Petrie will be on ESPN radio 1320 today at 2:00pm

Why can't we just let past demons just stay there? Why do we always pry open old wounds? It took years for the NBA to stop laughing at us about that, but yet here we are again... sigh.

Petrie just confirmed what he already said. He called Vivek a liar. This whole thing makes me sad, at least the Maloofs were enjoyable bumbling idiots for most of the ownership.

I think Petrie might still have feelings about no longer being employed as well, not to say his grievances aren't legit. His grievances about the mis characterization are understood but there also appears an underlying resentment

He might still believe the franchise would've been better without PDA/Vlade running the ship as opposed to him, not to say he isn't right or wrong on that

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Petrie might still have feelings about no longer being employed as well, not to say his grievances aren't legit. His grievances about the mis characterization are understood but there also appears an underlying resentment

He might still believe the franchise would've been better without PDA/Vlade running the ship as opposed to him, not to say he isn't right or wrong on that
No, Geoff made it clear he was done. His contract was up and he seemed to be at peace with that.

But Petrie is a loyal dude. So when Vivek said that the coach didn't want to be there it angers Geoff because he knows Keith Smart DID want to be there and had another year on his deal and Ranadive & co cut him loose without even an interview.

And when Vivek says no one was doing off-season work and draft prep it angers Petrie because his crew were absolutely putting in work over the summer. Mike Malone even said what a good job they had done in handing off the info to him.

Geoff Petrie has never struck me as petty. Or underhanded. Or dishonest. But fiercely loyal? Yeah. So to me, this isn't Petrie settling a grudge with Ranadive. It's Petrie sticking up for the people he worked with.

Why can't Vivek just shut up and pay the bills and stay out of the way?
Vivek is a little dude (5'5") who wanted desperately to be top dog by owning an NBA team. Now that the ego is finally satisfied by getting reins in Sacramento not likely to be quiet owner happily in background (like most) but sticking his nose into all sorts of Kings business whether knows anything about it or not.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No, Geoff made it clear he was done. His contract was up and he seemed to be at peace with that.

But Petrie is a loyal dude. So when Vivek said that the coach didn't want to be there it angers Geoff because he knows Keith Smart DID want to be there and had another year on his deal and Ranadive & co cut him loose without even an interview.

And when Vivek says no one was doing off-season work and draft prep it angers Petrie because his crew were absolutely putting in work over the summer. Mike Malone even said what a good job they had done in handing off the info to him.

Geoff Petrie has never struck me as petty. Or underhanded. Or dishonest. But fiercely loyal? Yeah. So to me, this isn't Petrie settling a grudge with Ranadive. It's Petrie sticking up for the people he worked with.
Vivek should have just been more specific and said "the coach was a ****ing moron, and it took me less than a minute of listening to his streaming B.S. to realize it, so I canned his sorry ass".

Then sent a copy to Petrie for review. :p

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Vivek is a little dude (5'5") who wanted desperately to be top dog by owning an NBA team. Now that the ego is finally satisfied by getting reins in Sacramento not likely to be quiet owner happily in background (like most) but sticking his nose into all sorts of Kings business whether knows anything about it or not.
The sad thing is that Vivek seems to have done a great job of handing the non-basketball reigns off to Chris Granger, who's done a stellar job of building a next generation sports franchise/enterprise. Unfortunately, this apparently means that Vivek has more time to come up with half-baked ideas and act like the Indian version of Al Davis (the old 80-year old version, not the hardassed renegade from the '70s and '80s)

I would like emphasize the point that in the deadspin article Petrie specifically mentioned Smart wanting to stay and not even getting an interview. I mean Keith Smart? Really? I'm supposed to be upset that Keith Smart didn't get an interview? His interview was the two miserable years he coached. My god would that have been awful.

I do remember feeling bad for Smart when he was at the draft lottery representing the Kings. I think they should have sent Petrie. I think it would have felt more like an honor for him, especially for what likely would be his last season.

dude12

Hall of Famer
When there is a change in coaching staffs or administrations or the like, it's smart to turn it over to sever the ties from the previous regime. With pro ball, it becomes difficult because of the contracts but you want to turn it over. New rules, new culture, etc. I have no problem with Vivek turning it over but just leave it be. He can't win a pissing match in this city with Geoff Petrie. Petrie was the architect of the best era of Kings hoops. Keith Smart didnt deserve an interview.

Vivek just needs to stay in the background and that seems to be very hard for him to do....like someone on here already said, he sucks at interviews.

My only problem with this whole fiasco is it seems like Vivek could not see what a bad idea this was. Sam Amick told dave that he ended up just shutting up and letting Vivek talk. Vivek just can't help himself.

What is it going to take for this guy to finally take a back seat and let the basketball guys do their thing? Is it even in his DNA to admit that he has done a bad job up to now?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
What is it going to take for this guy to finally take a back seat and let the basketball guys do their thing? Is it even in his DNA to admit that he has done a bad job up to now?
Again, this is the line of response to this article that I object to.

As far as can be told since Vlade took over a year and a half ago, Vivek has precisely taken a back seat and let the basketball guys do their thing. This was just an interview. Apropos of nothing on the meddling front. Even if it did mean something, Vivek repeatedly stresses that the decisions are Vlade's.

gunks

Hall of Famer
It's like Vivek needed to learn he's an NBA moron who happens to own an NBA team AND he needs to learn to shut the hell up, because every time he opens his mouth, stinky BS gets all over everything.

I think he's figured out the first thing, but him throwing everyone under the bus to try to come clean, with blatant lies? Not a good look Mr. Goblin.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would like emphasize the point that in the deadspin article Petrie specifically mentioned Smart wanting to stay and not even getting an interview. I mean Keith Smart? Really? I'm supposed to be upset that Keith Smart didn't get an interview? His interview was the two miserable years he coached. My god would that have been awful.

I do remember feeling bad for Smart when he was at the draft lottery representing the Kings. I think they should have sent Petrie. I think it would have felt more like an honor for him, especially for what likely would be his last season.
I doubt Petrie thought Smart should have been the coach going forward. Or that his performance over two seasons even earned him an interview.

What I think Petrie objects to is Vivek lying about the coach not wanting to be there when clearly he did.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Petrie had made several statements about retiring to his ranch in Rocklin. I have no doubt he could land a job somewhere if he wanted one. Rumor was that he was offered an extension on his contract by the Maloofs, and he turned it down. Of course only he knows the truth, but Petrie is a man of few words, and to the best of my recollection, he's been very truthful over the years. He could have easily thrown the Maloof's under the bus for the last few years of his and their reign, but he didn't.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again, this is the line of response to this article that I object to.

As far as can be told since Vlade took over a year and a half ago, Vivek has precisely taken a back seat and let the basketball guys do their thing. This was just an interview. Apropos of nothing on the meddling front. Even if it did mean something, Vivek repeatedly stresses that the decisions are Vlade's.
But that's exactly the issue. To hear Vivek tell it he never meddled before. Nope. Uh uh. Never once got involved or was part of a bad decision. That was all D'Alessandro. He wanted Elfrid Payton - PDA made him say "Stauskas? Stauskas? Stauskas?" and "1,2,3 Nik Rocks!" on camera. The minority owners never once expressed concern to him. He's not even involved on the basketball side.

The real issue is this. Vivek says he never meddled People around the team and/or minority owners told Sam Amick he did and that nothing has changed.

It puts doubt into the notion that he isn't still meddling.

But that's exactly the issue. To hear Vivek tell it he never meddled before. Nope. Uh uh. Never once got involved or was part of a bad decision. That was all D'Alessandro. He wanted Elfrid Payton - PDA made him say "Stauskas? Stauskas? Stauskas?" and "1,2,3 Nik Rocks!" on camera. The minority owners never once expressed concern to him. He's not even involved on the basketball side.

The real issue is this. Vivek says he never meddled People around the team and/or minority owners told Sam Amick he did and that nothing has changed.

It puts doubt into the notion that he isn't still meddling.
And there is nothing to corroborate he's wrong

And again, it's hurtful to the franchise for the public at large to believe he's responsible as opposed to former employees IMO

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
And there is nothing to corroborate he's wrong

And again, it's hurtful to the franchise for the public at large to believe he's responsible as opposed to former employees IMO
Well, there is evidence to show that he's lying about other parts of the early days of the Kings. That the coach didn't want to be there. That the GM didn't want to be there. That no one was doing offseason work. Those things are all easily verified as false from Bee articles. And that's my point. If Vivek isn't being truthful (and there is the slight possibility that he's just recalling things incorrectly) about some things he said, it casts doubt on the rest of what he said.

I'm tired of the Kings being a punchline around the NBA but honestly I don't really care about the optics on this issue. What I care about is whether or not Ranadive is still acting as "chief irritant" and if - contrary to what he said in Amick's interview - still interjecting himself into basketball decisions instead of letting Vlade and his staff handle them. If he isn't, then great. If he is, I'm beyond frustrated by that. The owner should always be in the loop. Decisions that require taking on additional salary or sending out cash (like buying a draft pick) should always have to be approved by him. The owner has to sign off on firing the head coach when necessary and make the decision to fire the GM if it that is required. But the coach's should coach, the management should manage the roster and it's construction and the owner should hire the right people and let them do their jobs.

I just want to believe that's what's now happening with the Kings and this interview and Petrie's rebuttal have cast doubt for me on whether that's the case.

Ok, but I still think its unclear if Vivek made it known he wanted him to stick around that he wouldnt have done that. I think he read the writing on the wall, knew no one was interested in re newing contract, and to protect his reputation he may have taken the stance that it was time to move on either way

deadspin.com/geoff-petrie-lambastes-vivek-ranadives-sophomoric-atte-1787717438

"Even if Pete D’Alessandro hadn’t been hired and Keith Smart hadn’t gotten fired, even if you had been able to build a good working relationship with the new ownership, you don’t think you would’ve stuck around?

It is sort of a post-factual question, I can’t answer that. It comes to a feeling in my own person that it was probably time for me to move on. To what? I hadn’t given it a lot of thought, but I also wanted to protect the positions and the work of the people that really support the coaches and GMs and are loyal to the Kings and had been for a long time, trying to make sure they got a fair shot."

To me it remains to be seen if Vivek had made it known he was keeping him if he would have accepted the offer.

Considering Vivek's defense is partly/largely that the NBA environment is different than the tech business in terms of openness and such, I'm not sure why you would think he might have been open to keeping him. Isn't the standard practice to clean house at the top (don't really know but going on assumptions)?