OPTIMISM: At least we aren't the Wizards

This is one thing Westphal has going for him. He still remembers what his roster is before the game.

MILWAUKEE -- Washington coach Flip Saunders got Roger Mason involved early Friday against Milwaukee.

One problem: Saunders forgot to put him on the active list.

The Wizards were whistled for a technical foul in the first quarter after Mason entered the game despite being ineligible to play.

Mason checked in for Jordan Crawford with 3:27 remaining and made a baseline jumper seven seconds later. However, during a timeout at the 2:53 mark, the Wizards were whistled for a technical foul for playing an ineligible player.

The basket was later taken away from Mason and credited to Rashard Lewis. Brandon Jennings made the technical free throw.

Mason signed a one-year deal with the Wizards after spending 2010-11 with the Knicks. He scored two points in eight combined minutes in the first two games.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7...t-technical-foul-playing-inactive-roger-mason

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Actually they could have dressed 12 but Saunders forgot which 12. That's the way I interpreted the situation. Anyway, it's funny.

They have some weird new rule under the new CBA about dressing 13 I think it is? You dress 13 but can only play 12? Don't ask for any explnation because I don't have one.
Yes, but it sounds like he was inactive meaning the 14 or 15th player. The dress 13 means you can play any 12 of the 13. So unless he played 12 already then Mason shouldnt have been dressed.

EDIT:

Found more info, he was inactive and should not have dressed.

Wizards coach Flip Saunders took responsibility for Mason being disqualified from the game. The Wizards public relations staff also took the blame.

The NBA provides a roster to teams to circle who will be inactive for each game. The list excluded Mason's name, and neither Saunders nor the PR staff caught the mistake before sending the final active roster to the league office.

The Bucks statistical staff noticed the mistake when they tried to enter Mason's basket.

"It's my fault," Saunders said. "I didn't notice it. I take responsibility for that. I thought he would have given us some help."

Said Mason: "It was just human error. Just a mistake. It happens."

Last edited: