Official! Joerger in as Kings head coach

So how did Vlade do on the hire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The beauty of Joerger is his ability to adapt to the roster given to him. He's actually a pretty damn good offensive coach and wants to get out in run, but you can't exactly do that with Allen, Gasol and Randolph. We have to look no further than when Briante Weber, Ray McCallum and Lance Stephenson were his best players for an extended period of time last season to see how damn good of a coach he is. He gets his guys to buy in and try hard all the time.

Also, consider me sold on Vlade. I was up and down on his first year as he made several good moves (WCS, Seth, Casspi) and several bad ones (Rondo, The Sixers trade), but this establishes him as a competent GM. This pick-up is equivalent of nabbing an all-star in free-agency and one that legitamtely puts this franchise in the right direction for the firs time in a long time. Well done

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Welcome Coach Joerger, here is hope that this officially ends the coaching carousel in Sacramento for the forseeable future. A big thanks has to go out to Memphis for letting him go, its telling that he wanted to come here, that's promising news. I'm sure the money and freedom aren't too bad of a deal also. Nothing but success moving forward from here on out, established GM and coach in check, get the players you both want and let's start winning again.

I think history proves the most important decision a GM makes is who to hire as head coach and Vlade deserves a lot of credit for coming out of this process with one of the better young coaches out there. This offseason is crucial as it could be our last chance to hold on to Cousins, thankfully Vlade is off to about as good of a start as you could hope for. The roster still needs some serious reworking, but for the first time in a while I'm optimistic about the where were headed and about the people leading us there.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That means he was also in Memphis AFTER Gay was traded and saw the team improve after Rudy was sent packing.

A bit of a myth there -- the team was steadily improving with Gay and just stayed on the same path -- but obviously we don't know how Joerger felt about it. We do know he said something about having "deep ties" to Sacramento, and for the life of me I can't find any others. Rudy, Koufos, Elston if he bring shim. Born and went to college in Minnesota, all of his coaching stints have been midwest. Can't think of nay other players we have that have passed through Memphis. Checked on Catanella, no there. No on Vlade or Peja. So...

Koufos, Gay, Turner if he hires him. Maybe his wife has some.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
A bit of a myth there -- the team was steadily improving with Gay and just stayed on the same path -- but obviously we don't know how Joerger felt about it. We do know he said something about having "deep ties" to Sacramento, and for the life of me I can't find any others. Rudy, Koufos, Elston if he bring shim. Born and went to college in Minnesota, all of his coaching stints have been midwest. Can't think of nay other players we have that have passed through Memphis. Checked on Catanella, no there. No on Vlade or Peja. So...

The Gay trade paid immediate dividends to the Grizzlies as they improved their league rank in several important categories (FG%, 3P%, PPG, TOs, opp scoring etc) that season.

But beyond that if the team was on it's way up and trading Gay had little to no impact on their growth as a team that doesn't speak very highly of Gay's contribution to the team since he was essentially dealt for the ghost of Tayshaun Prince, Ed Davis and a bag of chips.

That means he was also in Memphis AFTER Gay was traded and saw the team improve after Rudy was sent packing.
You know the Grizz win total was higher and they made the WCF in 13 after trading Gay. But overall in the Playoffs their success pre and post Rudy is similar. I think more is made of the Grizz success post Rudy than is really there.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know the Grizz win total was higher and they made the WCF in 13 after trading Gay. But overall in the Playoffs their success pre and post Rudy is similar. I think more is made of the Grizz success post Rudy than is really there.
But again, if dealing Rudy didn't really affect the team negatively then that's still not a ringing endorsement for Gay.

Anyway, back to coach Joerger. I think he'll definitely have some input on the roster so we'll just have to wait and see what happens this offseason.

In the meantime I'm just happy the Kings got a coach I like.

Doubling his salary tied him up.

Thanks Double-K for posting that video! I saw that on You tube awhile back... There were some idiots on a message board calling him a "baby" for crying........But come on! That just shows passion, nothing wrong with that.. and love how he's sticking up for his players in that video........ Idiot decision by the Grizz ownership to fire this guy........I don't think we could have made a better choice.....I personally would be very shocked if Cousins doesn't get along with this guy....

Thanks Double-K for posting that video! I saw that on You tube awhile back... There were some idiots on a message board calling him a "baby" for crying........But come on! That just shows passion, nothing wrong with that.. and love how he's sticking up for his players in that video........ Idiot decision by the Grizz ownership to fire this guy........I don't think we could have made a better choice.....I personally would be very shocked if Cousins doesn't get along with this guy....
You know what they say about "One man's loss"... :)

I didn't think I'd ever be this excited about a new coaching hire who wasnt named Michael Malone, but Coach J seems to have all of the Malone qualities I loved with...dare I say it???... some noticable upgrades thrown in.

MK

I didn't think I'd ever be this excited about a new coaching hire who wasnt named Michael Malone, but Coach J seems to have all of the Malone qualities I loved with...dare I say it???... some noticable upgrades thrown in.

MK

Agreed, not to mention that I'm looking forward to his post-game conferences. I always loved to watch post-game conferences where the coach talks, but Karl changed all that. He was just painful to listen to..........I felt like he said the same exact things every time, that is if I could even hear/understand him.