[PHX/DAL] (Game 5) And stop the presses...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
But I agree with Charles Barkley.

Re: the dogma from the Mavericks that they treat every game as a Game 7. I think that Barkley is exactly right on this: if they treat Game 5 like it's Game 7 and they lose, how are they supposed to get motivated to play Game 6?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I wanted Diop last summer too! Damn, I wish we had gotten that guy. Would have solved most of our problems. Of course, who knew he would finally get in shape, work on his game, and become a reliable player.

Diop + court time = much better Mavs team, they are shutting down the lane with him in there.

Last edited:
Good!

Sac.Kings said:
Anyone know why Thomas blew a kiss at Nowitzki?
just a recap of Tim Thomas:

in game 2 he decided to "send a message" after Howard's flagrant foul. Actually before he decided to send that message he looked like he wanted to fight Howard but backed off - which in turn made Howard flash that new smile without the braces. (kinda cool to know we have guys willing to throw down if need be) Anyway that Tim Thomas decides to break through the Mavs huddle to send a message very late into the 2nd quarter. Good one Timmy - you woke up a sleeping giant in the Mavs and your team only scored 36 points the rest of the game!

let's move along to game 5 - he decides to pee off Dirk. Blew him a kiss, maybe got in his face a little. Ahh but you can't do that anymore. Dirk's not that same soft-euro everyone thinks he is. Dirk fights back - he no longer backs out. Dirk then proceeds to score 30 points in 15 minutes after that little encounter. Dirk decides to go for 50, and outscore the Suns 22 to 20 in the 4th quarter. Good one Timmy!

Tim Thomas is a punk who's been DOGGING IT THE LAST 3 YEARS!!! yea!! this guy got paid by Chicago to leave b/c he'd been dogging it so badly. And now he wants to put in a good performance? Why's that? Because it's contract time for Tim Thomas. And don't even tell me the guy's a good shooter - anyone's a good shooter with that offense and that PG in the system.

UGH, if there's anything I cannot stand in the NBA it's these things:
- players dogging it (I've never liked Vince Carter since he admitted he was dogging games in Toronto)
- Dan Crawford (before tonight, a Dan Crawford officiated game meant the Mavs lost as they were 0-9 when he was in.)

Anyway, I guess I have no one but Dirk and Tim Thomas to thank for this win. I'm a Nowitzness!

Well, the only problem Tim Thomas ever had was his head. His talent for basketball is only topped by the anti-talent of his brain.

mavsman said:
I'm a Nowitzness!
That just doesn't have a ring to it. It's actually kind of lame. Sorry.

As an aside, the Mavs have been impressive all season long. They are my pick to win the series. But that's not because I like them. It's because I'm gradually starting to hate the Suns, even though I'd love to have Raja Bell on the Kings.

mavsman said:
Tim Thomas is a punk who's been DOGGING IT THE LAST 3 YEARS!!! yea!! this guy got paid by Chicago to leave b/c he'd been dogging it so badly. And now he wants to put in a good performance? Why's that? Because it's contract time for Tim Thomas. And don't even tell me the guy's a good shooter - anyone's a good shooter with that offense and that PG in the system.
I'm not going to argue with the fact that Tim Thomas was an idiot for challenging Dirk (and I think he did so prior to his 3rd quarter outburst that gave the Suns a 7-point lead), and he may have been dogging it the prior two years, but my understanding of the situation in Chicago was that Skiles told him that he wasn't going to get time before Deng and Nocioni (cannot really fault Skiles there), and that if he didn't think he could contribute waving a towel, to not be a member of the team (although he would still be paid). I'm not saying Thomas took the admirable way out, but I wouldn't say that he dogged it in Chicago. He arguably has as much, if not more, talent that either of the two players he was destined to sit behind, so he opted not to be with the team. Maybe he should've stuck it out and proven to Skiles that he deserved time, but I doubt he'd make a different choice given the options all over again if he knew the outcome in advance.

Regardless, short of winning MVP of the Finals this year (very, very doubtful), Thomas is destined for a pay cut. And, there are plenty of players in this league that wouldn't perform as "well" as Thomas has in the PHX system. Heck, he should be performing better with all that talent, but as others have said, his head gets in the way.

Superman said:

As an aside, the Mavs have been impressive all season long. They are my pick to win the series. But that's not because I like them. It's because I'm gradually starting to hate the Suns, even though I'd love to have Raja Bell on the Kings.
If the two teams with 3-2 leads advance to the Finals, it will certainly be interesting to watch Dirk and Wade battle it out for Finals MVP. After Dirk's game 4, I may have said that Wade was having a better playoffs this year, but after this game, I think Dirk has raised the bar. He's effectively unguardable in the Mavs' offense.

Superman said:
I know Superman, it doesn't have a ring to it at all. But I just like saying it - and those Nowitzness shirts are really becoming a hot item around here in Dallas.

...And another thing - it appears that Cuban has sent in a videotape of Shawn Marion's elbow to Adrian Griffin's chin.

Please don't send this tape in. I didn't like it when Finley and the Spurs and sent the tape in and I don't like it when Cuban sends the tape in. I hate hate hate tipping the scales of a series in such a good playoff series like this one. If Marion gets suspended - which I doubt will happen anyway - I am going to be really disappointed in Cuban and the Mavs.

I said it when Terry got suspended - it's simply not fair to tip the scales in one's favor with such a good series going on and a trip to the Finals at stake.

T

thesanityannex

mavsman said:
...And another thing - it appears that Cuban has sent in a videotape of Shawn Marion's elbow to Adrian Griffin's chin.

Please don't send this tape in. I didn't like it when Finley and the Spurs and sent the tape in and I don't like it when Cuban sends the tape in. I hate hate hate tipping the scales of a series in such a good playoff series like this one. If Marion gets suspended - which I doubt will happen anyway - I am going to be really disappointed in Cuban and the Mavs.

I said it when Terry got suspended - it's simply not fair to tip the scales in one's favor with such a good series going on and a trip to the Finals at stake.
Agreed. And it makes Cuban look like such a punk. I like Cuban, most of the stuff he does makes me laugh, but when he turns pulls these whiny little manuevers, it really pisses me off. Take it like a man Cuban.

mavsman said:
I know Superman, it doesn't have a ring to it at all. But I just like saying it - and those Nowitzness shirts are really becoming a hot item around here in Dallas.
Diop it like it's hot

thesanityannex said:
Agreed. And it makes Cuban look like such a punk. I like Cuban, most of the stuff he does makes me laugh, but when he turns pulls these whiny little manuevers, it really pisses me off. Take it like a man Cuban.
I mean coming from a Mavs fan such as myself, I don't want to see Marion get suspended. I think it's bush league.

I mean I'm rambling on - I doubt that Marion even gets fined or suspended. I'm just saying if we complain so much about Finley / Spurs sending tapes in, we Mavs fans shouldn't be hypocrites about it.

thesanityannex said:
Lol. How can you guys not like Cuban? Serio?