stupid if they thought Rubio could magically come up with millions to free himself.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Perhaps the better question would be why are players declaring for the NBA draft when they're under contract to play for another league in the first place. Common sense would seem to dictate that you played out your contract, and then declared for the NBA. Are they signing ten-year deals or something?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Perhaps the better question would be why are players declaring for the NBA draft when they're under contract to play for another league in the first place. Common sense would seem to dictate that you played out your contract, and then declared for the NBA. Are they signing ten-year deals or something?
This just seems to be a by-product of the typical European system. They tend to write buyouts into the contract -- I don't know if they could do without the buyouts but as long as the players have buyouts, the players will continue to take advantage of them. The deal doesn't have to be long. As long as the player thinks they can make financial advantage by exercising the buyout, they'll do it.

The short answer to the question of why they declare for the draft is "because they can". Unless the NBA changes its draft eligibility rules or European players stop getting customary buyouts in their contracts, the current status quo will continue.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Hey, I don't begrudge a kid from working the system. But when, in doing so, you put yourself in a financial hardship, and then complain about said hardship as if it were someone else's fault, I find myself wanting to hit you over the head with a snow shovel, along with everyone else who may feel sorry for you.

hey, I Don't Begrudge A Kid From Working The System. But When, In Doing So, You Put Yourself In A Financial Hardship, And Then Complain About Said Hardship As If It Were Someone Else's Fault, I Find Myself Wanting To Hit You Over The Head With A Snow Shovel, Along With Everyone Else Who May Feel Sorry For You.
lol!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Hey, I don't begrudge a kid from working the system. But when, in doing so, you put yourself in a financial hardship, and then complain about said hardship as if it were someone else's fault, I find myself wanting to hit you over the head with a snow shovel, along with everyone else who may feel sorry for you.

Well said!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, couldn't the NBA say you can't declare for the draft unless your European contract is expiring and you are free and clear to sign with an NBA team?

I only feel a little sorry for these guys, because I think they are so young when signing these deals, that I think people around them, with their own financial interests in mind, are making these decisions for them.

Not that that doesn't happen here with kids who are really, really good, but they won't be signing an NBA contract until their 19, at least. Still mind-boggling if your 19, but what if your 15 or 16?

lol....:p

Looks like Rubio is staying in Spain

"After endless comings and goings, Ricky Rubio is finally where he is. After many speculations about its future, the player decided to put an end to the issue of their transfer and will be announced at DKV Joventut, where he still has two more years of contract.

Pass out to the Minnesota Timberwolves and Real Madrid, Rubio said after a talk with his father concluded that it is best to close this chapter of back and forth about their future and stay at their current club.
The problem is that the base could spend next season watching the games from the stands as in Penya no intention to take this into account as part of the template (and signed Mario Fernandez and Kristaps Valters covering his post).

But Rubio is not intimidated. Makes clear that continuity within the institution virtually assured, the arrival of Fernandez and Valters only motivates him more to fight for the post: "At first I interpreted it as a sign that they did not want to continue on the team next season and now it seems clear that I am, I welcome the competition. The Hague is a good thing because it will help me to improve and continue to grow as a player. "
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/61033/20090807/rubio_staying_with_dkv_joventut/