Pet-cloning company makes a landmark sale

Tony Gutierrez / AP
Pet-cloning company makes a landmark sale
Woman pays $50,000 to firm
for genetic twin of beloved cat;
Little Nicky considered the first
cloned-to-order pet sold in U.S.
Nine-week-old "Little Nicky" peers out from her carrying

SAN FRANCISCO - The first cloned-to-order pet sold in the United States is named Little Nicky, a 9-week-old kitten delivered to a Texas woman saddened by the loss of a cat she had owned for 17 years.

The kitten cost its owner $50,000 and was cloned from a beloved cat, named Nicky, that died last year. Nicky’s owner banked the cat’s DNA, which was used to create the clone.

“He is identical. His personality is the same,” the woman told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. She spoke on condition of anonymity because she said she fears being targeted by groups opposed to cloning.

Yet while Little Nicky, who was delivered two weeks ago, frolics in his new home, the kitten’s creation and sale has reignited fierce ethical and scientific debate over cloning technology, which is rapidly advancing.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6747736/

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
A couple of years back I told a friend of mine who is a show jumper (horses), and a damn good one (Olympic trials etc.), that she should save some genetic material from her favorite horse, a big black gelding named Zeuf, for just this reason. He was getting up there in age (probably about 20 by now) but there was the opportunity coming to just have a new Zeuf made to replace him. Very sci fi.

This also, of course, opens up many new avenues for my evenutal world domination...imagine the glory of a world populated entirely by me! :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
This also, of course, opens up many new avenues for my evenutal world domination...imagine the glory of a world populated entirely by me! :D
Ah, but which one of you would rule and whom exactly would you hold domination over? Hmmmmmm?

She spent $50,000 for a genetic duplication of her pet. Nice. I would how many unwanted pets' lives could have been saved with that money?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
VF21 said:
Ah, but which one of you would rule and whom exactly would you hold domination over? Hmmmmmm?
Hmm...you may have detected a flaw in my plan. :p

I've seen the error of my ways.

Oh well...on to Plan B -- a world populated by 1 me and 5 billion Angelina Jolies! :D

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
Hmm...you may have detected a flaw in my plan. :p

I've seen the error of my ways.

Oh well...on to Plan B -- a world populated by 1 me and 5 billion Angelina Jolies! :D
5 million Angelina Jolies. wow:D

Hypothetical: Let's say we're at a time where cloning people is legal and it costs $50K.

If your child died in an accident, would you gave him/her cloned?