[PHX/SAS] -- series discussion (merged)

Who will win?

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know, I have to wonder if Steve Nash's vision was jarred with the hit to the face. His shot just doesn't look right.

Nash's shot has been terrible to this point, Kurt Thomas hasn't been able to hit a jumper, and Amare is sitting with foul trouble for most of this third quarter, but the Suns are only down 1 point. If they can get going on offense, I think they'll have a good shot to steal this game in the 4th quarter.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Your thread got merged with the ongoing thread about the Suns/Spurs series. We generally have one thread for each series in each round.

ha! that was awesome.

manu decided to play tonight, irretate eye and all. duncan owned the game, WOW, 33-19-3. that was fantastic. kurt thomas just got owned. they might have to go back to doubling duncan. or they could just let duncan continue to kill thomas and take eveyrone else out of the game. wow nash looked horrible for most of the game. the suns couldn't get anything to drop. i loved it!

go spurs go!

Also, one interesting thing about Spurs "collapsing defense". Whenever Duncan and another Spur contest a penetration or a shot at the same time, the other Spur always gets a foul.

If that professor wanted to do another study on NBA biast, this game would be a great one to study.

gunks

Hall of Famer
And Bowen does it again - even Jon Barry commented on the cheap shot Bowen made to the groinal area of Steve Nash.
Yeah jeeze...Funny, you'd think Bowen would try to take the dirtyness level of his play down a bit after the public statement by Amare...At least for a few games.

The Spurs are such a dirty team, I hate it. Plus, the refs call no fouls on them, it's insane. There were to many occasions yesterday where after showing the replay you would be simply amazed that they didn't call a foul. It's bad for the NBA.

I normally do not comment about the officiating but I do think there might just be a little bit of "home team" favoritism going on...

Of course, we all know Tim Duncan has never committed a foul in his life.

Nash should NOT have been called for that blocking foul just now. But, it was the mythical magical Timmy Duncan.

Bullbleep.
There was definitely some home cookin' influencing the calls yesterday, but I agreed with that blocking foul on Nash, for two reasons.

1) You have to allow the offensive player room to catch the ball and turn around, which Nash didn't not give Duncan. If Duncan had been another foot and a half from the no-charge zone and Nash didn't have to worry about avoiding it, it would have been a good call. But because he had to jump out so far to get his heels out of the circle, he didn't give Duncan the room he's required to give him.

2) Nash was trying to draw the charge, not get a stop. I've grown really tired of seeing everyone flopping all over the court for offensive foul calls instead of playing defense. Of course, Nash had no chance to stop Duncan except to draw a charge, but it's getting annoying.

I may have not even called a foul on that play, but if a whistle was blown, it should have definitely been against Steve Nash.

I am sick and tired of the suns flopping all over the place and calling it defense. They were getting the calls in the regular season and in the previous series as well, this is the only game where i think they were not rewarded for it, seriously hope the refs dont reward them for that kind of defense anymore.

The Spurs are such a dirty team, I hate it. Plus, the refs call no fouls on them, it's insane. There were to many occasions yesterday where after showing the replay you would be simply amazed that they didn't call a foul. It's bad for the NBA.
Are the spurs the only team that is getting that kind of a treatment, sure they have been the beneficiary for quite some time when they were winning but the same goes when they werent winning as well.

I wouldnt call the spurs a dirty team, its only bruce bowen that is dirty but in the suns series I am fine with what bruce is doing, i just dont want the refs to reward the cowardly defense the suns pretend to be playing, flop flop and flop all over the place.

I am for the play that bruce had against nash, nash is known for crowding the player and flopping to get the call, he needs to realize that it is not defense. Warriors also play small ball but i see them being much more manly about defense and trying to make a play at the ball rather than fall down at any contact from the other player.

However on the other hand i really want to see the league's comments about these plays and whether they consider these natural basketball moves ;)

However on the other hand i really want to see the league's comments about these plays and whether they consider these natural basketball moves ;)
You could e-mail Ronnie Nun, the director of officials. He reviews particular plays on NBATV with Andre Aldridge. And in he pointed out a mistake by a ref in the Dallas-Warriors game where Baron got his 6 foul in that game they lost, admitting Bernie Friar was on the weak side(not on the proper side-strong side) of the court to call that play.

Here's the official rules on NBA.com regarding how blocks and charges are to be called.

I don't think all this flopping, including the Nash/Duncan contact, fits into the description of "establishing a legal guarding position." I'm starting to support the whole idea of penalizing players for flopping to draw an offensive foul.

agreed. it pisses me off when announcers comment on how brilliant steve nash is at taking charges. a lot of the time he slips in (notice his body is angled away) so that he basically gets under the other players body. its not defense.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
These playoffs are getting ridiculous. The dirty play is out of control.
People keep on reacting like this is something new. Its the playoffs -- you get some tough plays every year. Last year it was Posey et al.

As an aside, way for Duncan to come up small in what might be a back breaking game for the Spurs season. Now its an uphill battle, and he's got some atoning to do.

Last edited:
People keep on reacting like this is something new. Its the playoffs.
Hard fouls are one thing even dust-ups, but I don't remember a playoffs with this many ridiculous cheap shots. I mean, Artest hitting Ginobili was one of the worst events last year, and that was child's play.

People keep on reacting like this is something new. Its the playoffs.
Absolutely! Anyone who has been watching the NBA playoffs for many years would not be shocked by anything so far. Notice that virtually every so-called cheap shot comes in the dying moments of the game when players on the losing side are frustrated and tired. Nash took a body check not unlike many he's probably had many times in his youth hockey days. He was not hurt one bit and in the interview he saw stars for just a second. Uncharacteristically, Nash did miss two free throws out of four right afterwards though. I doubt Horry gets suspended nor anyone off the Suns bench.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've been watching the NBA for over 40 years and I think there's a BIG difference between a clean hard foul and something as egregious as what Horry did. You don't body check someone into the scorer's table. This isn't hockey...

And it doesn't matter if the other side is frustrated and tired IMHO.

i bet horry gets suspended

however, amare and diaw might also get suspended for leaving the bench

what a pathetic finish to the game for the spurs. now they have to win another game in phoenix... i'm pissed off

It will be very interesting to see how Amare and Diaw's suspensions work out. If the League doesn't buy the Suns story that Amare was just on his way to the scorer's table, (and I doubt they will), I almost have to admire Horry's cheap shot. Sure, he gets suspended, but he manages to knock out 2 superior players from the Suns (well, one superior player) by betting on team/mob stupidity.

The trouble with the League following the letter of the law here, is that other people might figure this strategy out. You might get people trying to start fights every losing game in the attempt to provoke stupid reactions from the bench. Eventually players on the bench would have to get smarter. But how many cheap shots would take place while they learn?