"Official" Fire Musselman, Hire Brooks Thread

Definitely fire Muss. But not until the last game of the season. Nobody can tank like him without, say, giving away AI and buying out Webber.

Just got back from the game...thanks to prophetess for the tickets! It was an entertaining game...from 16 to 1 point up before closing it out.

I wonder how the fans will react if the Kings lose with Muss back against the Bulls.

Just got back from the game...thanks to prophetess for the tickets! It was an entertaining game...from 16 to 1 point up before closing it out.

I wonder how the fans will react if the Kings lose with Muss back against the Bulls.
I don't think that it will be pretty.:eek:

Glad that you had fun!

Bibby seemingly demonstrated tonight that he has been poorly prepared most of this year, emphasis on unprepared to make shots, his forte. I believe it is called poorly tuned muscle-memory. Is Eric Musselman, the other "mussel", responsible for babysitting a highly-paid veteran player, the team captain?

Regardless, I think these guys are turning it around. Although for what, I am not certain.

Keep Musselman! He's our only hope for a good draft pick.

:p

This is an easy sentiment to have; however, life is much easier for an assistant coach than a real coach. In a temporary role assistant coaches tend to be more popular than head coaches. Why? Because head coaches tend to be harder on their players than assistants who are usually the nice guys or "good cop" in the player relationship. This has been seen many times over in the NBA.

While I am not really saying this in defence of Muss who still has a lot to prove, I am simply pointing out that Brooks as a long term option (who some posters have advocated as a long term plan) is a big risk. Muss probably deserves a second year to prove himself without multipule players playing for contracts. He very easily could prove to be the failure many people are calling him, but advocating Brooks is far from a safe option based on NBA history.

I don't think any of us are seriously looking at Brooks as a long-term answer. The guy came to us with, what, an 0-4 NBA coaching record?

The message I'm getting is more that the Kings do not respond to coaches they can't stand, and that a random, slightly qualified guy can do better with them. Brooks might be fine as an interim, but no hurry, he's young and has a lot of career ahead of him. He can be a head coach in 2015 and still be ahead of the curve.

Replacing Muss, on the other hand, can't wait for another year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think any of us are seriously looking at Brooks as a long-term answer. The guy came to us with, what, an 0-4 NBA coaching record?

The message I'm getting is more that the Kings do not respond to coaches they can't stand, and that a random, slightly qualified guy can do better with them. Brooks might be fine as an interim, but no hurry, he's young and has a lot of career ahead of him. He can be a head coach in 2015 and still be ahead of the curve.

Replacing Muss, on the other hand, can't wait for another year.
That's my perception, too.

The difference in the overall attitude of the team, on and off the court, was obvious. And, for these past two games, they've actually looked as though they weren't being tortured.

I started this thread as a joke. And maybe I am out of touch, but I did not realize that there was a real Anti-Musselman sentiment out there. Help me out, because I am ignorant.

I am not a huge fan of Muss, but how can you think about dismissing a coach who has been on the job all of 45 games of a three year deal? I don't think the Maloofs are all about throwing away money like that. Plus, I don't know who out there is better.

I am all for giving Eric Musselman at least this season, no matter what the outcome is. And if we are looking at the hard play of "this group" of players as an indicator to me that is short sighted because most of this team is short timers anyway except for Artest, Martin, Salmons and maybe Corliss. I am all for getting rid of the players before I am getting rid of the coach, at least this time.

The teams isn't making an effort. The record is one thing but not being ready to even play the game is completely another. How many times have they come out of half time and completely blundered the 3rd quarter? (great half time speech coach) How many times have they thrown the game away late in the 4th? (great strategy) Does it look like Bibby, Brad, Artest, Miller, or Thomas want to play for Muss to you?

It could be that it just took this long for the team to adapt to the new system.

The only system that I have seen change from this year to last is the substitutions. Muss plays a lot more players and keeps his starters out way to long. A sub is only suppose to give the starters a little break. Not a 10 min break. Which in real time can be up to 30-35 minutes.

The only system that I have seen change from this year to last is the substitutions. Muss plays a lot more players and keeps his starters out way to long. A sub is only suppose to give the starters a little break. Not a 10 min break. Which in real time can be up to 30-35 minutes.
"Mike Bibby has just made all 4 of his 4 shots? Quick, pull him out for Douby and let him sit on the bench for 30 minutes!"

I do see differences in the offensive system that Muss runs. He runs more isolation plays and only lately has gotten Miller back to passing from the high post.

"Wait! Miller just made 3 assists in a row! Quick, pull him out for Corliss!"

gunks

Hall of Famer
The teams isn't making an effort. The record is one thing but not being ready to even play the game is completely another. How many times have they come out of half time and completely blundered the 3rd quarter? (great half time speech coach) How many times have they thrown the game away late in the 4th? (great strategy) Does it look like Bibby, Brad, Artest, Miller, or Thomas want to play for Muss to you?
Before Artest showed up, our "core" wasnt really wanting to play for Rick either....The team is a mess, players and coach.

I dont really like Muss, but I'd much rather hear about a trade then him getting fired.

Petrie's got his work cut out for him...And honestly, if this trade deadline comes and goes without any changes I wouldnt mind seeing GP canned before Muss. (With Bricklayer as replacement GM of course :p)

Last edited:
I don't think the team is playing much differently than they were under Muss the few games before the suspension. Win against Minn. and an inspired effort against Dallas (Nobody is hanging against them at home).

Entity

Hall of Famer
I don't think the team is playing much differently than they were under Muss the few games before the suspension. Win against Minn. and an inspired effort against Dallas (Nobody is hanging against them at home).
I agree. Its amazing how good a coach looks when his players actually hit open shots and don't try to go one on one in crunch time. Its not Muss its not Brooks it wasn't Adleman. If Bibby, Artest, Miller are shooting well below thier career averages you are going to lose. When they shoot at or higher you are going to win. Its that simple always has been in the game of basketball. All the defense in the world don't help when your shooting % drops 10 or 12 points from one season to the next.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If you have been playing basketball at a high level you entire life. Enough to get drafted and payed Millions and Millions of dollars to play this game and have been in the NBA for 7+ years. Do you really need somebody giving you this great speech at halftime or whatnot to continue to play at the same level you did just 15 min earlier?? If you do then i don't want you on my team you are a problem not the coach. These guys are grown men and Muss got blasted for setting K-Mart some saying he was acting like a high school cooach scolding players. Then a few months later guys don't come out with a hight level of intensity and you want the coach to give this speech of some sort that makes all things better. Its hogwash.

The players make the coach not the other way around. How many rings would Phil have if not for Jordan, Pippen, Bryant, O'Neal. Now how many rings would those players have without Phil. My guess is the playes would have more. Championship teams have had great players. Danny Fortson as coach could have won championships with Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Bird, Mchale, Jordan, Hakeem,