Quincy Douby another Gerald Wallace?

I don't think Douby's much like Wallace. Maybe part Wallace, part this guy.

He might do really well overseas, and the pay in Europe can be pretty decent.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Exposing Webber would have been a slap in the face to our franchise guy as well as undermining the intention of the expansion draft. Wallace wanted to play, we weren't going to play him, and he would have left as a free agent anyway. The team at the time was more interested in winning a championship than stashing young talent for the future. Sure it's an easy decision to make in retrospect. And Peeler never should have been an issue. That was just failure to plan properly. One of many reasons why we're currently looking up at the rest of the league in the standings. It's all in the past now. We can only hope something was learned from all of this.

Yeah, he was in Adelman's doghouse because he [reportedly] wasn't working hard in practice, and because he pulled himself out of the Dallas game over a minor injury and refused to go back in. I don't think he was really in the plans, and there's no guarantee that he would have developed into the player he has if he were buried on the bench behind Peja.
I never understood that whole thing, Adelman wasn't a guy who ran a tough practice! They would let the cameras in sometimes and usually you'd see Chris or Vlade (or both) working on halfcourt shots. That team didn't have the best practice habits, not saying they were lazy but they obviously weren't running a Van Gundy type of practice.

And I remember that Dallas game, I thought he called to Adelman come out with a calf cramp and instead of giving him treatment to get the calf loose and get him back in (he was killing it that game, it was like he got a time machine and brought Future Gerald to play that one) they just didn't even look back at him the rest of the game. Even Don Nelson wondered why Gerald didn't come back, calling him the best player on the court that night.

Exposing Webber would have been a slap in the face to our franchise guy as well as undermining the intention of the expansion draft.
But the thing that came up back then was that the Expansion List wasn't made public, just the players picked up and there was the possibility of making a deal ahead of the expansion draft. Some teams were even considering offering cash if the Bobcats would take off a bad contract of theirs. If the Kings wanted to work something out, they could've figured a way to keep Gerald but obviously there wasn't much incentive for Charlotte to help with that and I think the Kings were ready to give up on Gerald and let him get a shot with a fresh new team.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I think there is a good chance he will be in Europe withn 2 years. He is a borderline nba player, but could be very good in Europe.

His shooting ability, and the closer 3pt line could get him good minutes in a top euro club team and descent money. I don't ever see him getting any minutes besides garbage time and with the economy as bad as it is he might make more playing overseas.

I like Quincy and I want him to succeed but I don’t think he’s in the same boat as Gerald was. I think if he gets himself together he can be a good bench player…Also as far as their play, Quincy is more careful than Gerald – if that makes sense.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Why didn't they expose Webber is my question.

I really think it was because if another team didn't take him, he would be absolute HELL to live with on the Kings. Can you imagine a guy with his ego and what he would have done in the locker room if the Kings exposed him? That said, I wished then, and now, that they exposed him anyway.

Six years later, and I still call shenanigans on those "rumors."
It doesn't really matter whether the rumors are true to me. It was pretty clear that he wasn't a part of the rotation, for whatever reason. And it was always strange how, while having a career game, he a) wasn't able to finish the game, and b) was never worked into the rotation after that.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As I've repeatedly mentioned over the years, the mistake wasn't not exposing Webber, it was the completely idiotic lack of planning involved in letting Anthony Peeler have an opt out in his contract, thus letting him leave us right on the eve of the expansion draft, and forcing us to expose somebody else instead (in this case Gerald). If he is signed to a two year deal, with no opt out, then he is part of the roster, and we just expose him. As it was we gave him the ability to escape the contract and he used it, thus leaving us with no good choices.

And the argument hat anthony Peeler would not have signed wiht us without that opt out just does not hold water. A) it was Athony Peeler -- how much bargaining power does he have?. B) it was Anthony Peeler -- if he will not sign a two year deal, he is easily replaced by someone who will. All in all, just an abominable lack of planning, and I think helped along by a front office not truly committed to keeping Gerald. If you're desperate to keep him, you take steps. As it was Darius played well and we decided to protect Darius Songaila instead of Gerald Wallace. How you like them apples? :eek:

As it was Darius played well and we decided to protect Darius Songaila instead of Gerald Wallace. How you like them apples? :eek:
I was all ready to write a post saying that wasn't true, because I certainly don't remember it that way. I did some research and found that it is true. Man, that move was idiotic.

Douby Just Signed by the Raptors

NEW YORK, March 24, 2009 – The Toronto Raptors today signed Erie BayHawks guard Quincy Douby, making him the 17th GATORADE Call-Up of the 2008-09 NBA Development League Season and the first for the BayHawks in the team’s history. Douby joins fellow former NBA D-Leaguers Nathan Jawai, Pops Mensah-Bonsu and Patrick O’Bryant on the Raptors roster
http://www.nba.com/dleague/erie/douby_090324.html

lol @ above...

but in all seriousness - I hope Douby can get some playing time in these final few weeks and earn some type of role somewhere next year.

A

AriesMar27

now he plays for the raptors.... good luck to douby.... i jus hope he doesnt find his way to the lakers...

Douby will get his chances due to the fact that he was a former 1st round draft pick--teams will always look at his age, college production, and still throw opportunities at him. Just like Marcus Williams. Until he proves that he can't shoot for other teams as well, he'll eventually be gone from the league for good. I think with the right system, though, and given playing time, his three point bombing and deflection defense can prove somewhat useful, but even then his other deficiencies would still relegate him to bit player.

As I've repeatedly mentioned over the years, the mistake wasn't not exposing Webber, it was the completely idiotic lack of planning involved in letting Anthony Peeler have an opt out in his contract, thus letting him leave us right on the eve of the expansion draft, and forcing us to expose somebody else instead (in this case Gerald). If he is signed to a two year deal, with no opt out, then he is part of the roster, and we just expose him. As it was we gave him the ability to escape the contract and he used it, thus leaving us with no good choices.
There's something I don't understand about this. I haven't really thought about it before this thread and I'm not trying to be obtuse. It seems to me that when the Kings had to declare who they were making available Peeler was under contract and could have been made available. The expansion draft was in June and he signed with the Wizards a month later in July of 04.

The Kings must have known after the season ended that Peeler was going to opt out. I've been trying to research the issue out of curiosity and it does not appear that the Kings were surprised by his decision. So, isn't the issue as you pointed out that they protected Songaila?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
There's something I don't understand about this. I haven't really thought about it before this thread and I'm not trying to be obtuse. It seems to me that when the Kings had to declare who they were making available Peeler was under contract and could have been made available. The expansion draft was in June and he signed with the Wizards a month later in July of 04.

The Kings must have known after the season ended that Peeler was going to opt out. I've been trying to research the issue out of curiosity and it does not appear that the Kings were surprised by his decision. So, isn't the issue as you pointed out that they protected Songaila?
He was an expiring, and you couldn't expose an expiring.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

No, Songaila is the second issue.

The main issue, the big mistake, was undoubtedly Peeler. Everybody knew the expansion draft was coming for YEARS before it did. We failed to plan for the event. All you have to do to protect yourself in one of those is make sure you have somebody under contract at the time of the draft who is expendable. Its not hard. Its so not hard in fact that no other team in the entire league gave up as juicy of a piece as Gerald. Young, cheap, full of potential. I mean, duh. Songaila only becomes an issue because of the Peeler mistake. If we plan ahead, we don't have to expose Darius either.

the rule is/was:

1) you can protect up to 8 players under contract for next year on your roster (i.e., not FAs, guys under contract for the following year), any players beyond 8 are exposed to the draft
2) if you have 8 or fewer players uncer contract for next year, you still always have to expose at least 1 (so every team exposes at least 1)

examples:
a) you have 10 players under contract for next season; you get to protect 8 of the 10, you must leave the other 2 available for the draft;
b) you have 8 players under contract for next season; normally you could protect 8 players, but since that would mean you were exposing nobody to the draft, you can only protect 7 players, and expose 1 to the draft

In any case, you are ALWAYS going to have to expose 1, and you know that before the season begins, and know that at the trade deadline, and yet we took no action to protect ourselves by securing an expendable piece that we knew would be available for exposure. Peeler's opt out was absolutely the deal breaker -- much talked about at the time. If he does not opt out, then we list him as the exposed player, and protect Webb, Peja, Miller, Bibby, Christie, BJax, Songaila, Wallace (8 players). Once he opts out and becomes a FA, he is not eligible for the draft and we still have to expose 1 of our 8 players (see example b, above). That is when we chose Songaila over Gerald.

P.S. I should note here that its possible we were not thinking Darius would turn out to be anything and figured we could always just expose him, in which case a) why sign him at all; and b) our great plan in that situation was still to intentionally expose another young player -- exactly the type of guy the expansion teams are looking for.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...ings-retire-Divac-s-No-21-unha?urn=nba,151883

Frank Zicarelli, Toronto Sun: "Quincy Douby's 10-day contract expires this week. While he has looked good in practice, Douby has been given close to 30 minutes of playing time in three games with the Raptors, including 22 inconsequential minutes in last Friday's win over the Oklahoma City Thunder. The one-time Sacramento Kings guard never got off the bench in Sunday's wild overtime win over the Chicago Bulls. 'I have to try to find out what he can do,' interim head coach Jay Triano said of the 6-foot-3 product of Rutgers. 'I want to give him meaningful minutes. I just don't want him out there in garbage time.' [...] It might be easier said than done. Roko Ukic has done nothing to warrant fewer minutes and Jason Kapono isn't likely to get fewer touches. That leaves Triano in a bit of a bind and Douby in limbo."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm sorry for Quincy. It seems apparent that while he can look good - very good - in practice he just cannot translate those skills into games. He's seems to be the stereotrypical bubble player who is good but simply not good enough to pre-empt time from other players.

I'm sorry for Quincy. It seems apparent that while he can look good - very good - in practice he just cannot translate those skills into games. He's seems to be the stereotrypical bubble player who is good but simply not good enough to pre-empt time from other players.
I'm sorry for him, too. It must be very hard for him and he seems like a very nice young man. I wish him all the best.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We had to expose somebody, and the rest of the guys on our roster were pretty integral to our hopes of a championship. There was some talk about a Webber gambit - leaving Chris exposed and daring the Bobcats to take on his big contract - but that obviously never panned out (and would have been very risky).

I've come to realize that maybe Petrie's biggest blunder of all was made the offseason of 2003. Knowing that the expansion draft was upcoming the following summer, Geoff should have been looking at the roster and thinking about whom we had to protect. As it turned out, we had enough expiring contracts that we could have protected all of our players were it not for the rule that you have to expose at least one guy. We really didn't want to expose any of them, so why not sign Rodney Buford to a 2-year deal instead of a 1-year deal (he would have been basically at the minimum) with the intent of dangling him instead of our commodity players at the expansion draft. We could still have Wallace had he just done that. And hey, even if Buford knew the score, it's not like he'd turn down that second year on his contract.
I always wondered why they just didn't expose Webb. How many teams around the league would have had the cap space to pick him, and of those that did, probably none would have taken him at that price. Maybe they just figured it would have insulted Webb.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I always wondered why they just didn't expose Webb. How many teams around the league would have had the cap space to pick him, and of those that did, probably none would have taken him at that price. Maybe they just figured it would have insulted Webb.
Wow! That was an old comment you quoted!

Anyway, "how many teams" wasn't an issue -- only the Bobcats were picking in the expansion draft, and they had no cap space problems because they had no players yet. There was a bit of discussion at the time of whether Webber should have been exposed -- would Charlotte risk taking him, would it make him angry?

But discussion or no, we know what happened in the end.

A

AriesMar27

they should have exposed christie.... he was old and was making way too much money. there is no way that the bobcats would take him. but thats not what happened.... oh well.... and douby sucks.... period.