Pre-Draft Workouts

Why, as in "why has he not received the invite", or why as in "why do I hope he's available to us?"

As to the former, I don't know. Per my understanding, NBA queries the teams on the players they think shall be selected, and sends invites based on that. While obviously not final, it gives an idea on the players teams might select.

As for the latter, I think he will be a good fit for us. He fills a need, is likely a good kid with solid work habits, and, according to me, a steal at 24. Let's see.

To keep travel time simple for ma and pa Murray, I kind of hope we select Kris.
Otherwise, i’m pretty damn excited about the potential of several players likely to be available at 24.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
To keep travel time simple for ma and pa Murray, I kind of hope we select Kris.
Otherwise, i’m pretty damn excited about the potential of several players likely to be available at 24.
The Lakers or Warriors are taking Kris with their pick so the travel time for the Murray family shouldn't be too bad either way.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Prosper was working more on his SF game, Marquette switches everything they are very multi-positionally focused and for Prosper, the paramount area that needed refinement was the ability to develop the catch and shoot 3ball. If he was at some smaller school starting at PF and tasked with playing closer to the paint getting big minutes surely he'd have had way more blocks. Part of it too was just the dynamics of the teams he was on in college, they had Oso Ighodaro at Marquette whos plenty capable of defending the rim as he's quite light footed and has plenty of recovery speed at the college level meaning it wasnt going to hurt their rim protection for Prosper to be out on the perimeter. Then he had Aamir Simms/Hunter Tyson/PJ Hall in his forgettable year 1 at Clemson, Simms was by far the best player on that team n hes same position same height n O-Max was a lot skinnier n a freshman then, far from ideal situation to put up stats.

Id argue if theres one thing you can say Prosper should be better at in the NBA than he was in college, it'd be him getting more blocks.. One of the reasons you take a player like this is to develop him further, he's far from finished n appears to be improving rapidly.

This is why everything about O-Max screams "some playoff team is gonna wanna keep everything really quiet about him"

He is a good defender, but more so than your classic "3-and-D" archetype, I'd argue he's actually more of a 3's and Dunks who can also defend and oreb type of guy whos max energy. IIRC he had something like 40 dunks and 40 3's on the season n there was only a handful of players in the nation who did that.

The thing with the Kings is like this too... Denver just won the chip, Sabonis is in fact one of the closest C's in the league to Jokic, could Prosper be groomed to function for us like an Aaron Gordon off the bench? AG is one of those 3s n Dunks n defense n energy n oboards types...

Full disclosure -- I'm an unabashed biased O-Max supporter and have been for years actually so take that into consideration, I was keeping an eye on him at Clemson... I've been pointing him out on this forum for the Kings picks (at first it was at the bottom of the 2nd rd) for many months prior to all this hype he's gotten recently too.
How is his rebounding? The stat is saw was 4.7 rebs/game, which is pretty paltry.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Why, as in "why has he not received the invite", or why as in "why do I hope he's available to us?"

As to the former, I don't know. Per my understanding, NBA queries the teams on the players they think shall be selected, and sends invites based on that. While obviously not final, it gives an idea on the players teams might select.

As for the latter, I think he will be a good fit for us. He fills a need, is likely a good kid with solid work habits, and, according to me, a steal at 24. Let's see.
What need? I thought we needed rebounding and defense. Is that his strength?

Shams Charania interview with Emoni Bates. At least he is saying a few of the right things:

Most of the Kings players are unusually articulate, especially Fox, Lyles, and Barnes. Bates speaks pretty well, I think, and answers the questions directly if not in great detail.

What need? I thought we needed rebounding and defense. Is that his strength?
He pulled down 8.9 rebounds per game last year, so that's probably not too much of a concern.

I think he's overall a smart player. Plus, if he is anything like his brother, he is a good kid, a hard worker, a team player, and an overall nice player. I would much rather take a chance on such a player with the 24th pick, than one with more question marks.

As to need, Barnes and Lyels are FA. Sasha is not yet signed, and will also be untested in the NBA. While I certainly expect Monte to likely bring them all back/over, or find suitable replacements, there are no guarantees till the deal is signed.

In either case, team, ownership, management, and fans, all expect the team to make a deeper PO run next year. I don't expect the rookies (except Sasha) to get much time. This is a question of longer term need/fit. Even if Barnes is back, we will need his replacement in couple of years.

We don't have a FRP next year, and once Domas is extended, no money to get a good wing. A good pick now, with couple of years of development can take major minutes from Barnes. One can argue that there are better options than Kris, but we will need more than defense and rebounding in a couple of years. We'll also need scoring, particularly from outside.

ya know one name that I hope doesnt leak if we work them out --- Olivier-Maxence Prosper... That should be like super top secret level 3A classified information

I say he's too obvious a match, last thing we need to do is tip our hand in that direction.
Trying to gage how highly you view him.

I posed the question about Kris Murray a few days ago. Say the same deal was on the table to get O-Max: Trade up to whatever with pick 38 and you 100% secure him. You taking that deal?

The Lakers or Warriors are taking Kris with their pick so the travel time for the Murray family shouldn't be too bad either way.
I see him listed at no. 24 on the above draft board and 25 at ESPN. If you have a chance to take Dead-Eye Dick's twin brother, what a windfall that would be! Besides, his number at Iowa was 24. It's karma.

You actually believe their rankings mean something?
I think they mean something. Of course, final picks will be different, and some players will see huge rise/fall from these positions. However, I think a large number of players will be picked around these projected numbers.

I understand that different rankings might rank the same players quite differently. I don't know which ones are more reliable. Just saw this one first and mentioned it. Haven't checked where other boards rank him.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they mean something. Of course, final picks will be different, and some players will see huge rise/fall from these positions. However, I think a large number of players will be picked around these projected numbers.

I understand that different rankings might rank the same players quite differently. I don't know which ones are more reliable. Just saw this one first and mentioned it. Haven't checked where other boards rank him.
The Ringer and Vecenie (who is far more plugged in than nbadraft.net) both currently have the Kings taking Prosper at #24.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He pulled down 8.9 rebounds per game last year, so that's probably not too much of a concern.

I think he's overall a smart player. Plus, if he is anything like his brother, he is a good kid, a hard worker, a team player, and an overall nice player. I would much rather take a chance on such a player with the 24th pick, than one with more question marks.

As to need, Barnes and Lyels are FA. Sasha is not yet signed, and will also be untested in the NBA. While I certainly expect Monte to likely bring them all back/over, or find suitable replacements, there are no guarantees till the deal is signed.

In either case, team, ownership, management, and fans, all expect the team to make a deeper PO run next year. I don't expect the rookies (except Sasha) to get much time. This is a question of longer term need/fit. Even if Barnes is back, we will need his replacement in couple of years.

We don't have a FRP next year, and once Domas is extended, no money to get a good wing. A good pick now, with couple of years of development can take major minutes from Barnes. One can argue that there are better options than Kris, but we will need more than defense and rebounding in a couple of years. We'll also need scoring, particularly from outside.
The Kings need rebounding and defense next year, not a couple of years from now. If Kris is the BPA on the board, fine, but I'm not all that enamored with getting a clone of Keegan to place at the other forward spot. I'd much rather have a legit long 4 who is a legit defensive/rebounding force to complement Keegan and Sabonis.

The Ringer and Vecenie (who is far more plugged in than nbadraft.net) both currently have the Kings taking Prosper at #24.
That’s exactly what I was hinting at. It’s the source.

We all know these drafts are often “crap shoots”. But there are some draft analysts and sites that are much more credible than others. I’ve never seen nbadraft.net as anything more than the usual run of the mill NFL mock draft fan site. They throw $#/t at the wall to see what sticks.

The top 5-10 prospects are usually easy to figure out, even if they don’t go in that particular order. It’s after that point that they are usually quite clueless about.

The Kings need rebounding and defense next year, not a couple of years from now. If Kris is the BPA on the board, fine, but I'm not all that enamored with getting a clone of Keegan to place at the other forward spot. I'd much rather have a legit long 4 who is a legit defensive/rebounding force to complement Keegan and Sabonis.
What we need will likely not be served by a late FRP rookie. That need will need to be met via trade/FA, and I'm fine if the FRP is part of the package to get that.

My limited point is that while everyone talks about defense and rebounding (not downplaying their importance at all), ultimately, you need an all round game to succeed. Not saying you have to be elite at everything (those are MVP candidates), or even elite at one thing and good at others (all-stars). However, if you have gaping holes in your game, on either end, then your elite skills are sometimes canceled out.

Take the example of Davion. I love the guy, his attitude, and the energy he brings, and hate to use him as an example here. He is an elite defender playing for a team begging for defense. However, in the finals, when his shooting was off, Brown had to cut his minutes. The same will be the story at the forward position. If we pick based solely on defense and rebounding, teams will be able to load up on Domas more easily.

I think Kris fits the bill, but if he's available, and Monte thinks some other kid is better for us, that's fine.

Miami does a great job with development. They know how to bring guys with IQ along.

makes me curious about Neemi. I think we did the right things with him this year. He showed real improvement and I hope he is ready to make a jump…

https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/q/quetane01d.html
I think the reason Neemi never got a chance with the big club is because he doesn't shoot the 3. His offensive game is in the paint, like Richaun. He can't stretch the floor.

On paper, he would seem like the perfect candidate to bring up from the G-League, but he hasn't sniffed the big leagues. If Neemi was around 20 years ago, he would probably be a rotation player.

I'm hoping he gets a shot at the 3rd Center spot, he can fill Len role for defensive and rebounding purposes, with a chance for more upside.

I think the reason Neemi never got a chance with the big club is because he doesn't shoot the 3. His offensive game is in the paint, like Richaun. He can't stretch the floor.

On paper, he would seem like the perfect candidate to bring up from the G-League, but he hasn't sniffed the big leagues. If Neemi was around 20 years ago, he would probably be a rotation player.

I'm hoping he gets a shot at the 3rd Center spot, he can fill Len role for defensive and rebounding purposes, with a chance for more upside.
He has a pretty nice shot.

I'm sure he could be ok shooting