Richardson or Bogdanovic

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You did nothing wrong.....apparently we all must adopt the "we're headed in the right direction" mentality.
Not at all. I see nothing wrong with criticizing decisions made by anyone in management. Someone makes a decision, and you don't agree with it, then have at it. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with first, creating a hypothetical situation where we're on the losing end, and them blaming that situation, that hasn't even happened yet, on the stupidity of Vlade.

I'm not stopping anyone from doing that, but I don't have to listen to it. Call me old fashion, but if you won't say something to someone's face, then don't say it.

Not at all. I see nothing wrong with criticizing decisions made by anyone in management. Someone makes a decision, and you don't agree with it, then have at it. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with first, creating a hypothetical situation where we're on the losing end, and them blaming that situation, that hasn't even happened yet, on the stupidity of Vlade.

I'm not stopping anyone from doing that, but I don't have to listen to it. Call me old fashion, but if you won't say something to someone's face, then don't say it.
I think the part that's being missed is that he was joking in the original post.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
@ESP47

I have been under the impression Perry will be handling the majority of the GM duties. That is why he was hired after all.

@bajaden

I know verbal deals could be in place ahead of time and that contingency plans would be in place. Was just wondering about how a hypothetical trade to get extra picks and then packaging those with say our 10th to move into 6-9 would unfold.
Well, your really talking about more than one deal that all has to come together in a matter of minutes, and something that will only happen if something else happens, like the player you want isn't there. Which is why these things have to be in place before the draft. Your not actually trading draft picks, your trading the players you drafted. Sounds like semantics, but rules are rules. On paper, its quite complicated.

What you suggested means you would have to have all the teams involved draft the players the other team wants, and in the case of acquiring later picks to use to move up, the team your moving those picks to, would have no guarantee the player they want at those spots will even be there. So there's some risk involved. From that perspective, I think the simpler you can keep it, the better. Like we take on a bad contract from Portland for the 15th pick in the draft, and then trade the 10th and the 15th to Orlando for the 6th pick in the draft. Orlando needs a lot of help, so maybe the idea of getting two quality players appeals to them. If so, we end up with the 5th and 6th picks in the draft.

I have no idea whether Orlando would bite on that or not. Just a hypothetical.

I like both and hate losing a player before you really know what you have in them.

That said, Bogdan has an excelent body of work already as a star in Europe as both a 2 and a back-up 1. Also, he is not under contract yet, diminishing his trade value. As VF said Vlade gives us an advantage there other teams won't have, which could sour trade negotiations.

Richardson showed promise something might be there waiting to be developed. He is on a rookie deal making negotiations more to the point. Between the two, I would lean Richardson unless Bogdan is reluctant to come over, in which case your trying to trade his rights to yet another team.

It is a nice thought to stack assets at one primary position and let them battle it out. However the reality is you risk letting your assets value diminish if not handled properly and in a timely manner. This came back to bite Philly with Embiid, Noel and Okafor. Losing Hinkie likely had a lot to do with that though.
This is a concern of mine given the glut of SGs we have even after letting McLemore, Evans and Afflalo go.

Last edited:
@bajaden

Then what I assumed about how it would have to happen seems correct. And what I implied , that such a deal to use picks ( players in actuality ) to turn #10/15/etc into 6-9 is way more complicated than most seem to think, seems correct. A lot can be decided before the draft, but if the players are not there come draft night it can easily fall apart.

I think the part that's being missed is that he was joking in the original post.
Yeah I figured the Vlade running door to door and Bobby Jackson as the GM thing made it obvious, but oh well. Guess it was a dumb joke anyway. People are just so sensitive these days. It's absolutely insane that you have to be PC over something so silly. I'm not going to change and I'm certainly not going to put some sort of (incoming possible humorous statement) disclaimer before each attempt at a joke so if anyone can't handle a silly joke every few weeks, go ahead and block me now.

@allrightythen

I am sure it may seem to some that I am in favor of just dumping our players at the drop of a hat. On the contrary, I get attached to our players and hate seeing them go.

The issue as I see it though concerns one position ( SG in this case) being overstacked. It's easy to say " a good problem" but in reality a problem is still a problem.

We will have to play guys out of natural position not because it is ideal but because it is necessary to find them minutes. As I pointed to before, look at what Philly got for Noel and still haven't moved Okafor. Look what happened in PHX with IT, Bledsoe, Bender.

Players lose value playing reduced minutes and / or out of position (Tyreke as SF). It is fine to obtain multiple SG's and retain the best two for primary and back-up. However they become less valuable in trades than they are actually worth when teams know you need to move said player/s.

In short, gathering assets does our rebuild no favors if in the end we hold on to them too long (Ben).

dude12

Hall of Famer

Yeah....not the first time you have been very critical of someone and your completely off base when said person hasn't done or said what you think they said. It's true.

I'm with
@allrightythen

I am sure it may seem to some that I am in favor of just dumping our players at the drop of a hat. On the contrary, I get attached to our players and hate seeing them go.

The issue as I see it though concerns one position ( SG in this case) being overstacked. It's easy to say " a good problem" but in reality a problem is still a problem.

We will have to play guys out of natural position not because it is ideal but because it is necessary to find them minutes. As I pointed to before, look at what Philly got for Noel and still haven't moved Okafor. Look what happened in PHX with IT, Bledsoe, Bender.

Players lose value playing reduced minutes and / or out of position (Tyreke as SF). It is fine to obtain multiple SG's and retain the best two for primary and back-up. However they become less valuable in trades than they are actually worth when teams know you need to move said player/s.

In short, gathering assets does our rebuild no favors if in the end we hold on to them too long (Ben).
I'm with you on this. I could see how trading a young guy now might actually be maximizing value. I do like both guys but I am concerned at least a little that the glut of talent at SG one of our very talented guys gets devalued riding the bench or playing out of position.

Trade Richardson to move up, maybe.

Trade Bogdonavic to move up? No.

Bogdan's trade value is currently suppressed because he might stay in Europe if traded.

Why trade when his value is low?

I think Bogdan could be a great glue player that may bring the team together. He has the potential to be a catalyst to the playoffs. I hope Im right.
I agree.. I do not want to even think about trading Bogdonavic.