OFFICIAL designated Artest announcement thread!

P

playmaker0017

While I am wary after the fiasco - I still think this deal has the potential to really help the Kings.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I hear a release read on KFBK by Tom Sullivan that said the trade was on again in some manner, so I guess Special sweet-talked them into going forward.

So where do I buy ashes and sack cloth?

Sad to see Peja go. I am goign to remain optimistic that Artest will play hard for this team and not let his antics distract the team--until he proves otherwise.

Warhawk said:
I hear a release read on KFBK by Tom Sullivan that said the trade was on again in some manner, so I guess Special sweet-talked them into going forward.

So where do I buy ashes and sack cloth?
evidently special's sane personality showed up to meeting with the Maloofs. Just our luck... it's not over yet...he still may not show up to his physical.

Well this is going to be 50/50 cance of the trade being genius or just one of those "what the heck were they thinking" . The best of luck to Peja and may his jumper continue to improve

Variant said:
Not sure, how official you want, but here's an ESPN link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2304942

We'll see how things work out, but I for one am salivating over Bonzi and Artest out on the floor at the same time. Along with our developing rookies and Mike scoring (and Brad getting his act together consistently) and we've got a pretty potent lineup.

... or time bomb ;)
the espn link is mostly rehash, but wow, interesting that the agent pointed out that Sac is unstable because of Adelman's position and the situation of staying in Sac. Seeing it in print made me realize all over again that Sac just might lose the Kings.

love_them_kings said:
the espn link is mostly rehash, but wow, interesting that the agent pointed out that Sac is unstable because of Adelman's position and the situation of staying in Sac. Seeing it in print made me realize all over again that Sac just might lose the Kings.
As I said before, make one more trade for a "Bobby Jackson" type 6th man, give Adelman a chance, and work on that new arena. If all goes well, worrying will be a distant memory.

just my thoughts...

Artests first game will be INCREDIBLY crucial and interesting..if he shows up..dominates the boards..locks down on defense..and does everything weve ever wanted..this will go well for a while (key word a while) but if he comes out and gives nothing from the start because he dosent want to play..we have a huge f***in problem

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
OK, I just hope he does this city proud. The chance is slim he will do so, and I hope he proves my fears wrong, but here it goes:

Go Kings (and that includes Special)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2304942
Artest-for-Peja deal back on pending NBA approval

ESPN.com news services

The trade that almost wasn't is on the verge of happening again. The Kings and Pacers have both signed off on a deal that will send Ron Artest to Sacramento and Peja Stojakovic to Indiana, sources told ESPN's Jim Gray. The trade is now only pending league approval.

Artest met Wednesday with Indiana Pacers officials to discuss a possible trade to the Sacramento Kings after a deal for Stojakovic collapsed on Tuesday night.
[SIZE=-2]Stojakovic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Artest[/SIZE]
"They said they were going to try to get something sorted out to get the trade done," Artest told the Indianapolis Star by phone as he drove away from the meeting at Conseco Fieldhouse. Artest told the Star it was a good meeting, but that there was "no trade right now."
However, ESPN's Gray and Stephen A. Smith reported Wednesday after the meeting that Artest has agreed to be traded. Gray reported that Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof talked to Artest and planned to talk to him again before finalizing any trade.
On Tuesday, his agent was more guarded about the prospect of Artest playing in Sacramento.
"In the last month, Ron Artest has been vehemently portrayed in an unflattering manner in the media, specifically in the aftermath of requesting a trade, even after it was made clear that he only spoke out because he believed the Pacers were going to trade him to Sacramento, a place he did not want to go to," Mark Stevens said in a statement to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith on Tuesday night. "Now it has become evident that this trade was not merely speculation but something that has been at least discussed for quite some time.
"Ron Artest did not want to be traded to Sacramento weeks ago, and he does not want to be traded to Sacramento now.
"Basketball is Ron Artest's passion. In order for Ron to fully demonstrate his natural skills and abilities, to the best of his abilities, he not only must be in an environment that is conducive to his growth an development as a player, he must also ensure that his family is happy and content as well. Ron does not believe that will be the case if he were in Sacramento. Period. However, as mentioned earlier, Ron is deeply committed to the sport of basketball and desperately misses playing the game he loves. If the trade is made he will play for his new team, regardless of how he may feel about it."
OTL: CALLING THE SHOTSJust about the time last month the Philadelphia Eagles' season was settling into irrelevancy, with Terrell Owens suspended and deactivated, Ron Artest demanded his trade from the Indiana Pacers. It took six weeks for the Pacers to strike a deal -- one Artest originally balked at. Outside the Lines parallels the fates of two talented stars raging against the establishment to achieve their individual goals. (ESPN, 1:40 a.m. ET/10:40 p.m. PT).
Stevens told ESPN's Greg Anthony that he thought Artest needed a stable situation with strong leadership, and that the uncertainty about both Kings coach Rick Adelman's future and the Kings' future in Sacramento indicated a lack of stability that would be uncomfortable for Artest.
Likewise, National Basketball Players Association executive director Billy Hunter told Anthony that Artest had not refused to report to Sacramento, although he had told Hunter of his reservations about the potential trade. Hunter expressed concern about reports that the Pacers might attempt to suspend Artest for playing a role in the Kings' rejection of the trade. Hunter told Anthony that Artest was not culpable for the possible dissolution of the deal because he had expressed that he would accept the trade.
The Pacers and Kings were close to a deal Tuesday, and Stojakovic stayed at the team hotel in Philadelphia when it appeared the trade would be finalized. But a source with inner knowledge of the day's events told Sheridan a call from Stevens to the Kings gave them second thoughts about pulling the trigger, and the deal was temporarily shelved.
"The way I was treated today, I was disappointed," Stojakovic told ESPN.com in Philadelphia. "I feel kind of disrespected with the way I found out. Thank God they have TVs here. I understand being traded, but this situation is weird. I had already planned my flight back to Sacramento, and now everything is reversed.
"I guess this is just a business, but the way I was told and the way I found out, I feel I deserved better from [Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof]. Anybody can get traded in the NBA, but the way I found out, it was disrespectful. I deserve better after seven and a half years."
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The way I was treated today, I was disappointed. I feel kind of disrespected with the way I found out.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Times,serif][/FONT][FONT=Times,serif]Peja Stojakovic[/FONT]
Stojakovic rode the team bus on the two-hour trip to New York after arriving by limo at the Wachovia Center during the second half of Sacramento's 109-103 loss to Philadelphia. He attended the team meeting on Wednesday morning as the Kings prepared to face the New York Knicks.
A source told Sheridan that the efforts to rekindle the deal were ongoing Wednesday and extended all the way to the ownership level on both teams.
Artest was a key component to a team that was expected to challenge for the Eastern Conference crown. He led the league in steals and was the Pacers' second-leading scorer at 19.4 points a game before being deactivated after publicly requesting a trade in early December.
Stojakovic has been having an unproductive, injury-hampered season for the last-place Kings, whose loss Tuesday was their third in a row. Stojakovic's scoring average is down almost eight points from his All-Star level of two years ago, and the Kings are at risk of losing him with nothing in return when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer. Indiana has been holding out for more than six weeks for an offer that it deems acceptable. A proposed swap for Corey Maggette fell through because of the Pacers' concerns over Maggette's foot injury, and talks with several other Western Conference teams failed to produce a deal that pleased all parties.

JJ22L said:
just my thoughts...

Artests first game will be INCREDIBLY crucial and interesting..if he shows up..dominates the boards..locks down on defense..and does everything weve ever wanted..this will go well for a while (key word a while) but if he comes out and gives nothing from the start because he dosent want to play..we have a huge f***in problem
Dominates the boards? Artest is not known for his rebounding :(. Don't expect a "Peja-like" shooter either. Just think, if you want to contain Kobe, AI, Wade, Manu....and Peja into shooting below their averages, hes your man.

PFFFT!! said:
Dominates the boards? Artest is not know for his rebounding :(. Don't expect a "Peja-like" shooter either. Just think, if you want to contain Kobe, AI, Wade, and Manu into shooting below their averages, hes your man.
...you cant be serious...lets see here...Jermaine o neal...pollard...foster..etc ...OR miller..peja...SAR...GIVE ME A BREAK...his rebounding will go up 2 fold here...hell be at 7.8 by the end of the season.

Im not tryin to defend him..im stating the facts..more boards to go around here..when i say more i mean..MOREEEEEE..look at bonzis average..up what 3.4 ish?!?!

JJ22L said:
just my thoughts...

The thing is, let's say we lose Artest, the team, this year atleast, has played much better without Peja than with him (IE the Suns game). So even if Artest is a bust (I hope it isn't), we aren't losing all that much. Francisco and Kevin have proved they can play and will only get better. Peja has proved this year we can win without him. I miss the Peja from 2 seasons ago, I miss the player, I won't miss his play over the last 2 seasons at all.

I hope Ron will come around, and if he does I think the team will be better for it. Artest is a much better all around player than Peja, atleast the Peja we've seen the last 2 seasons. Artest is the defender other than Big Ben, he's young (26) and he's motivated. Odds are he won't stick around for more than 2 seasons, but odds are, the Kings won't need him after those seasons and odds are we weren't keeping Peja past this season. If we do somehow keep him and he turns a little less insane, I hope we reward him with a fair deal but one that will keep him here for a while but will not restrain us like the Webber deal did.