Quincy Acy

Via Sam Amick

Free agency news: I'm told Kings forward Quincy Acy is declining his option for next season and will become an unrestricted

---

I'm actually kind of surprised. Who's next, Anderson?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Via Sam Amick

Free agency news: I'm told Kings forward Quincy Acy is declining his option for next season and will become an unrestricted

---

I'm actually kind of surprised. Who's next, Anderson?
Curry will be next. Anderson will likely NOT exercise his option and get the guaranteed payday for next season.

Doesn't mean Acy and/or Curry won't be back, just that they'll cost a bit more if they do return.

I don't think we should bring him back. He's an energy hustle guy that shouldn't have been playing big minutes. Any time we had him in the starting lineup, we were undersized. Good luck Acy

Acy seemed to be used by Karl to motivate WCS.

It was weird. He either started, or didn't play.

He can find a more stable situation that has a defined role for him.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
At $1 million Acy was a nice bargain as a deep bench PF who could provide energy and hustle and who was a good locker room guy. I'd like to see him back but ideally he's the fifth or six big and honestly that role needs to be filled cheaply.

Curry is a bit of a different story as (1) he's shown more potential to develop into an important bench player (2) a team's third PG is a more important position to fill.

Should the team not re-sign Rondo then Curry could conceivably be viewed as the backup PG to Collison. In either case a contract along the lines of 3 years $10 million for Curry would be fine by me.

Love Acy. He's the kind of guy you want on your team. Curry is next. I think think we will match any offers on him but I'm not sure with Acy.

Anderson is definitely not opting out. There is no way he'd get another contract after this season.

Tweener that can shoot 3's, guard PF's and SF's and provides hustle, energy and tenaciousness. This looks like a valuable skillset for any bench. Only problem seems to be, that Acy isn't able to dribble the basketball. Otherwise he would earn quite a lot of money. Not my first option for the Kings, but we need guys like that. Can't have too many athletic 6'6 to 6'8 guys, that are willing to work their tails off and can shoot.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
He's got to take care of himself. He would have been a bargain at $1 million next season, so I'm not surprised he opted out. I'd still love to have him back but I think we have other priorities to take care of first. And if it comes down to a choice between bringing back Quincy Acy or Seth Curry at a bigger salary (which it most likely will) -- I'm picking Seth Curry.

Not surprised really! Q and Curry will both opt out and get a better pay day with the increase in salary cap. Anderson might decline his option as I doubt he gets another chance in the NBA. Doesn't mean we won't get these guys back. It just means they will probably cost us a little bit more.

It's good to have roster flexibility. These guys are nice to have, and good locker room guys but they are not big difference makers in the scheme of things.

He's got to take care of himself. He would have been a bargain at $1 million next season, so I'm not surprised he opted out. I'd still love to have him back but I think we have other priorities to take care of first. And if it comes down to a choice between bringing back Quincy Acy or Seth Curry at a bigger salary (which it most likely will) -- I'm picking Seth Curry.
I don't disagree with your sentiment and I know what you meant, just found "He's got to take care of himself" rather humourous when we're talking about professional athletes. Gotta feed his family y'know ;)

I think Acy is quite valuable for a whole lot of reasons. He's serviceable as a starting PF, although he's a backup forward on a good team. He seems to have an improving jump shot. He's got great length for someone who can't be a hair over 6-8 and is a great shot-blocker for his size. But most of all, he's got a great motor and he's a great teammate and citizen. Pay him what he's worth and get him back for next year.

hrdboild

Staff member
I don't disagree with your sentiment and I know what you meant, just found "He's got to take care of himself" rather humourous when we're talking about professional athletes. Gotta feed his family y'know ;)
You could say that about any professional athlete though. :) Professional sports is a different world with different rules. It's not like this is Latrell Sprewell turnign down a $30 million contract and claiming it's because he needs to feed his family. A $1 million contract basically represents minimum wage and Acy played well enough this year that someone else will be willing to pay more than that to get him. Teams aren't going to do players any favors, they'll trade them or cut them if it benefits the team so you can't expect the players to take a pay cut if they have a choice. If he can make more than $1 million as a free agent than of course he should opt out.

The Majority of our season ticket fanbase will earn more in their standard careers than an end-of-bench roleplayer in a 5-6 year NBA career. Then they leave the League with no marketable job skills to maintain an upper middle-class lifestyle. If they don't go after every last dime they're doing their family a disservice.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Life is short, and a basketball players career can short as well. Here today and gone tomorrow. So I have no problem with anyone trying to maximize their income when possible. Hopefully we'll find a way to bring Acy back, but if not, I wish him well. Choosing between him and Durant would be a tough choice, but I'm leaning Durant.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
We need Acy as part of a TEAM. He contributes on the court giving everything he has got and he contributes on the bench. Perhaps some people think that anyone can be a bench player. In a sense that is true but Acy contributes to a good team. I do NOT want to see him gone. We have to find a way to keep Acy and Curry. They are both valuable parts to a 9-10 man rotation.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Choosing between him and Durant would be a tough choice, but I'm leaning Durant.
You disloyal dog!

I'm sure Mrs. Baja appreciates that it would be a hard choice, but you'd choose Kate Upton over her. No wonder she periodically starts digging graves in the sand out there for you.

hrdboild

Staff member
I don't want to see Acy go either -- he's exactly the right kind of veteran to have in the locker room and he's made himself into a versatile forward. But I've already been running numbers for our off-season options and the margin for error is very small. Even bumping Acy up from $1 million to $3 million may mean we no longer have the cap space to offer Al Horford a competitive contract. And if it comes down to luring a top free agent or bringing Acy back, I'm going with the top free agent. In the more likely event that everyone worth pursuing turns us down, then Acy becomes a bigger priority. If I had to guess, I'd say he's likely to be wearing a Kings uniform again next year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't want to see Acy go either -- he's exactly the right kind of veteran to have in the locker room and he's made himself into a versatile forward. But I've already been running numbers for our off-season options and the margin for error is very small. Even bumping Acy up from $1 million to $3 million may mean we no longer have the cap space to offer Al Horford a competitive contract. And if it comes down to luring a top free agent or bringing Acy back, I'm going with the top free agent. In the more likely event that everyone worth pursuing turns us down, then Acy becomes a bigger priority. If I had to guess, I'd say he's likely to be wearing a Kings uniform again next year.
Well I'm sure that the minimum salary will go up quite a bit. Whether that's enough to lure him back or not is anyone's guess. I do believe that we would still have something like a half mid-level exception if we go over the cap. Don't remember what it's called. Maybe the Capt can help me out here. Of course maybe that's something they might want to use on Curry, if it indeed exists somewhere except in the dark recesses of my mind.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well I'm sure that the minimum salary will go up quite a bit. Whether that's enough to lure him back or not is anyone's guess. I do believe that we would still have something like a half mid-level exception if we go over the cap. Don't remember what it's called. Maybe the Capt can help me out here. Of course maybe that's something they might want to use on Curry, if it indeed exists somewhere except in the dark recesses of my mind.
It's called the "room exception" and it's a very tiny bit more than half the MLE, at least this year. The thing about the salary cap jump this offseason is that the MLE and room exception are not tied to the cap, so they begin to look like chump change in the new salary environment. This year the room exception comes in at just under $2.9M, not very much if the cap is up at $92M as predicted.

You could say that about any professional athlete though. :) Professional sports is a different world with different rules. It's not like this is Latrell Sprewell turnign down a $30 million contract and claiming it's because he needs to feed his family. A $1 million contract basically represents minimum wage and Acy played well enough this year that someone else will be willing to pay more than that to get him. Teams aren't going to do players any favors, they'll trade them or cut them if it benefits the team so you can't expect the players to take a pay cut if they have a choice. If he can make more than $1 million as a free agent than of course he should opt out.
Oh yes I'm not questioning that and like I said I know what you mean and I'm not trying to disagree with you. It's just funny whenever anybody, athlete or not, earning a million a year is referred to as needing to get a bigger paycheck to "take care of himself". On an unrelated note, what are salaries like in the European or Chinese leagues?

It's just funny whenever anybody, athlete or not, earning a million a year is referred to as needing to get a bigger paycheck to "take care of himself".
What's funny is people who think $1 Million is a lot of money, but think the guy making $1 million should turn down another $300K (in theory), as if that isn't a lot of money. Seriously have you done the math?