Paul Milsap

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pretty much agree with both you and @Čarolija on this. I'm not wanting the Kings to sign him either, for many of the reasons you listed. My only point was the age factor, which I think too many fans are fixated on. If a player is a good fit, being 32 shouldn't matter in this day and age. I just don't happen to think the fit is there with Milsap. IMO, a player such as Andre Iguodala is a much better fit because the Kings don't necessarily have a 30+ min a night SF on the roster right now.
Iguodala fits more of a need (I could be wrong but I see Justin Jackson growing into a solid bench player but probably not a starting SF on a good team) but I don't think he's a 30+ mpg player at this point. He's only a little over a year older than Millsap but between the regular season and playoffs he's played over 10,000 more minutes. That's around 300 more games or about 4 typical seasons worth.

Part of my concern with either guy would be that they are taking a big final payday to play for a rebuilding team rather than play for a winner. It's a bit of a Catch 22 but it's also a bit of a red flag.

In my mind the Kings goals in free agency should be (in order of priority):

(1) to look for young players around the same age as their young core who can be stars or at least starters at positions of need. Unfortunately, this year that means small forward and the only guy that might fit that description is Otto Porter. He's restricted and giving the Wizards the first chance at signing him. So, a longshot who would most likely use the Kings for leverage if he meets with them at all.

(2) Try to find young guys that can be picked up on the cheap but who show some potential to grow into good players. Bazemore, Danny Green, Jonathan Simmons (the Spurs are good at this), Hassan Whiteside, Seth Curry, Yogi Ferrell etc. You want to find those guys when they look like deep bench or training camp guys rather than being the team that gives them their big payday. Troy Daniels? Jerami Grant? Tyler Ennis? I don't know, that's why you pay your scouting department.

(3) Look for veterans who can be starters but are also willing to be backups and who will be good locker room chemistry guys. The idea here is that you want vets that stand a good chance of being a better starter than the kids backing them up. This is where guys like Joe Ingles, Darren Collison, Patrick Patterson come in and why Koufos and Temple are still valuable. You want the young guys to develop good habits and EARN their playing time. So you start vets over them until they can beat them out.

(4) To take on bad contracts in exchange for promising young players and/or draft picks. And if you can accomplish 3 & 4 simultaneously then great. Trading for Mo Harkless and squeezing a 1st rounder out of Portland for the trouble would be ideal. But I don't think the Blazers are that desperate to shed salary and I think they can unload Harkless without a sweetner. Turner? That's a tougher pill to swallow. But he would provide a starting level SF, at least for this Kings team as presently constructed.

Signing a veteran impact free agent to a big money deal would be my last option. Millsap, Iguodala, Lowry - let another team give them their last big contract. The goal for the Kings right now should be to continue to stockpile assets and develop the young guys that they have.

Iguodala fits more of a need (I could be wrong but I see Justin Jackson growing into a solid bench player but probably not a starting SF on a good team) but I don't think he's a 30+ mpg player at this point.
Right, but 25-30 min isn't out of the question with JJ and Bogdanovic making up the difference.

Part of my concern with either guy would be that they are taking a big final payday to play for a rebuilding team rather than play for a winner. It's a bit of a Catch 22 but it's also a bit of a red flag.
For Iggy, I don't think it should be seen as a catch 22 or red flag. He's already been on 2 title teams. Everyone wants to win, but after 2 titles $$ just might climb a bit higher on the priority list when you're coming closer to the end of a career. Especially when the Warriors can't come close to the 18M per the Kings could pay him. And if some of the Kings young players develop faster than expected, perhaps the Kings get into the playoffs in 2019 which would be a feather in the cap for a player like him.

Iguodala fits more of a need (I could be wrong but I see Justin Jackson growing into a solid bench player but probably not a starting SF on a good team) but I don't think he's a 30+ mpg player at this point. He's only a little over a year older than Millsap but between the regular season and playoffs he's played over 10,000 more minutes. That's around 300 more games or about 4 typical seasons worth.

In my mind the Kings goals in free agency should be (in order of priority):

(1) to look for young players around the same age as their young core who can be stars or at least starters at positions of need. Unfortunately, this year that means small forward and the only guy that might fit that description is Otto Porter. He's restricted and giving the Wizards the first chance at signing him. So, a longshot who would most likely use the Kings for leverage if he meets with them at all.

(2) Try to find young guys that can be picked up on the cheap but who show some potential to grow into good players. Bazemore, Danny Green, Jonathan Simmons (the Spurs are good at this), Hassan Whiteside, Seth Curry, Yogi Ferrell etc. You want to find those guys when they look like deep bench or training camp guys rather than being the team that gives them their big payday. Troy Daniels? Jerami Grant? Tyler Ennis? I don't know, that's why you pay your scouting department.

(3) Look for veterans who can be starters but are also willing to be backups and who will be good locker room chemistry guys. The idea here is that you want vets that stand a good chance of being a better starter than the kids backing them up. This is where guys like Joe Ingles, Darren Collison, Patrick Patterson come in and why Koufos and Temple are still valuable. You want the young guys to develop good habits and EARN their playing time. So you start vets over them until they can beat them out.

(4) To take on bad contracts in exchange for promising young players and/or draft picks. And if you can accomplish 3 & 4 simultaneously then great. Trading for Mo Harkless and squeezing a 1st rounder out of Portland for the trouble would be ideal. But I don't think the Blazers are that desperate to shed salary and I think they can unload Harkless without a sweetner. Turner? That's a tougher pill to swallow. But he would provide a starting level SF, at least for this Kings team as presently constructed.

Signing a veteran impact free agent to a big money deal would be my last option. Millsap, Iguodala, Lowry - let another team give them their last big contract. The goal for the Kings right now should be to continue to stockpile assets and develop the young guys that they have.
I wonder if there is another trade down the road with Portland again. As of right now it looks like they've peaked as sacrificial lambs.

Please, Vlade, not Milsap.
Try all-out for Porter. If not Porter, then Ingles.
But you also need some veteran depth at PG and PF. At PF, an upgrade over Tolliver (on the court), but not somebody who will take minutes away from Skal.