Prospect watch 2011

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kemba Walker continues to look great. Not good. Great. If there are five players in the upcoming draft better than him, then this is one helluva draft.

Jones has a better outside shot than I thought. Definitely a top player in the draft, but I wouldn't put him ahead of Kemba right now.

Unranked Connecticut beat #2 Michigan St. and kicked #9 Kentucky's rear. I wonder where the experts will rank Connecticut now.
First of all, they have to rank UCONN. Just shows how the experts can be wrong. How could an unranked team go into a miny tournament and beat one ranked team after another. The answer is of course Kemba Walker. Boy has he improved. If he keeps playing like this he'll definitely be a top 5 pick by years end. He's simply playing terrific basketball. If Brandon Knight doesn't see him again he'll be a happy camper.

Jones jumpshot is fixable. He has a little too much arm in his shot. Almost as if he's throwing the basketball instead of having more wrist in the shot. If throwing a baseball they would say your slinging the baseball instead of throwing it.. His other problem, as pointed out by the announcers is that although he's left handed, he shoot the ball from the right side of his head. This could mean that his right eye is his control eye. Very common for this to happen without a player knowing it. Its also common amongst people that shoot skeet or trap. Which is why they teach you to shoot a shotgun with both eyes open, so as not to let one eye take over.

Simple method to tell is to hold your index finger up directly out in front of your nose. With both eyes open, your finger will appear to be right in the center. Then close your right eye and see if the finger moves. If it does, repeat the process by closing your left eye. Your finger should still appear to be in the center. If so then your right eye is your control eye. Could be the case with Jones without his realizing it. Or just a bad habit.. Anyway, he a very athletic and coordinated player. There's no reason he can't learn to shoot properly.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
First of all, they have to rank UCONN. Just shows how the experts can be wrong. How could an unranked team go into a miny tournament and beat one ranked team after another. The answer is of course Kemba Walker. Boy has he improved. If he keeps playing like this he'll definitely be a top 5 pick by years end. He's simply playing terrific basketball. If Brandon Knight doesn't see him again he'll be a happy camper.

Jones jumpshot is fixable. He has a little too much arm in his shot. Almost as if he's throwing the basketball instead of having more wrist in the shot. If throwing a baseball they would say your slinging the baseball instead of throwing it.. His other problem, as pointed out by the announcers is that although he's left handed, he shoot the ball from the right side of his head. This could mean that his right eye is his control eye. Very common for this to happen without a player knowing it. Its also common amongst people that shoot skeet or trap. Which is why they teach you to shoot a shotgun with both eyes open, so as not to let one eye take over.

Simple method to tell is to hold your index finger up directly out in front of your nose. With both eyes open, your finger will appear to be right in the center. Then close your right eye and see if the finger moves. If it does, repeat the process by closing your left eye. Your finger should still appear to be in the center. If so then your right eye is your control eye. Could be the case with Jones without his realizing it. Or just a bad habit.. Anyway, he a very athletic and coordinated player. There's no reason he can't learn to shoot properly.
Interesting. So if that is the case, does he put a blindfold on his right eye while practicing his shooting so that the left eye eventually takes over?

I'ts incredibly early to get really involved in the draft, but it does look like the Kings will get a very high pick unless they are incredibly unlucky with ping pong balls. Clipps have a lot more talent than the Kings. Other teams that aren't as talented have more experience, polish, and chemistry. Barring some blockbuster trade, we're back in the top 7 easy. If the Kings get a stud in the draft, then they're looking at three legit players: Mr X, Tyreke, and Cousins. Then if you take the Maloofs at their word, which I do, they will get a legit FA or two. In the meantime, Tyreke and Cousins go crazy with their offseason shooting and cardio programs, Greene and Casspi rededicate, Whiteside gets stronger and ready to play. Now you're talking...:D

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Interesting. So if that is the case, does he put a blindfold on his right eye while practicing his shooting so that the left eye eventually takes over?

I'ts incredibly early to get really involved in the draft, but it does look like the Kings will get a very high pick unless they are incredibly unlucky with ping pong balls. Clipps have a lot more talent than the Kings. Other teams that aren't as talented have more experience, polish, and chemistry. Barring some blockbuster trade, we're back in the top 7 easy. If the Kings get a stud in the draft, then they're looking at three legit players: Mr X, Tyreke, and Cousins. Then if you take the Maloofs at their word, which I do, they will get a legit FA or two. In the meantime, Tyreke and Cousins go crazy with their offseason shooting and cardio programs, Greene and Casspi rededicate, Whiteside gets stronger and ready to play. Now you're talking...:D
Sounds good! Your hired. I don't know for what position, but your hired. As far as the eye goes, its really not that big a deal unless it causes bad habits. Thats why you shoot a shotgun with both eyes open, as oppossed to a rifle where you close one eye. He just needs to be taught to shoot the ball the right way and everything else will adjust itself. His motion really needs work. Normally your hand and wrist lead the shot with the arm following. His shot looks like it has more arm in it with the hand and wrist following. Which is more like a throwing motion. If you notice most of his shots are long when they miss. Comes from too much arm, or muscle if you will in the shot. I know I'm not explaining this well. Sorry, best I can do. No degree's in communication.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Sounds good! Your hired. I don't know for what position, but your hired. As far as the eye goes, its really not that big a deal unless it causes bad habits. Thats why you shoot a shotgun with both eyes open, as oppossed to a rifle where you close one eye. He just needs to be taught to shoot the ball the right way and everything else will adjust itself. His motion really needs work. Normally your hand and wrist lead the shot with the arm following. His shot looks like it has more arm in it with the hand and wrist following. Which is more like a throwing motion. If you notice most of his shots are long when they miss. Comes from too much arm, or muscle if you will in the shot. I know I'm not explaining this well. Sorry, best I can do. No degree's in communication.
Your explanation is fine. It reminds me of the Tyreke motion. He seems to shoot more with his arm than his wrist. I don't know what he did during the offseason, but I wish he would have literally started about five feet from the basket working on his shooting motion - over and over again. Using the wrist mostly. Then slowly expand the distance, using the same motion.

If I had one Christmas wish for the Kings, I would wish that Tyreke would find the best shooting expert in the world to work with him on his shooting. I don't know who that is, but if he has to got to Tibet to find him, that's what he needs to do. Personally, if I were him, I'd give Oscar Robertson a call - Mr Fundamental. Robertson would probably be flattered.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Your explanation is fine. It reminds me of the Tyreke motion. He seems to shoot more with his arm than his wrist. I don't know what he did during the offseason, but I wish he would have literally started about five feet from the basket working on his shooting motion - over and over again. Using the wrist mostly. Then slowly expand the distance, using the same motion.

If I had one Christmas wish for the Kings, I would wish that Tyreke would find the best shooting expert in the world to work with him on his shooting. I don't know who that is, but if he has to got to Tibet to find him, that's what he needs to do. Personally, if I were him, I'd give Oscar Robertson a call - Mr Fundamental. Robertson would probably be flattered.
I doubt we could interest Robertson. Especially as a shooting coach. One thing is for sure though. If we could he could teach Evans more than just how to shoot the ball. There wasn't much that dude couldn't do.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
While we get overly excited about the new freshmen class, Kemba Walker reminds us that there are also some very good players that are Juniors and Seniors. Two seniors that are having very good seasons so far are Jimmer Fredette of BYU and Keith Benson of Oakland. Fredette, a 6'2" PG/SG is averaging 25 PPG, 5 APG to 1.6 Turnovers per game while shooting 48.3% overall and 42.5% from beyond the arc. He's also an outstanding freethrow shooter at 88%. Only knock on Fredette is his average athleticism. He's a very smart player and is a better defender than one would think.

Benson, a 6'11" center, who will remind you of Whiteside in build and in blocking shots, is averaging 19 PPG, and 12.8 RPG to go along with 3.3 blocks per game. Both are likely 2nd round picks at the moment, but if Fredette continues to put up these numbers he'll probably move into the first round. Both players play for non BCS schools, hence the lower draft projections.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I doubt we could interest Robertson. Especially as a shooting coach. One thing is for sure though. If we could he could teach Evans more than just how to shoot the ball. There wasn't much that dude couldn't do.
Oh, I don't mean that Robertson would be the Kings shooting coach. I mean that during the summer it would be nice if Tyreke would fly to go see Robertson and have Robertson give him some tips, maybe even tutor him for several days, like Hakim did with Howard. If you want to be the best, might as well ask the best for help. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

Robertson was fantastic at using his big body backing down smaller guards and shooting ove them. Tyreke could use some of that as well.

Would be nice if Cousins could work with a "real bigman coach" Mchale or even Walton since he is around the team a little.. Would like to see cousins develop his post moves more and also not lead the league in fouls by end of year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Oh, I don't mean that Robertson would be the Kings shooting coach. I mean that during the summer it would be nice if Tyreke would fly to go see Robertson and have Robertson give him some tips, maybe even tutor him for several days, like Hakim did with Howard. If you want to be the best, might as well ask the best for help. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

Robertson was fantastic at using his big body backing down smaller guards and shooting ove them. Tyreke could use some of that as well.
Gottcha! Sorry, I misunderstood. Yeah, I don't see why that couldn't work. Players like Robertson have to have a wealth of knowledge.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Would be nice if Cousins could work with a "real bigman coach" Mchale or even Walton since he is around the team a little.. Would like to see cousins develop his post moves more and also not lead the league in fouls by end of year.
I would hope that Cousins attends the big man camp this next offseason. Almost all of our great centers and PF's have attended that camp. I privite tutor wouldn't hurt either. The amazing part about Cousins is that a lot of what he does is self taught. And a lot of it he just makes up on the fly. Imagine how good he could be with someone like Walton, or hey, even Vlade teaching him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Games of interest on television today: Kentucky vrs Boston U. Kentucky with prospects Terrence Jones and Brandon Knight. Its on ESPN 3, or also on channel 656 Sun on direct TV right now..

Also starting right now at 4:30 PST on ESPN: Ohio St. vrs Florida St. Ohio state has prospects Jared Sullinger, a freshman 6'9" PF, William Buford, a Junior 6'5" SG, and Jon Diebler, a Senior 6'6" SG.

Florida St. features: Xavior Gibson, a Junior 6'11" Center, Michael Snaer, a sophmore 6'4" SG, and Chris Singleton, a Junior 6'9" PF

Lastly we have North Carolina vrs Illinois: Illinois is a very good team. I've already seen them play twice this season so North Carolina is going to have their hands full. Illinois features D.J. Ridhardson, a sophmore 6'3" SG, Brandon Paul, a sophmore 6'4" SG, and Demetri McCamey, a senior 6'3" PG. McCamey is a pretty good playmaker.
North Carolina features top prospect Harrison Barnes, a freshman 6'8" SF, John Henson, a sophmore 6'10" PF, Tyler Zeller, a Junior 6'11" center, Leslie McDonald, a sophmore 6'4" SG, and finally, Dexter Strickland, a sophmore 6'3" SG. Should be a good game.. Enjoy. This game is also on ESPN following the Ohio St/Florida St. game

I was very impressed with Demetri McCamey tonight and have been this year and last. Solid playmaker, very good college 3pt shooter, could make a solid/big PG for us at the next level, but dont know if his ball handling skills translate to starting NBA PG level. Either way I feel like he won't be getting drafted as high as we most likely will be picking.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I was very impressed with Demetri McCamey tonight and have been this year and last. Solid playmaker, very good college 3pt shooter, could make a solid/big PG for us at the next level, but dont know if his ball handling skills translate to starting NBA PG level. Either way I feel like he won't be getting drafted as high as we most likely will be picking.
Glad you brought him up. This is the third time I've seen him play this year, and he's impressed the hell out of me every time. I think his ballhandling is fine. There are times when I think he has eyes in the back of his head. The thing I love the most about him is that he makes great passes, and he makes them look ho hum. Effortless and easy, like anyone could make them. I'm not sure how his defense will translate to the next level, but he certainly brings enough other skills to make up for it. He's a lot of fun to watch.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kemba Walker threw up another 30 pt. game last night. Impressive start of the season for him. So far, no let up for him. Be interesting to see if he can keep this up and keep the team winning at the same time. So far they seem to be related.

Anyone care to catch me up on how Brandon Knight & Kyrie Irving are doing so far?
Irving is looking very good. 27 pts so far. Looks like he is deserving some of the Jason Williams comparisons he had got coming into Duke (and by Williams, I mean the Duke Williams). His best two games this year have been against Mich. St. and K-State (their best two opponents) against Kalin Lucas and Jacob Pullen (the best two guards theyve played). Shows great flashes scoring and playmaking. He has had some incredible drives to the hoop, very smooth.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Very impressive performance by Mister Irving tonight. 31 points and he shot pretty efficiently too. I didn't really watch the game so I can't speculate on what he did and didn't do well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Very impressive performance by Mister Irving tonight. 31 points and he shot pretty efficiently too. I didn't really watch the game so I can't speculate on what he did and didn't do well.
Irving has been as advertised. Looks at the moment like a lock for a top five pick, depending on the needs of those picking. Knight's been pretty good. Not a pure pt guard in the strict sense of the word. He's a very good shooter, and has very good quickness. Not as quick as Wall or Irving, but certainly above average quicknes, and he has good size for a PG. At the college level he's a good defender, and I see no reason that can't translate to the NBA. If I have to choose between Irving and Knight, I'm taking Irving. But Knight is a good prospect.

Great game for Honeycutt against Kansas, in Kansas. Hit the game tying 3pointer but freakin refs gave a BS foul to an out of control heave at the basket.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Great game for Honeycutt against Kansas, in Kansas. Hit the game tying 3pointer but freakin refs gave a BS foul to an out of control heave at the basket.
Very nice game by Honeycutt. There could be a lot of talent in this upcoming draft, especially if key freshmen come out.

N

nbaFan

I say we go for PG Kyrie Irving. Looks like hes gonna be a stud.
I agree, he'd be my target as well. That would be a pretty tough back court with Tyreke,exciting up tempo game.He would be great for JT as well, get him involved with quick ball movement. We need a top 3 pick to get him and were on are way

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He looks pretty good but idk he's pretty short and weak.
Kemba is listed at 6'1". Which is about average for a PG. Of course we'll know for sure when he attends the combine. His weight is listed at 172 pounds. Not Charles Atlas weight, but not terrible either. Right now he's playing like one of the best players in college basketball so you have to give him his due. Still a long ways to go.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Just finished watching the Kentucky/North Carolina game. Unless you were a North Carolina fan, it was a terribly officiated game. They fouled out 3 of Kentucky's starters including their center, and also fouled out their backup center. The Ref's must have gone to school at North Carolina. Despite this North Carolina barely won the game. College officiating has always left something to be desired, but usually its not one sided.