Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

I'd still love to try and trade for Jabari Smith or Tari Eason. Both have great potential to be the ideal fit at PF next to Sabonis.

Some of these guys are going to be squeezed out looking at their rotation...

PG - VanVleet / Porter
SG - Green / Christopher
SF - Thompson / Brooks / Tate
PF - Smith / Eason / Whitmore / Green
C - Sengun / Landale

...especially considering they have Smith, Eason, & Whitmore at PF now. I'd imagine that HOU might be more interested in a quantity for quality type of trade (which I don't think we're a great fit for), but perhaps they are also interested in trading some of these guys for future assets to avoid these log jams they seem to currently have.

How much could cost us a trade with Chicago for Pat Williams?

They are still trying to compite with Derozan, Lavine and Vucevic and Lonzo will be out this year, may they have some interest in acquiring Davion to be their starting PG?

Davion + '28 1st + '30 1st

May it works? Which other assets could we include to make the deal?

I think Pat is a really interesting option. A player with great defense and with excellent 3pt % who could be cheaper than OG, he is still only 21 and has a team oriented mind, something that Monte loves. He is used to play in a low usage roll and wouldn't demand so many shots as OG, who was reported to want a bigger role to resign with the Raptors.

We would lost our backup PG but Monk can run the second unit, especially if he share the court with Sabonis, who would be the real team organizator.

PG: Fox (32) Monk (16)
SG: Huerter (28) Duarte (10) Monk (10)
SF: Murray (29) Barnes (19)
PF: Williams (26) Sasha (20) HB (2)
C: Sabonis (32) Lyles (16)

Not sure how we can get him. He will get claimed off waivers by a lower ranked team
Maybe the teams that have the space to claim him aren’t interested or teams interested don’t have cap space or roster spot. Plenty of teams passed on him before. It’s unlikely we will get him but there’s still a slim chance.

How much cap space do the Kings have at this point? Not much, I imagine. Wood doesn't have a great reputation, but it seems like a risk worth taking. If he either rejects the offer or doesn't work out, what have you lost? If he embraces the system and opportunity, you suddenly have a deeper, more flexible frontcourt. Bonus: Wood doesn't come back to haunt the Kings as a Laker or working cheaply some other team trying to compete in the West.

How much cap space do the Kings have at this point? Not much, I imagine. Wood doesn't have a great reputation, but it seems like a risk worth taking. If he either rejects the offer or doesn't work out, what have you lost? If he embraces the system and opportunity, you suddenly have a deeper, more flexible frontcourt. Bonus: Wood doesn't come back to haunt the Kings as a Laker or working cheaply some other team trying to compete in the West.
We can forget about signing players with cap space till 2026-27. The max we can offer anyone is the MLE (around $12.4 M per year).

EDIT: As others mentioned, we are operating as a cap space team and can't use the Non-taxpayer MLE this year.

Last edited:
We can forget about signing players with cap space till 2026-27. The max we can offer anyone is the MLE (around $12.4 M per year).
By my calculations (assuming Barnes received 8% raises and Sabonis received a $7.7 mil pay raise this year), we would still have $5 mil in cap space at the moment and that could climb to $6.3 mil if we waive Dozier.

Also, we can’t use the MLE this year as it appears we’ve operated as a cap space team (and are using the Room Exception on Sasha).

Last edited:
well we dont have any cap space

Cant we sign a FA using our 12 mil MLE?

or possibly use the Holmes TPE to trade for a player?

Roster looks full if Queta signed, but PJ Dozer is not fully guar until 7/10

We operated as a team with cap space this off-season which means we can’t use the MLE or BAE. However, cap space teams are given a Room Exception in its place (which we apparently used on Sasha).

The TPE would only be available if we were a team operating over the cap so I believe it is relinquished once we operated as a cap space team.

Having said all of that, I believe we do have $5 mil in cap space at the moment and that could climb to $6.3 mil if Dozier is waived.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Nope. As twslam07 correctly stated above, we operated as an under the cap team all offseason so we don't have the MLE. We'll have it (and likely need it) next offseason. For now we have around $5M in cap space and a bit over $6M if we waive Dozier.

Yep. I'm not sure for who, but we could. Maybe we absorb a player Portland doesn't want in a potential Lillard deal?

EDIT: twslam07 beat me to it and I'm guessing he's correct that we can't use the TPE. I'm not sure there. Paging @Capt. Factorial

Also yep. If the team were to sign Queta to an NBA contract (vs a two-way which we still have one left) then the roster would be:

C Sabonis/Len/Queta
PF Barnes/Lyles/Vezenkov
SF Murray/Edwards/Jones
SG Huerter/Monk/Duarte
PG Fox/Mitchell/Dozier

Again, not exact positions or assumed rotation, just me slotting roster spots.

Dozier isn't guaranteed and Queta isn't signed so the Kings could still have two open roster spots or none, depending on what they decide to do.

Nope. As twslam07 correctly stated above, we operated as an under the cap team all offseason so we don't have the MLE. We'll have it (and likely need it) next offseason. For now we have around $5M in cap space and a bit over $6M if we waive Dozier.

Yep. I'm not sure for who, but we could. Maybe we absorb a player Portland doesn't want in a potential Lillard deal?

EDIT: twslam07 beat me to it and I'm guessing he's correct that we can't use the TPE. I'm not sure there. Paging @Capt. Factorial

Also yep. If the team were to sign Queta to an NBA contract (vs a two-way which we still have one left) then the roster would be:

C Sabonis/Len/Queta
PF Barnes/Lyles/Vezenkov
SF Murray/Edwards/Jones
SG Huerter/Monk/Duarte
PG Fox/Mitchell/Dozier

Again, not exact positions or assumed rotation, just me slotting roster spots.

Dozier isn't guaranteed and Queta isn't signed so the Kings could still have two open roster spots or none, depending on what they decide to do.
I believe TPEs go away if you operate as a team with cap space. Otherwise you could probably trade every single one of your players for cap space and receive a TPE in its place.

For example, if you had 10 players who collectively made $100 mil total and the salary cap was also $100 mil. You could technically trade those 10 players away for 10 TPEs that total $100 mil. Then you could go out and sign free agents with your $100 mil in cap space and then use your TPEs to acquire another $100 mil in salary (bringing your payroll to $200 mil).

I think TPEs go away once you’re below the cap to prevent this loop hole from happening but perhaps I’m wrong?

Bol Bol:

21.5 MPG
9.1 PPG
5.8 RPG
1.0 APG
1.2 BPG
26.5% from 3 on 1.6 3PA

60.3% TS
15.2% TRB
18.2% USG
17.2% TOV (!!)
5.5% BLK

Outside of an absurdly high TOV rate (which makes sense when you watch him), there's some real decent stuff here in the profile. Efficient, good rebounder, great shot blocker. Not super great with impact stats, but who cares? 2/10, or whatever the rest of our cap is, would be a good flier bet.

Bol Bol:

21.5 MPG
9.1 PPG
5.8 RPG
1.0 APG
1.2 BPG
26.5% from 3 on 1.6 3PA

60.3% TS
15.2% TRB
18.2% USG
17.2% TOV (!!)
5.5% BLK

Outside of an absurdly high TOV rate (which makes sense when you watch him), there's some real decent stuff here in the profile. Efficient, good rebounder, great shot blocker. Not super great with impact stats, but who cares? 2/10, or whatever the rest of our cap is, would be a good flier bet.
I like the idea of Bol Bol but I just can't picture McNair going after him. Doesn't seem like his type of player at all. He seems to prefer more predictable, high IQ, low mistake type players. Safer players I guess you could say.

I like the idea of Bol Bol but I just can't picture McNair going after him. Doesn't seem like his type of player at all. He seems to prefer more predictable, high IQ, low mistake type players. Safer players I guess you could say.
Yeah good point. Trading for TD and drafting Ramsey are pretty much his only 2 moves in 4 years that were high upside/high risk type of bets. Seems like he very much values getting a floor with a player, even if that only means he ends up a double as a ceiling rather than a home-run.