Phone poll about the new Arena

Looked back a couple pages and didnt see anything posted. Sorry if I missed it or if this post is in the wrong area (new at this). I got a call this evening with a barrage of Arena questions. Would say it was about 20 min long and covered a wide range of topics from Anaheim to how certain arguments rated with me and where I stood and what view points made it more or less appealing. Anyone else get this? I felt bad for her (tough job I think) and decide I would stick it out and answer all her questions

Darn, I have 20 minutes I could spare.

By the way, welcome to the best Kings site on the web. You posted in exactly the right place. :D

One question she asked was if I thought that hearing from other cities (in ads, press, etc) that have approved new arenas would reinforce or change my mind on the new arena proposition.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I second the welcome, jda!

It sounds like the pro-arena people are doing some polling BEFORE they decide to jump into advertising in a big way. I like it; it means they realize this is gonna be a tough sell and they don't want to make mistakes by the wrong kinds of ad campaigns.

Interesting...

:)

I second the welcome, jda!

It sounds like the pro-arena people are doing some polling BEFORE they decide to jump into advertising in a big way. I like it; it means they realize this is gonna be a tough sell and they don't want to make mistakes by the wrong kinds of ad campaigns.

Interesting...

:)
Thanks for the welcome. I agree, very wise for them to survey the people and see what they are comfortable with and not comfortable with. The way I think mine would be viewed would be:
I am a basketball fan so I do want a new arena but also my answers also would direct them to show that only 50% of the tax money is going to the arena and the rest is used by the surrounding counties and other areas (education,roads,etc) was also important to point out. Also the fact that the city owns it and is leased by the Maloofs (10 years I think she said at some thing like twenty something million, dont quote me on that, roughly though). Also she asked me about the contamination at the railroad site, if that would effect my thoughts on allowing the new arena. Also she asked how I percieved or viewed the fact that there is a stipulation that after the 15 years of the new tax that it could be extended.

Last edited:
She didnt say right off that it was concerning the Arena, just your typical that I am with a polling group doing a survey of voters in your area type thing. She intially started with party affliation and voting this November (about 2min or so). She then began to lead to the arena by asking me if I was aware of the different measures on the ballot, and then asked questions directly focused on the arena measures; and expanded from there, soley about the arena proposal.

I've done public opinion poll-calling in the past when doing political volunteering. Ugh. Especially when you have to call people who are against what it is you're calling about. Now I'm always nice to them when they call me, no matter what the issue is.

Last edited:
^ LOL same here.. I get in a nice discussion when they call my home, its usually pretty fun and I leave the conversation with both sides feeling good.

Always fun though and I wonder why I don't get more calls like that

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Because those phone polls usually only call about, say, 1,000 people or so each time, and it's probably random. Has to be, actually, for any statistical basis.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I got called earlier today for a poll - mostly topics regarding Elk Grove as I live here and it was a local thing.

The did ask about the Q+R measures in one or two questions.

She asked if I was in favor of measures Q+R which would fund development of an entertainment complex in the railyard area.

I said that the question is incorrect as over half the funds go to other projects, but yes, I strongly support them.

She wasn't really interested in my editorializing, just the answer. :)

Most of the questions were fairly "loaded" asking about local races for city council, etc....