Bench players
Chen Lixin, 6-0, 1984
Pan Li, 5-11, 1985
Zhang Fan, 6-2, 1984
Ji Xiao, 6-4, 1986
Ma Zengyu, 6-0, 1983
Ren Lei, 6-0, 1982
Liu Dan, 6-4, 1986

The team is very young and inexperienced. I expect Monarchs to win this one by a 15-20 pt margin.

Center Chen Nan (6-5, 1983), recently signed by the San Antonio Silver Stars (but won't be in WNBA until 2006 due to some contract issues), is with the team but probably wont play due to an injury. So is Ye Li (6-4, 1981), a key to the team's offense (but better known as Yao Ming's girlfriend).

Last edited:
Yea! Sacramento Basketball! :D

So it appears that Yo, Demaya, Ticha and Brunson are not playing, some of them still overseas and others--::shrugs::. The first round pick Haynie still has a bad wheel, scrimmaged vs. PHX but it not likely to play today. Here are some quick notes I jotted down from Coach's pregame interview:

-Maiga playing more under control
-Anderson rebounding well
-The Rutgers player is "his type of player"
-Maio Maio is a nice quick guard, playing well despite language barrier
-Really likes the draft pick Haynie said she is a fine PG

On the game: Ruthie just came in and got a loud ovation. Powell has 2 buckets I think. M's lead 13-8

Observations.....

First of all, I was pretty darn happy to be in an "arena" watching the M's play ball FINALLY....the clock moved waaaaaaaaay too slow this afternoon.

Ok, I know this is a Chinese Nat'l team still trying to get its legs underneath it, and we happen to have two of its best players playing in the home whites - but folks....let this sink in for a minute....the Monarchs scored 103 points tonight with 3/5 of its starting line up, and one of its key bench reserves not on the floor. AND...having acknowledged how difficult it has been to learn coach's complex motion offense. 103 pts. As well as the group of players did finding each other in the half court offense, and in the open floor in transition - I would hate to see what they would have looked like if they had the offensive scheme completely figured out. There really weren't any lineups that he threw out there that did not look for, and often find the open seam for a pass. There were times they tried to fit passes in and the defenders were able to seal the seams off pretty quickly when it took too long to deliver the pass or the pass was too telegraphed.

Anybody else who saw the game tonight...were you as giddy as I was watching the ball whip around the perimeter for a change instead of having someone slowly walk it from side to side or stand there pounding a dribble incessantly? There was actually purposeful movement going on and stuff happening when people moved.

Beyond that, regardless of who ultimately makes G Whiz' roster - this team is going to be quicker and much more athletic than Monarchs teams we've seen in the past.

Miao - is an EXTREMELY quick point guard who can shoot. She ran the offense very well in the minutes she had. Kara had some quicks tonight too and she was having a lot of fun out there on the floor.

Anderson - somebody taught her how to grab and hook a little. She made a basket off one of her (college) patented spin moves in the paint. Can't remember who gave her the pass but she felt her defender and spun the opposite direction of any help defender and layed the ball in. She looked more aggressive than I've seen her in a long time.

Buescher - what DIDN'T she do in this game?!?!? She was EVERY-WHERE. She can pass, she can muscle up defend, she can handle the ball in transition, she can rebound, she had quick hands. I'd like to see her once more next week just to see how she follows this performance up. But she moved off the bubble in my book. Her size and ability to play up and guard forwards or down to handle guards, and the fact that she can go to the basket and shoot from the perimeter made Mendiola, Bolton and maybe now even Maiga bubble players.

Newton - her play tonight in my mind makes it even harder for Mendiola to get a spot. Why? Because coach had her running point when she was in the game. She instantly became more versatile than I had originally thought. She is EXTREMELY quick, on her feet and with her hands defensively. I had her on the IR, she can use some more seasoning and maybe a few more pounds too. I can see why coach loves her. If Haynie can't get healthy by the opening of the season, I could totally see Newton getting her active roster spot, and Lawson playing more point behind Ticha than was originally scripted until Haynie's ankle is healthy. But I see no reason why Newton does not make this team.

O-Scott - I still love her game. If the whistle-happy refs had let her play, she would not have had 3 fouls on her before the doors opened. I can't see coach going into the season with just one player legitimately in the middle to back Yo besides Anderson. But I dunno.

FeiFei-I'm going to reserve judgment on her. I'd like to give her a pass since she was the focal point of a lot of the media attention and this was a very meaningful game from her. But she was not nearly as impressive as Miao was. But she can shoot the ball pretty well.

Powell - looked like the old Stanford Powell. Amazing what a few more minutes and a little confidence from your coach will do for your game. This offense fits her skills well.

The refs were much too whistle happy in the game. The game wasn't all that physical for the number of fouls they had called in each half.

I'm going to guess this was one of the first few days Yo has been back in town. (phew) She looked to be in very good spirits (double phew) and she snuck up behind C Whiz and tugged at his pants to get his attention and give him a handshake and hug. (triple phew). A very enjoyable lighthearted moment as the teams came out for halftime. They were having a half-court shot contest with some fans, once that was done some of the Monarchs wanted to get into it. Kara I guess had made a side bet with Yo that she could hit one and Kara sank her half-court shot and chased Yo down until she opened her wallet and counted out some bills.

I guess a couple of people are going to get axed tonight or tomorrow so he can activate Brunson and sign and activate Griffith, then have a few days of practice before Phoenix comes into town. Hopefully DeMya and Ticha aren't too long behind.

But I walked away definitely impressed with what I saw with the offense. What I saw them needing work on was their defensive movement and rotations. They left waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many shooters open. That final unit of players really started sagging off and the Chinese team closed the gap but they were pretty close to putting a 40pt deficit on them a few times. The M's team was too quick for them to keep the transition game from going nuts. But 103-79 was a pretty good way to get things started.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Wow!! As usual, we get a great, detailed report from MBF. What would we do without you, kiddo?

After this report, I am more encouraged than ever. It sounds like everyone was playing with enthusiasm and energy. I want this team's average age to get younger. Doesn't mean we can't have a couple of the older veterans. They are crucial since they have the experience against other players in the league. However, youth often equals energy (especially off the bench) and I am convinced that we will need that energy to run coach's offense effectively. Sounds like they were doing just that. GO MONARCHS!!

I agree with KBailey that Tanti has now become a bubble player. I'm also thinking that Ruthie will retire before the season starts, although it would be great for her to get some job with the team and stick around -- assistant strength and conditioning coach? There are so many offensive weapons out there! :D

As we left the arena, we were pondering who the next cuts would be -- probably two since I expect Yo to be suited up Monday. (Quadruple whew! I was very nervous when the program listed her as "Not signed but expected to join the team") We were thinking Greenwalt and Grima would go next -- but then this morning we saw the stats and they both had good games.

I'm with KB about Newton, too. She's definitely a Coach Whiz type of player -- and very quick. I had slipped into a small funk thinking how slow this team would be, but there is a lot of speed out there. It's amazing how small they make the court look, too, when they move so well on offense.

I'm feeling very good about the Monarchs. I can't wait to see them against the Mercury next Thursday -- I think that will be a better test of their readiness for league play.

GO MONARCHS!!!!

HoopMatron

Well from the paper today, we should know who gets the cut by 3pm tomorrow when practice starts; Yo and Becky are expected to be activated. This is undoubtedly be another deep Monarchs Roster.

Totally agree with everything MBF said......

The Chinese women were very fast, and I was surprised the Monarchs kept up with them. Last year's starters would not have been able to keep up, they were that fast. The Chinese team also made most of their freethrows. They are still learning alot of the game, but I think they'll just keep getting better. I was sitting almost directly behind their bench, and thought it must be difficult communication-wise for them. The coach, Australian Tom Maher (sp), is giving instructions, and there are 2 interpreters repeating everything. They players were looking from one to the other. I suppose they just have to get used to it.

The offense was more balanced, points were distributed all around, so that's really nice. I'd like to see Chantelle develop more of an outside shot. She had a few open looks about 10'-12' out, but she passed it off. Tanti still very physical and fast. Kara was doing well at the point, glad to see her knocking down shots. Miao - wow....she's very fast, and she kept moving. I liked the fact that Olympia Scot was fired up and trying to get her teammates motivated as well. She's sorta like Tot in that she's got at least 2 fouls on her the moment she steps onto the court, but she can really bang under the basket.

Especially impressed with: Miao, Buescher(!!!!), Powell, and Newton.

Ruthie did come out to an ovation, but I'm sorry, I don't think she's going to make it.....She did ok on defense, but her shot was way off. I was also not impressed with Mendiola....I didn't think she maximized her minutes, there's no box score, and with age setting in my memory is well, you know.....but I didn't think she scored at all...please correct me if I'm wrong. But again, not impressed......

I hope when the rest of the veterans show up, they can feed off these newbies. They have energy, and know they have to work hard to make the team.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I certainly hope that, if Bolton isn't destined to make the team, that they show her the respect to let her retire, rather than cut her outright.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
I certainly hope that, if Bolton isn't destined to make the team, that they show her the respect to let her retire, rather than cut her outright.
I certainly hope so too, Slim. Ruthie Bolton is a class individual, as well as a pioneer in this league. She has done more for the game in Sacramento than anyone else. She is idolized by the kids even to this day. She deserves the opportunity to retire rather than be cut like a 4th round draft pick.

How cute...

Was this before the game?

Geez I hope this won't be the only opportunity to get face time with the players. I couldn't get to the game this week but definately looking forward to this thursday.
It took til august to get another STH function with the team before. It looked like they were having alot of fun though.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Luv13fan said:
Was this before the game?

Geez I hope this won't be the only opportunity to get face time with the players. I couldn't get to the game this week but definately looking forward to this thursday.
It took til august to get another STH function with the team before. It looked like they were having alot of fun though.
This year's Race for the Cure was held on Saturday. A Monarchs contingent (including most of the players) has been participating in the event for several years. It looks like the picture comes from there.

6th said:
This year's Race for the Cure was held on Saturday. A Monarchs contingent (including most of the players) has been participating in the event for several years. It looks like the picture comes from there.
Correct. Great event, saw many Monarchs and even Koz--well I at least heard him. I was talking with some Monarchs Sales Rep people there and they told me that Edna was there running! Not only that but for the Breast Cancer Awareness night, the Monarchs are going to fly her out here to Sacramento (I believe her Starz are in DC the night before) for the special events they have (which are also supposed to be bigger this year) + the M's game and then fly her back to her team all becasue of how much the M's and the events mean to her! Two words: Class Act!

That's pretty cool that Edna's coming back for Breast Cancer Awareness night...

I snapped a couple of pictures of the group at the start of the race, but somehow I missed getting to the Expo Hall while the players were still there...darnit.

No, I don't recall Mendiola making a shot or scoring. I do recall her taking at least one shot from the perimeter.

I'm pretty sure Ruthie will be given the opportunity to retire and exit the stage gracefully...but I think she needs to get to the point where she mentally wants to retire, and I don't get the impression she's there yet from what I've read from her when she signed her training camp invitee contract.

Luv13Fan said:

I got an email from the Monarchs recently, which included this tidbit:
[font=Verdana, Arial]Save the Date!!
Meet the Monarchs on June 5. We hope you'll be able to come out for this fun event and meet all the members of your 2005 Sacramento Monarchs team! More information on this event will be sent in the coming weeks.
[/font]

HoopMatron said:
I got an email from the Monarchs recently, which included this tidbit:
[font=Verdana, Arial]Save the Date!!
Meet the Monarchs on June 5. We hope you'll be able to come out for this fun event and meet all the members of your 2005 Sacramento Monarchs team! More information on this event will be sent in the coming weeks.
[/font]
I got the same thing.... June 5, a SUNDAY...

I know the weekday events are usually in the evening, and I hope this one is too, cause some of us work on the weekends... if they schedule the time too early I won't be able to go. I'm already taking Saturday off for Opening Day, no way I'd get the whole weekend..