Nuggs officially sign Evans, still need SG with 1 spot left..

After flirting with a couple of teams Reggie Evans decided to continue his relationship with the Nuggets.
Evans signed a five-year contract Friday that could be worth up to $23 million. The 6-foot-8, 245-pound power forward averaged 5.2 points and 8.7 rebounds in 26 games for the Nuggets last season. Evans cited Minnesota and Cleveland as his biggest suitors, but said his preference had been to stay with the Nuggets, who acquired him from Seattle on Feb. 23.

"I liked Denver a lot. It was just an honor for them to do what they did to get me," Evans said. "They stood by me a lot and that carried over. They appreciated what I did on the court.''
In four NBA seasons Evans has posted averages of 4.1 points and 7.3 rebounds. The Pensacola, Fla. native went undrafted out of Iowa in 2002.

"It feels good to have this (long-term contract)," he said. "I can take care of my kids and focus on what I love to do, playing ball."
Mark Warkentien, recently promoted to vice-president of basketball operations, said, "We're glad to have Reggie back. He is only 26 and is the best per-minute rebounder in the NBA."
While it was previously believed that Warkentien would be the go-to guy on all Nuggets moves, he and newly named vice president of player personnel Rex Chapman will hold equal power on team decisions and report to advisor Bret Bearup and owner Stan Kroenke. Warkentien, Chapman and Bearup are expected to begin meeting Monday in Denver.
"(We'll) kind of take inventory of where we are at and where we need to go," Warkentien said.

The Nuggets have 14 players on their roster, including just five guards. Denver is interested in adding a veteran shooting guard and possibly a 3-point threat. Another possible shooting guard option is Nuggets free agent DerMarr Johnson. Denver could also try to deal one or more of its big men to acquire backcourt help.

Footnotes USA Basketball executive director Jim Tooley said it should become clear soon whether Venezuela is still going to host the 2007 FIBA America Zone Olympic Qualifying Tournament. If Venezuela declines, potential 2007 FIBA America hosts includes Puerto Rico, Mexico, Argentina and possibly the United States. Team USA must compete in the tournament in hopes of qualifying for one of three spots in the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_4307893

As expected for Evans.

Signing DeMarr Johnson would be an okay addition for them. Knows the system, is athletic, long. But, shooting? No. He's not a reliable long-range shooter.

So, the Nuggs would still have no consistent perimeter shooter. The guy with the longest and consistent range (inside the arc), Joe Smith, his role is uncertain and it's possible he'll be traded.

Nuggs let Pargo/House/Butler/Ju. Jones/Delk all get signed elsewhere. Barring a trade, I think they should get Kareem Rush, had a problem in Charlotte, but he can shoot and is athletic. I think he'd be a solid role-player on the team

For trades, I think the Nuggs could go after Troy Hudson/Q-Rich/Mike Miller. Maybe Wally S.

Last edited:
Please remember folks, that we are capped out, Bonzi isn't ours anymore...he has no contract, and I think Geoff is MORE than aware of those facts, and that's not changing...at least this year. In other words: Bonzi and Mr. Phillips are on their own with this.

Wait don't they have JR Smith why do they need another SG? JR Smith can easily give them 15PPG.
Guys who they can use at SG:

- JR Smith
- Julius Hodge: talented player, but didn't get to play in his rookie year, and unfortunately got shot
- Yakhouba Diawarra: undrafted rookie swingman, could be a diamond in the rough, but not in the mold of a good scorer. More of an athletic defensive team-player.

That's it.

Aside from only having 5 guards, they need depth there and someone who is proven in some way for them. Obviously they'd prefer a guy who can shoot, having no one reliable in that area. JR Smith has a 3P percentage of 31, and still needs to develop in general. He's good athlete and can score though. He'll likely start unless they do a trade for a more experienced SG.

Last edited:
I don't think Hodge getting shot has much to do with anything. He probably won't much minutes next year anyway, and he's not much of a shooter--both in range and consistency. He's more of an initiating all-around player who can score.

I don't think Hodge getting shot has much to do with anything. He probably won't much minutes next year anyway, and he's not much of a shooter--both in range and consistency. He's more of an initiating all-around player who can score.
Not for this season it doesn't, because he's recovered. But for last season? It obviously did.

If the Nuggs don't get another SG, Hodge will see time, as slated now. He's actually one of my favorite players coming out of college. I'd like to see him get a consistent chance to play somewhere, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen anytime soon in Denver. So far, I still don't know why they drafted him, other than to be a possible trade piece.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
They should go after Kareem Rush. He's still a FA right?

Still they have too many middling guys at the PF/C. No reason to have all of them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
While it was previously believed that Warkentien would be the go-to guy on all Nuggets moves, he and newly named vice president of player personnel Rex Chapman will hold equal power on team decisions and report to advisor Bret Bearup and owner Stan Kroenke. Warkentien, Chapman and Bearup are expected to begin meeting Monday in Denver.

"(We'll) kind of take inventory of where we are at and where we need to go," Warkentien said.
Ah, good. A committee to make team decisions. I'm sure that's gonna end well...

:rolleyes:

Ah, good. A committee to make team decisions. I'm sure that's gonna end well...

:rolleyes:
Now, now. Didn't you notice the change in management styles between the original Star Trek and the Next Generation. They must have watched too much of it and think they are on the cutting edge.:)

................ can't you just imagine the office politics? Gotta feel for the brown noser who picks wrong.:p ............nah.