Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Poll: who DID the Kings draft at #23? UPATED

I originally posted "who should we draft at #23 on June 14". Then a second version of June 21. It is now Tuesday night after the draft.

Charlie Villaneuva moved up in the top 10,
C.J. Miles (the Dallas high school kid) fell to 34th in 2nd round
Rashad McCants went 14th

The rest of the new list included:
Francisco Garcia, SG, Louisville THE KINGS !!!!!!!!! :D
Simien fell 29th>MIA
Jarrett Jack, PG, 22>DEN
Bynum, the 7-0 300 lb high school monster 10>LAKERS
Joey Graham, SG/SF, 6-7, Okla St 16>TOR
Diogu, PF, Arizona St 9>GSW
C. Taft the Pitt 6-10 PF/C 42nd>GSW
J. Petro the 7-0 260lb 19yr old kid from France 25>SEA

So all of mock draft Kings picks went higher except for Simien and Taft (and Petro who was never a serious Kings candidate).

My pick was one of the euro's or C. J. Miles. So what do I know :eek:

Last edited:
IMO charlie if he is avaible the Kings should get him in a blink.

But I strongly doubt he will be there for 23rd pick. He is like a top 15 pick. I voted for him anyway since IMO he is the best in listed.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I picked Fernandez even though I think he will withdraw. I guess Warrick would be next on my list.

I hope those aren't the real choices for Petrie. If so, I guess in reality Geoff would scoop up Villanueva. So much for the Kings gaining any toughness or leadership.

Well, how about that Turkish kid, he's like 6-9/210 and shoots the lights out, Petrie loves the Euros, as we all know, and remember Hedo. My vote is for 'OTHER'.*L*

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Given those choices, I picked Simien though I'd definately think about Villanueva and Warrick too. I like what I've seen/heard about Fernandez and Wade (though picking him at 23 would be quite a stretch) but I think you don't get very many opportunities to pick up a dominant big man. If you've got a shot at maybe getting one, you've got to take it. Especially when you have a bunch of softees who are afraid to dunk the ball on your team. (Sad...but true.)

'Especially when you have a bunch of softees who are afraid to dunk the ball on your team. (Sad...but true.)'

Not true about Kenny Thomas, Mo Evans, Skinner, and Corliss, though. Those guys are pretty fearless.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I didn't look at names, schools, positions, etc.

I looked for the tallest guy and voted for him.

:D

VF21 said:
I didn't look at names, schools, positions, etc.

I looked for the tallest guy and voted for him.

:D
So you voted for Charlie, even though he is a SF, which we already have?*L* He reminds me alot of a young Cliff Robinson.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It says he's 6'11"... AND it says he's a SF/PF. It's not like my vote is gonna sway Geoff Petrie one way or the other. Besides, who knows if ANY of these guys are even going to be available when the 23rd pick comes around.

VF21 said:
It says he's 6'11"... AND it says he's a SF/PF. It's not like my vote is gonna sway Geoff Petrie one way or the other. Besides, who knows if ANY of these guys are even going to be available when the 23rd pick comes around.
Agreed, I dont think any of these guys, with maybe the exception of Wade, would even be around that late. Thats why I think Petrie will pick someone like that Turkish kid, some Euro no one's really heard alot about. He always does, as we know.

What about Ronny Turiaf??? I really like this guy, hard worker, not afraid to do the dirty work, great rebounder, shotblocker, not as polished offensively, but we have enough weapons that we can we live with that.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
If every one on those guys were available at #23, I'd take Charlie. We could use a young SF/PF of his ability. However, since none of them is likely to be around, it is a moot question.

I can't imagine that Petrie would want to draft any more 6-8 tweener-forwards (like Simien or Warrick) to join Thomas and Skinner in your rotation, and it seems somewhat unlikely to me that May or Villaneueva are still going to be around at the 23rd pick, but it sure wouldn't be hard for me to imagine y'all drafting Johan Petro if his stock continues to fall.

I said this in another thread:

I'd try and draft Simien (brittle, but could be great if healthy) or Taft (bad attitude, but with the right coaching could also be great) with your #1. I'd look at May with your #2. Ike Diogu might still be available at your pick, but I doubt it, his workouts have been positive and his wingspan measured out to be a Brand-esque 7'4", and he's nearly 6'9" to boot (and not 6'7"-6'8" as originally thought at Arizona).

Either way, Kings need shot blocking in the worst way.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
VF21 said:
Although actually, he just measured out at 6'9" tall and he's also a defensive liability right now, though he's athletic and big so he's got what they call "potential". Not everyone is looking for a PF/C though so I think one of these guys could fall to #23. Certainly not all of them. Probably we'll end up taking whoever the best available player is.

I ve got 3 choices one is rashad mccants-[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NBA Comparison: [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gilbert Arenas [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Strengths: Very smooth, athletic guard with an amazing feel for the game. Takes over games as a freshman. Can get hot and bury an opposing team with his offensive prowess. Has a diverse offensive game with three pointers, intermediate jumpers, and a quick first step to take his man off the dribble. A player with great scoring instincts. Makes great decisions and passes the ball extremely well for a shooting guard. Has excellent quickness and terrific speed running the floor. Can easily gain separation on a defender in the open court. Handles the ball very well, and is adept at creating off the dribble. Has good lateral quickness and foot speed defensively. Fred Jones went 14th in the 2002 draft giving athletic, but undersized shooting guards such as McCants great optimism about their draft potential. In Comparison McCants is a little less explosive but has a far better overall game.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weaknesses: Undersized 2-guard. Just a shade over 6-3, but plays bigger than his size with long arms and great leaping ability. Still at 6-3, he will struggle to an extent guarding and getting easy looks over 6-6 players night in and night out on the next level. Probably doesn't have the instincts to be a NBA PG. Has the talent to overcome the height deficiency, but remember how great another Carolina freshman Joseph Forte looked. McCants is a more explosive and quicker athlete than Forte, so he will likely make a better pro, however college stars don't always translate on the next level, especially ones a few inches short for their positions. Will need to improve some defensively, as guarding college guys is much easier than pros.

Notes: Was considered a top 10 prospect by many recruiting gurus entering college
[/font]

my second choice would be julius hodge-Strengths: Very effective offensive player who has been a force in the ACC since stepping on the court as a freshman … Very quick reflexes and fast running the court … Player with very good ball handling, vision and passing ability, especially for his size … Takes the ball to the basket often, despite lack of strength … Extremely competitive player who has become one of NC State’s best all time players … Comes from NYC and has all the AND 1 moves, but has toned his game down well … A good free throw shooter, but is struggling in his senior season …

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weaknesses: Very weak physically, and there is real cause for concern about this considering his age … One of those players who has very bad body strength ... He has a hard time putting on and retaining body weight during a season … Lacks great range on his shot … His outside shot lacks consistency … Not a great athlete, doesn’t get off the floor well … May lack a position on the next level due to his strength and shooting concerns …

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Notes: Was ACC player of the year in his Junior season …. Promised his mother he would get his degree before going to the NBA and followed through with it …
[/font][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]my final draft choice would be andrew bynum-
Height: 7'0

Weight: 285 lbs.

Scouting Report:

Big body with long arms… Posted strong numbers his senior season (21 ppg, 12 rpg, 5 bpg) despite missing the first 10 games due to some minor ligament damage in his knee… Has not signed with an agent keeping his college eligibility intact… With his size and potential he could move quickly up the draft board with good workouts for the NBA scouts

Strengths:

Has great size and long arms… Lots of potential… Solid skills… Pretty quick for a big man.

Weaknesses:

He is still raw and could benefit from a few years of college ball. He’s rumored to have minor weight problems and could stand to lose a few pounds (he was listed at 240 lbs. at the end of his junior year and now he’s listed at 285-300 lbs.).

oh yeah has anybody heard of the kings state of address on thursday i think i heard monty say that
[/font]

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hrdboild said:
Although actually, he just measured out at 6'9" tall and he's also a defensive liability right now, though he's athletic and big so he's got what they call "potential". Not everyone is looking for a PF/C though so I think one of these guys could fall to #23. Certainly not all of them. Probably we'll end up taking whoever the best available player is.
You're missing my point.

I DON'T CARE! I thought I made it clear by saying I didn't look at names, schools, etc. but simply looked for the tallest player.

I guess I should have made it clearer: We're drafting in the 23rd position. We aren't going to get a premiere player. We're going to get a player probably with potential and that's about all we can hope for. Since we're in desperate need of legitimate big men I would as soon go for the tallest guy around.

If he's shorter, then we pick someone else. (UNLESS the person is straight out of high school. Anyone left at 23 wouldn't be the next Kevin Garnett.)

;)

T

thesanityannex

I went with simien because i thought charlie would be unavailable at that time in the draft.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
McCants scares me with his attitude. I also see too much of Mobley in him.

If that's the case, why not just re-sign Cuttino and draft a servicable (or potentially servicable) big with the pick?

I like Hodge, but he's a case of a guy who does everything but nothing well. Jerry West seems to think he can be a full-time point guard, but I'm not so sure. I worry about his lack of quickness and range at the next level. I do love his competitiveness though. If he shoots well in workouts I say why not?

I don't know anything about Bynum except what I've read. But if a legit low post 7 footer with size is available at 23, you have to wonder what's wrong with him or how raw he really is. Remember, Sagana Diop was taken 8th straight out of high school based on potential.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on those choices, I would actually say that trading up would be the best option.

If not, I like a guy that's not on the list - Ronny Turiaf.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Based on the poll it looks like Petrie will draft Tiras Wade....... Seems he does things like that. But wonder if he ever would package #23 and say, Eddie House for a #12-16 to get one of the better big guys?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
CruzDude said:
Based on the poll it looks like Petrie will draft Tiras Wade....... Seems he does things like that. But wonder if he ever would package #23 and say, Eddie House for a #12-16 to get one of the better big guys?
Eddie House? :eek: Not ours to deal, and even if he ere think he might be worth, oh, a jump from the #23 spot to the #22 1/2spot. ;)

I say a trade up to get May. He is a good post guy that is the best player out of all of the ones mentioned.

Of course I wouldn't be too shocked to see the pick moved on draft day along with one of the guys we got in the Webber trade for a veteren.

Status
Not open for further replies.