Potential Free agent/trade/sign tracker

I’ve mentioned this in other threads, but I think Brandon Ingram would be the ideal target if he became available this offseason. Pelicans fans seem to hate the fit, and Howard Beck has said he thinks the Pelicans will make a choice between Ingram and Zion this offseason. Bit of a risk, as Ingram has just one year left on his contract, but I think we need to take a risk if we have any hope of entering the “contender” category.

Kings get:

• Brandon Ingram
• EJ Liddell

Pelicans get:

• Harrison Barnes
• Trey Lyles
• Chris Duarte
• Colby Jones
• 2024 1st
• 2028 1st

The Pelicans get a vet PF that can hit the three and defend at a reasonable level, a couple role players in Lyles and Duarte, and a young guy with upside in Colby. Obviously, the two firsts are the enticing part of the deal for the Pels, which they can use to flip for a contributor.

The Kings get the best guy in the deal, a star level player who can get his own shot and can carry the load when Fox doesn’t have it going.

Rotation:

Fox/Davion
Ellis/Huerter
Murray/Edwards/Slawson
Ingram/Sasha/Liddell
Sabonis

The above is what’s left afterwards. Great starting lineup, shaky depth. If Monk leaves in FA, I think you have to keep Huerter and use him as the microwave scorer off the bench. He can provide rebounding and playmaking as well, obviously. The backup guards would be solid, wing depth would need to be addressed for sure. Potential MLE wing targets include:

• Royce O’neal
• Derrick Jones Jr.
• Torrey Craig
• Naji Marshall
• Kyle Anderson

If you can get one of the above, I think you’d be pretty good overall. I’d re-sign Len, or someone similar, as backup C on a vet minimum. It’s certainly worth the hit in depth to get that third star guy to go with Fox/Sabonis imo. You could also consider trading Huerter for two solid bench guys to increase your depth, even if the two new bench guys aren’t as individually as good as Huerter.
if BI gets traded, I’d think it would be to either Atlanta for Trae or to Houston for Jalen Green and one of their young wings.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Trae
Herb
Murphy
Zion
Val

CJ coming off the bench .

yikes, lets hope that doesn’t happen
I don’t think that’s financially viable for the Pels to do though. Trae is a couple years from a huuuge extension and Zion has the same coming a year later. Murphy also is probably going to ask for a hefty salary bump given how he’s pretty much been their second option with Zion out and CJ sucking so they’re probably going to have to move CJ as part of the deal lest their owner wants to hit Suns levels of cap hell.

I don’t think that’s financially viable for the Pels to do though. Trae is a couple years from a huuuge extension and Zion has the same coming a year later. Murphy also is probably going to ask for a hefty salary bump given how he’s pretty much been their second option with Zion out and CJ sucking so they’re probably going to have to move CJ as part of the deal lest their owner wants to hit Suns levels of cap hell.
yeh Cj would need to be moved, they probably won’t do it because they have never been in the tax but that team could win a championship. Might be worth the financial issues for a couple years.

One solution to the "we need more length" and "we need more scoring than we had at the end of the season" is to move on from Mitchell and make Monk your primary backup point guard, and also give him some combo 2 minutes. That allows you to keep Monk's offense without having his lack of length be compounded by playing him with Mitchell.

Trade 1
Huerter/Sasha/draft consideration for Jerami Grant
Portland sheds salary, gets some shooters, gets to test Sasha's upside, and gets a draft pick.

Trade 2
Mitchell/Duarte for Finney-Smith
Jordi gets a guy he loves and for a team that has no real future point guard prospects. Duarte is another defensive piece for them.

You would have a top 9 that features Fox, Sabonis, and Monk as your core offensive initiators surrounded by 6 different wings and stretch players (Keegan, Grant, Keon, Barnes, DFS, and Lyles). You could go with a lot of different looks and a lot of flexibility and switchability on defense.

Defensively, Keon, Keegan, DFS, and Grant are all plus defenders with good size and length for their positions. Keon can guard 1-2. Keegan can guard 1-4. DFS can guard 2-4. Grant can guard 2-4. Lyles at least hustles on D, and Barnes can be hidden.

Offensively, Grant can offer another scoring option in the starting lineup. Barnes might find more value as an iso scorer off the bench. All 6 of those wing players have shown the ability to knockdown outside shots.

A core 9 could breakdown minutes as follows.

Sabonis (34) Lyles (14)
Grant (28) DFS (20)
Keegan (24) Barnes (24)
Ellis (24) Monk (16) Keegan (8)
Fox (34) Monk (14)

You still have Len's size if you need it. You still have Colby to see if he can work his way into the backcourt rotation. You have Kessler as another defensive project. And you still have 3 roster spots, the #13 draft pick, and the MLE (probably looking for a smaller 2/3 type wing who can eventually either replace Barnes, or replace DFS and push Barnes up to the backup 4).

True, but it was also based on the opposing teams coverage. I mean it can be broken down into a chicken or the egg kind of thing but I agree, in general the Kings need to both get bigger on the wing and more able to score outside of the system plays. Getting two Keegan Murrays might help, but it was Keegan who has great length that struggled the most when teams attacked the DHO. Length is a part of it, but it's not all of it, Dillon Brooks had quite a bit of success against it. The teams that showed out and switched on the DHO or attacked it had success more often than not that's a definite correlation and obviously bigger players that cover more space will have a greater impact physically. However, sometimes it was actually guards that did the most damage.
It's Length X Athleticism. The LA product. Kings are subpar in LA and are falling further behind in the race.

One solution to the "we need more length" and "we need more scoring than we had at the end of the season" is to move on from Mitchell and make Monk your primary backup point guard, and also give him some combo 2 minutes. That allows you to keep Monk's offense without having his lack of length be compounded by playing him with Mitchell.

Trade 1
Portland sheds salary, gets some shooters, gets to test Sasha's upside, and gets a draft pick.

Trade 2
Jordi gets a guy he loves and for a team that has no real future point guard prospects. Duarte is another defensive piece for them.

You would have a top 9 that features Fox, Sabonis, and Monk as your core offensive initiators surrounded by 6 different wings and stretch players (Keegan, Grant, Keon, Barnes, DFS, and Lyles). You could go with a lot of different looks and a lot of flexibility and switchability on defense.

Defensively, Keon, Keegan, DFS, and Grant are all plus defenders with good size and length for their positions. Keon can guard 1-2. Keegan can guard 1-4. DFS can guard 2-4. Grant can guard 2-4. Lyles at least hustles on D, and Barnes can be hidden.

Offensively, Grant can offer another scoring option in the starting lineup. Barnes might find more value as an iso scorer off the bench. All 6 of those wing players have shown the ability to knockdown outside shots.

Sabonis (34) Lyles (14)
Grant (28) DFS (20)
Keegan (24) Barnes (24)
Fox (34) Monk (14)

You still have Len's size if you need it. You still have Colby to see if he can work his way into the backcourt rotation. You have Kessler as another defensive project. And you still have 3 roster spots, the #13 draft pick, and the MLE (probably looking for a smaller 2/3 type wing who can eventually either replace Barnes, or replace DFS and push Barnes up to the backup 4).
This is a 4 seed team. I like it. The draft compensation would be the question here.

We still don't have enough length interior/defense though, but its better.

Trade 1

Trade 2

Sabonis (34) Lyles (14)
Grant (28) DFS (20)
Keegan (24) Barnes (24)
Fox (34) Monk (14)

I mean, we didn't have enough scoring, because a good chunk of our scoring was hurt lol.

I mean, we didn't have enough scoring, because a good chunk of our scoring was hurt lol.
I agree. But that team at the end of the season that couldn't score also played some really good defense. My fear would be that if you add back in Heurter and Monk at the expense of Keon, then you are once again just fixing one problem at the expense of another.

The key to me is how you get Monk's scoring back in the lineup without killing the defensive progress. Monk getting his minutes at the 2 alongside Fox or Mitchell makes us way too small at the guard position. However, Monk as the backup 1/2 means that only half of your Monk minutes are alongside Fox (when you really need offense) and half of your Monk minutes are alongside Keon or Keegan at the 2. That should hopefully balance some of the bad defense/good offense we had with Monk with the great defense/bad offense we had without Monk.

This is a 4 seed team. I like it. The draft compensation would be the question here.

We still don't have enough length interior/defense though, but its better.
To me, the Pellies are a great blueprint for how the Kings can make it work with Sabonis at the 5. JV is similar to Sabonis. Big, strong, but not super long and not really a rim protector. They make up for JV's lack of rim protection (and the fact that McCollum is not much of a defender), by playing a lot of length and defense at the 2-4. In the above hypothetical, we would have a lot more length and defense at the 2-4 (Keon, Keegan, Grant, and DFS). All of those guys are above average defenders with good length. Heck, you would still have Colby and Kessler as well, and both of them also profile as longish potential impact defenders. Basically, you don't need Domas to be super long and a rim protector if the guys in front of him are stopping most of the straight line drives that he would have to challenge.

To me, the Pellies are a great blueprint for how the Kings can make it work with Sabonis at the 5. JV is similar to Sabonis. Big, strong, but not super long and not really a rim protector. They make up for JV's lack of rim protection (and the fact that McCollum is not much of a defender), by playing a lot of length and defense at the 2-4. In the above hypothetical, we would have a lot more length and defense at the 2-4 (Keon, Keegan, Grant, and DFS). All of those guys are above average defenders with good length. Heck, you would still have Colby and Kessler as well, and both of them also profile as longish potential impact defenders. Basically, you don't need Domas to be super long and a rim protector if the guys in front of him are stopping most of the straight line drives that he would have to challenge.
We were 8th in defense over the last 30ish games. If Monk leaves, you could go out and try to get Delon Wright back. He would replace most of Monk’s playmaking and be much better defensively. Move HB to the bench for scoring, give Colby Duarte’s minutes and find a 4 that can be a scoring threat. A top 8 defense that can sneak back into the top 10 offensively is a legit threat.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
We already knew that otherwise that loser Billups would have been fired last year :D
a) would have never hired him
b) would have hired Jordi after drafting Kris
c) probably wouldn't have given Grant that stupid contract in the first place knowing Dame was gone
d) probably would have given Dame a heads up on Oregon parental custody before he decided to announce a divorce a week after the trade

Yeah, 13 and Davion would be the top offer I'd hope, Ellis would be a non starter lol. The Blazers are the ones needing to move Grant, and while the Kings could use Grant they shouldn't be desperate. If the Kings can't land a direct trade target, cut some salary and make the most of the MLE.

We finally fixed or defense (mostly). Not shipping out one of the main reasons for that.

Also, can we just simulate the rest of the nba season so we can get to the draft and free agency? Spoil alert: Denver spanks The Foul Merchanteers 4-1 and then loses to Boston 4-2
And Grant while a better player than Keon isn't worth a lotto pick even if it's an iffy draft AND what appears to be a cheap, solid role player in Keon. Also assuming Barnes is totally worthless is a mistake. Barnes might be someone to work in a 3 team deal so they can send him somewhere and maybe get something else for the Blazers as well. The Kings trade target package would likely include Huerter who is still young enough to entice a team as a wait and see option I'd think.

Lets say hypothetically the Celtics disappoint in the playoffs, would anyone be OK with Monte offering up:

13th pick/28' first rounder
Keegan Murray
Keon Ellis
Harrison Barnes

for

Jaylen Brown

Personally I'm not sure about it. I lean towards no.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's clearly time for a Player A/Player B here:

Player A:
PER 15.4
TS% .573
TRB% 5.8
AST% 13.8
STL% 1.2
BLK% 1.7
USG% 25.7
DWS 1.0 (1830 minutes)
WS/48 0.071

Player B:
PER 12.0
TS% .627
TRB% 7.1
AST% 11.1
STL% 2.5
BLK% 2.7
USG% 12.4
DWS 1.2 (978 minutes)
WS/48 0.114

Oh, and...
Player A
4/$132M

Player B
2/$4.5M

Yeah...let's trade Keon for Jerami Grant, sounds like a great idea.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

Player A:
PER 15.4
TS% .573
TRB% 5.8
AST% 13.8
STL% 1.2
BLK% 1.7
USG% 25.7
DWS 1.0 (1830 minutes)
WS/48 0.071

Player B:
PER 12.0
TS% .627
TRB% 7.1
AST% 11.1
STL% 2.5
BLK% 2.7
USG% 12.4
DWS 1.2 (978 minutes)
WS/48 0.114

Oh, and...
Player A
4/$132M

Player B
2/$4.5M

Keon Ellis out-rebounding Jerami Grant this season should kill Grant's inevitable run as a fan favorite topic of trade speculation for this whole off-season but it probably won't.

Keon Ellis out-rebounding Jerami Grant this season should kill Grant's inevitable run as a fan favorite topic of trade speculation for this whole off-season but it probably won't.
And it shouldn't, the Kings aren't struggling on the boards but they are in having a player that can get their own shot and that has the needed size at F. However, Monte should use those eternal Barnes level rebounding numbers against the Blazers if and when the time comes. :p

Player A:
PER 15.4
TS% .573
TRB% 5.8
AST% 13.8
STL% 1.2
BLK% 1.7
USG% 25.7
DWS 1.0 (1830 minutes)
WS/48 0.071

Player B:
PER 12.0
TS% .627
TRB% 7.1
AST% 11.1
STL% 2.5
BLK% 2.7
USG% 12.4
DWS 1.2 (978 minutes)
WS/48 0.114

Oh, and...
Player A
4/$132M

Player B
2/$4.5M

Not sold on Keon as a starter. He did an amazing job against the Warriors, but came back and played absoulutey putrid against the Pelicans. In 28mins of action, he produced: 0pts 1ast 2blks 1to 0rebs.

In games where he's played at least 20mpg, he's scored 5pts or less in 7 of them.. he needs a lot more confidence in his offense.

If we can get Grant without giving up Keegan, I would do it in a heartbeat. Keon should not be the piece that makes you pause on a potential trade. There's not much that separates Keon from other random role players like Josh Okogie, Garrison Matthews, Craig Porter, etc.

I would not trade Keon and #13 for Grant, and agree Grant isn't the solution to all of our problems, but let's also not pretend that upgrading Barnes' spot in the starting lineup to Grant, and keeping Barnes off the bench doesn't solve a lot of problems. If you can trade Huerter, #13 and filler for Grant then you do it.

Starting Grant, Keegan, and Ellis gives us three very strong, rangy defenders in the starting lineup. Grant can play as a legitimate #2 scoring option, allowing Keegan to float to a #3 role, allowing Domas to facilitate, and letting Keon play 3/D. Plus, you can shift Barnes' offense to the bench to help Monk (hopefully) provide some scoring pop. You would also still have Mitchell and Barnes as potential trade options, and have a full MLE.

And if you are worried about Grant's rebounding that is fair, but he would also be replacing Barnes in the lineup, so let's not pretend we are downgrading from Moses Malone on the rebounding front.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
That NOP was really his only trash game. Scoring isn't his primary role on this team, and before Monk got hurt we had a big string of wins in the games he was starting.

Player A:
PER 15.4
TS% .573
TRB% 5.8
AST% 13.8
STL% 1.2
BLK% 1.7
USG% 25.7
DWS 1.0 (1830 minutes)
WS/48 0.071

Player B:
PER 12.0
TS% .627
TRB% 7.1
AST% 11.1
STL% 2.5
BLK% 2.7
USG% 12.4
DWS 1.2 (978 minutes)
WS/48 0.114

Oh, and...
Player A
4/$132M

Player B
2/$4.5M

True, but in fairness one is a role player and the other is putting up 20+ ppg 3 out of the last 4 years. At the same age in a similar role to Keon as a 3 and D guy Grant had a WS/48 of .13 and a defensive win share of 3.3.

Not sold on Keon as a starter. He did an amazing job against the Warriors, but came back and played absoulutey putrid against the Pelicans. In 28mins of action, he produced: 0pts 1ast 2blks 1to 0rebs.

In games where he's played at least 20mpg, he's scored 5pts or less in 7 of them.. he needs a lot more confidence in his offense.

If we can get Grant without giving up Keegan, I would do it in a heartbeat. Keon should not be the piece that makes you pause on a potential trade. There's not much that separates Keon from other random role players like Josh Okogie, Garrison Matthews, Craig Porter, etc.
If Keon is the starter the Kings need scoring next to him for sure. The thing about Keon is that between he and Keegan you have that perfectly matched 3 and D combo teams seem to have success with historically. It's like Raja Bell and Shawn Marion a little bit. Keon, Grant, and Keegan might not be talented enough in the end but the fit is perfect on paper.