Ongoing draft/lottery discussion [OPEN SPOILERS]

Which draft lottery slot will King's get this evening?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
is this the first time the T-Wolves have won the number one pick? this has to be the first time since how long that the worst team statistically won the lottery.....things are looking very promising in Minnesota. Wiggins & Towns is a solid foundation to build upon.

****. This means we don't get Mudiay :( well, I'm happy with WCS.

Minnesota is taking Towns..
Lakers probably taking Okafor..
Philly is guaranteed to taking a PG
Knicks take BPA..probably the other PG
Orlando might take WCS or Winslow.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
For those not watching the broadcast, here's the draft order for the lottery this year:

1. Minnesota T-Wolves
2. Los Angeles Lakers
3. Philadelphia 76ers
4. New York Knicks
5. Orlando Magic
6. Sacramento Kings
7. Denver Nuggets
8. Detroit Pistons
9. Charlotte Hornets
10. Miami Heat
11. Indiana Pacers
12. Utah Jazz
13. Phoenix Suns
14. Oklahoma City Thunder

I kinda agree with grant.

He thinks this may be the time that we trade our pick. Then kings cannot afford to wait for a young guy to develop. They need some quick results going into the new building. If they're in the lottery again next year there will be hell to pay.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Getting #6 is a win for us. It's not as big of a win as a top 3 pick would be (mostly because we have a lot less options now to improve the team via trade), but even dropping 1 spot would have virtually eliminated any possibility of a top 4 player slipping to us. I can see someone unexpected working their way into the top 5 and pushing Mudiay, Okafor, or Russell down if they don't excel in workouts. Also, I actually think the odds of getting the best player in the draft at #6 are pretty high this year. The consensus top 4 isn't a huge step above the rest of the field in terms of talent. Guys like Winslow, Johnson, Turner, Cauley-Stein, Booker, or Oubre or even someone else I'm not thinking of could have an All-Star or MVP type of career hidden inside them.

K

king07

So NBA doesn't even show those ping pong balls anymore. No way there's something shady going on behind the scenes, right?

He thinks this may be the time that we trade our pick. Then kings cannot afford to wait for a young guy to develop. They need some quick results going into the new building. If they're in the lottery again next year there will be hell to pay.
Who are we going to trade for? It sure as hell shouldn't be for Lawson. One of the WORST defenders in the NBA. Our team needs #1 PERIMETER DEFENSE. #2 RIM PROTECTION. With WCS we can get both.

I hate the fact that Dave has pushed that the FO will trade this pick all off season long.. trading the pick for Lawson does not improve our PF position.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

I have been arguing for this approach for years.

Ironically the presence of WCS as a potential good frontline fit makes this the first time since the Boogie draft when I WOULDN'T necessarily trade the pick, although I'd certainly listen.

I don't see any deals that have equal talent and fit combinations on the horizon. There is a chance to either add size, shooting, and athleticism at PF with Porzingis. Shut down defense and big game ability in Winslow. Defensive depth at PF/C in Cauley-Stein. Much the same as Winslow with Stan Johnson. There are four players right there that fit, can help fix major holes on the roster with need, and are of an upside that you won't find equal value for.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Initial thoughts:
1 - Wolves - Towns
2 - Lakers - Okafor
3 - Sixers - Russell
4 - Knicks - Mudiay
5 - Magic - Porzingis
6 - Kings - WCS, but also have option of Winslow
If that's how the first three picks go (and right now I think it will be) the question is whether the Knicks take Mudiay. He's not a real triangle PG and I'm not sure he compliments Melo. Now it may be the case that that Jackson sees him as the best player on the board and takes him, but I'm not sure that (a) he IS the best talent on the board or (b) that Jackson doesn't prefer to go a different direction. Porzingis? Winslow? Hezonja? Maybe Phil decides to to gamble and grabs WCS.

And given that Orlando has Payton and Oladipo I'm not so sure they take him and he could end up being there at 6, which (given the lack of tape I've seen on Mudiay) scares me a bit. Orlando is another team that could take WCS as well. He fits their pattern of taking long athletes. Of course they need to get somebody who excels at putting the ball in the basket so maybe they aren't a threat there.

Last edited:
I'd be angrier if WCS wasn't a perfect fit for our roster.

He should be there for us.

He's not a perfect fit. Winslow might be. If Porzingis is for real he might be as well. Cauley-Stein would be nice to have but he's far from perfect. Cauley-Stein could maybe help more right away than some but him fitting is far from a guarantee.