(Non Monarchs) Vicky Baugh Story

Great Game!

Yeah, that was a great game last night, impressive turnaround by Sac High to reverse their streak of empty trips to the Section Finals by taking home the banner.

Gotta say tho, if Sac High discovers in the next few days how to effectively (key word here) run their half court offense, (hell, ANYBODY'S half court offense) they might be alright as they move on, they needed to find a way to control tempo against a smaller, faster and deeper team. They essentially gutted out that game last night because they were definitely gassed most of that game and when they couldn't run, they were lost - well that's not entirely true, they had opportunities to do stuff still when they broke the press, but got themselves in trouble with their questionable passing decisions.

Vicki Baugh had an outstanding game, sensed that she needed to take control of things and certainly did. I can't find all of her stats, the Bee had a partial line on her of 26pts and 20 rebs. I'd guesstimate that she had at least 5-6 blocks including one final definitive one in the waning seconds of that game to help keep St. Mary's impressive perimeter shooters at bay. She looked to be glued on whiteline on the weakside, St Mary's was able to swing the ball around the perimeter to a player camped out on the wing...um, sorta like game 2 of the 2005 Finals. Baugh however closed out on this shooter...(that she was able to get to her was enough to showcase her speed - I'm still not sure how she got there-but that's not even the most impressive part)...Baugh not only got a piece of the shot, she got EVERY LITTLE LAST BIT of the damn ball and sent it into the red seats in the corner section on that side of the floor. (Um...yeah...if you've been to ARCO and know where the red seats start in those corner sections in relation to the floor?...yeah, it was THAT impressive a block...and remember she too had to first close out on the shooter from the middle of the paint...feeling that? the arena sure did! :) It took a while to retrieve the ball once it ping ponged off folks and onto the table in that corner)

The only marr on the game last night was a completely unnecessary flagrant foul in the waning seconds of that game. Sac High was nursing a 3 pt lead (lol, kinda the same 3pt lead they finished with), Baugh is rumbling down the floor after a St. Mary's turnover, looking every bit to me like she's thinking dunk (she may not have thrown it down, but it looked like it was in her head), as she takes flight - St. Mary's player decides to give her a double barrelled shove into the basket stantion. Just a thought..Young one..if that's all you can think to do? let her have the damn basket, you could have seriously injured somebody being stupid like that. The talk has been that Baugh is mild mannered and unassuming...eh..not after she got up from that...she was a liiitle bit feisty.

Also was cool to have another Kara Lawson sighting, kinda weird seeing her sitting IN arena seats :D I thought I heard as we walked out last night that this game (and perhaps all of the other section games) would be aired on Comcast at some point in the future. Check it out if that's true - watch for the authoritative block late in the 4th quarter, completely worth it.

From my quick perusal of the CIF site for info on the regionals, I saw that the brackets will be released late tomorrow afternoon. So we'll have an idea pretty quick what on tap for the Dragons, both the girls and the boys...congratulations to Sac High for their section title double dip last night.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Great post, MBF! I wasn't even going to try to describe that unbelievable block or that b.s. foul on Vicki at the end. You already know how angry I was about that foul. :mad: I was just happy to see her get up from that.

And to the girls and boys of Sacramento High School, I have only one thing to say...

GO DRAGONS!!

Awesome post MBF...I almost started to feel as if I, was in attedance!
Some imppresive stats, sounds like the kid is the real deal. More than likely she'll develope an edge after a season with coach Summitt:)

Will the game be on Friday night? Keep us posted & for sure we'll have to go in full force. Tell your fellow posters to come on out & support the team.
After all she may be the next coming of Candace Parker... Is that a fair comparison? For sure we haven't seen the kid dunk yet right?
Lets hope she gets a little edge & shows some swagger.
20 rebounds...now that is a lost art. Can't wait to catch the showdown & on the Arco floor....the same court the pros play on! Thats cool.

State Championship Bracket

Seedings have been announced for the opening round of the State High School Basketball Championships

Sac High will open at home against Hercules High on Thursday, March 8th (it looks like game tips @ 6pm)

Should they win that game, they will host a regional semi final game on Saturday the 10th.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Oh no, not the 10th. I'm already super busy that day. Well then, they had better keep on truckin right into the finals. Maybe I can get to that one.

Another Pair of Wins by Sacramento High

Both the Boys and Girls opened their NorCal playoff run hosting teams here in Sacramento, and both came away victorious. Both teams return to action on Saturday, March 10th, boys move to Moraga where they will take on #2 see Acalanes High. The girls will again play on campus at 7pm against Miramonte High.

Got out to the game tonight, packed house to support the two teams which was very nice to see and made for a fun atmosphere. Sacramento High was just a tad too much as they coasted to a 73-29 win over Hercules. Baugh's stat line 17pts and 11rebs...and there was a Pat Summitt sighting as she sat courtside watching her recruit. Pat stuck around to sit with Vicki during the boys game that followed. Very cool.

It's a good thing Vicki signed with the Lady Vols instead of the LSU Tigers (who also had their eyes on her), especially in light of what's been happening at LSU the last few days!

Both the Boys and Girls opened their NorCal playoff run hosting teams here in Sacramento, and both came away victorious. Both teams return to action on Saturday, March 10th, boys move to Moraga where they will take on #2 see Acalanes High. The girls will again play on campus at 7pm against Miramonte High.

Got out to the game tonight, packed house to support the two teams which was very nice to see and made for a fun atmosphere. Sacramento High was just a tad too much as they coasted to a 73-29 win over Hercules. Baugh's stat line 17pts and 11rebs...and there was a Pat Summitt sighting as she sat courtside watching her recruit. Pat stuck around to sit with Vicki during the boys game that followed. Very cool.
I also was there and saw MBF walking in the upper level.:D Was not able to see the girl's game unfortunately, but was able to see a decent boys game. Here is a little trivia from last night's game.

Rob Jones was the center of last night's Riordan Crusaders of San Francisco (He was fairly impressive, Sac had no answer for him.)

Question - Rob Jones is related to one of San Francisco's most famous or infamous citizens. Who is Rob Jones' relative?

...Here is a little trivia from last night's game.

Rob Jones was the center of last night's Riordan Crusaders of San Francisco (He was fairly impressive, Sac had no answer for him.)

Question - Rob Jones is related to one of San Francisco's most famous or infamous citizens. Who is Rob Jones' relative?

Let me guess: The Rev. Jim Jones, of the People's Temple cult fame in the late 70's? His "church" followers (including himself) committed suicide by drinking Kool-Aid that was laced with cyanide.

Bingo!!!

Let me guess: The Rev. Jim Jones, of the People's Temple cult fame in the late 70's? His "church" followers (including himself) committed suicide by drinking Kool-Aid that was laced with cyanide.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...16/SPGQHNJABV1.DTL&hw=Jim+Jones&sn=002&sc=991

BUILDING HIS OWN LEGACY

The grandson of Jim Jones is one of the Bay Area's top prep athletes

Will McCulloch, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The father treasures the newspaper clipping. He keeps it in a scrapbook. The son has it on his MySpace page.
"Jones Leads Riordan to Top," the headline reads.
It has become a familiar theme as Riordan High senior Rob Jones has earned All-Metro honors in both basketball and football in a time of athletic specialization. For the father, it is a reminder that extends beyond the perfunctory paternal pride.

"It's the last name Jones used positively," the father said. "I take great pleasure because it's my family name."
It is also symbolic of an identity change. In gyms and football stadiums, he is not the son of a notorious figure in history but the father of Rob Jones.
Jim Jones Jr. is all too familiar with the Jones name in the news. Ever since Nov. 18, 1978, when his adoptive father, Jim Jones Sr., urged the members of his uprooted San Francisco church in Jonestown, Guyana, to consume cyanide-laced Flavor Aid, his name has been inextricably linked to the Jonestown Massacre. When more than 900 people died in Jonestown, the then-18-year-old Jones Jr. was playing in a basketball tournament in the city of Georgetown, Guyana.

Jones Jr. -- who lost his first wife and unborn child among other family members in the tragedy -- was the first African American child in the state of Indiana to be adopted by Caucasian parents and credits growing up in the church with saving his life. But playing basketball on that day in 1978 kept him alive. Still, the game he loved to play lost its appeal.

"I stopped playing because of the bad memory of it," Jones Jr. said.
These days, fatherhood and CYO coaching duties have brought him back to the game that will pay his son's college tuition. Jones Jr. , who recently took a job in the medical industry, has raised his three children with his wife Erin in Pacifica without sheltering them from the past.

"I think the best thing I've done is separate them (my children) from Jonestown by being so open about it," Jones said. "It allows them to not have a stigma around them. The legacy they create will be their own and will not be reflected by their heritage."

Rob Jones' athletic legacy is a growing one that just might put the 6-foot-5, 240-pounder in a select class of football/basketball players in Bay Area high school history.

With his success, Jones has become accustomed to fellow students and teachers at Riordan stopping him in the hallways to congratulate him after another double-double performance on the basketball court. But there is the other reason, too.

"They come up to me all the time," Rob Jones said. "I have people who I've gone to school with for four years who pull me aside. They tell me they talked about it in religion class or life-studies class. I've grown up my whole life knowing, but people are so shocked about it."

Just last week, a Riordan teacher who grew up in San Francisco and knew the story approached Jones after seeing the recently released documentary, "Jonestown: The Life and Death of People's Temple," in which Jones Jr. is interviewed. She shared her surprise with Rob. She had not made the connection.

"I'm ready for anything," Jones said. "A random person, people I don't know. They come up to me and ask me about it."
According to Jones, the conversations usually end with an almost bewildering moment when he is forced to chuckle away the awkwardness.
"That's my grandfather," he says to them.

He admits that it makes him feel good to hear his dad tell him that he is bringing something so positive to the family name. But he also says that never having met his grandfather, whom Jones Jr. reminds the family was a good father in many regards, makes it difficult for him to truly connect with the magnitude of the tragedy. "It's really just a story to me," Jones said.

With all his success and physical presence, it's easy to forget Rob Jones is a teenager. Since his sophomore year, he has wrestled with a tendency to bark at his teammates.

"I think he still hasn't gotten to where he needs to be," Forslund said, "but he's not as critical of his teammates."
Daniel Curtin, one of his best friends and a teammate in both sports, has seen Jones' evolution as an athlete and leader firsthand.
"Against Serra (in football), he dropped his first pass of the year," Curtin said. "The old Rob would have shut down. He would have been angry and frustrated. But he made a crucial catch in the third quarter."

Said Jones: "I haven't always been the most mature, but I've think I've grown a lot in my four years. I was definitely more childish before. I grew a lot this summer looking at colleges, realizing that it's forcing me to grow up. I'm going to be on my own soon."

Beneath Jones' competitiveness and sometimes hot temper emanates a certain humility. It's a self-awareness influenced by his father's unique journey.

"He's had many struggles in my lifetime that I've seen from the aftershock of that event," said Rob Jones, who traveled to Guyana in the third grade with his family. "He's been through some hard times and I have great respect for him. And my mother, too. Because she's been there for him. Through thick and thin, they've been together.

"What I've basically gotten out of it is keep working hard. If you keep working hard, something good will happen. He went through so much bad, something good has to come out of it."
There already is one certainty: Rob Jones has carved out his own identity and created a legacy that will be remembered beyond the Riordan record books. Just ask his father.

Play @ ARCO will be the CIF State Championships and will take place for at least Division III on Saturday, March 24th. To get there, Sac High will need to win tomorrow night, and defend its NorCal title next Saturday in the arena in Stockton.

The interesting thing I noted when the brackets were released on Sunday was that Sac High very well could be on a collision course for a rematch with the same St. Mary's team they beat last week. What is even MORE ironic is, should that rematch take place, it will take place essentially on St.Mary's home turf in Stockton... We'll definitely need to truck it down there and even up the shouting, right?;) :)

Sacramento Girls Advance to NorCal Finals

Sacramento High defeated Miramonte High 58-46. Ok…here’s the skinny on the NorCal championship final next Saturday. Sacramento will face Sacred Heart Cathedral High @ the Stockton Arena, this game is set to tip at 10am (yes, 10 freaking AM). The boys I gather from the "the boys are losing by 12 with a minute to go" I heard as I was leaving, may not have held serve tonight in Moraga and its the end of the road for them.

I made it back out to Sac High tonight for the semi final game tonight...nooooo more nosebleeds for MBF...no sireeee...I took tonight's game in courtside....Good a good look at this game (in between people walking back and forth).

I got there and watched the teams warm up and immediately was struck by how big the girls on the Miramonte team were. Of the four previous Sac High games I have seen, this HAD to be the biggest opposing team I had seen. I was a litttttle bit worried. The game started, and they scored the first points and had Sac down 2-0, 4-2. They had Baugh doubled and tripled and looked like they had what it took to contain her and Sac High. However, that was as close to winning this game as they would get. Once they tied the game at 4, Sac High would go on to explode on 19-0 run, and eventually close the quarter with 25-6 lead. The problem that Miramonte had, as I saw it, which made them the antithesis of St. Marys, was their inability to shoot the damn ball. If they could have made shots, they *might* have had a chance to steal this game.

They did a great job with Baugh…their strategy was, in addition to the aforementioned doubles and triples on her, was to push her around. This was a team that could put a physical body on her. Not height, but a whole lotta physical and that was effective. I’m not sure what she finished with in terms of points or rebounds. But what she got, she got on getting a defensive rebound and going the end of the floor and laying it in (including finishing on a gorgeous spin move around a defender in the paint on transition) or from the FT line…not much from anywhere else. Too bad Summit wasn’t here, she could have gotten an opportunity to watch Baugh find teammates out of double teams. :)

Baugh picked up a 2nd foul early in the 2nd quarter and had to sit for about 3 minutes (weird offensive foul call on her, of all the things I thought they were blowing the whistle for (or could have called) an offensive foul was the least of them). Sac had a 20 pt lead when she left, and had a 21 pt lead when she got back, and I swear…I think they only scored a point while she was out…or at least it felt like they didn't score but a point

I had mentioned Miramonte’s poor shooting earlier…There was a sequence in the 2nd quarter that I think epitomized their night. They had chance to stop bleeding after the Sac High run in the 1st… They get a steal out near the top of the key, they essentially have a 3 on none fast break going, and they throw the ball out of bounds shortly after crossing mid court. Nearly the next Sac possession, Miramonte steals the ball again, has a 2-1 fast break this time, then blow the layup. They then in a later possession get a bail out call, kid misses the free throw. Ay Carumba. 36-16 halftime score.

Third quarter was a liiiiiiitle better for them…Sac cooled down after a quick start, and when the Miramonte run first started (or maybe at the point I noticed that it felt like a run ;)) thanks in large part to sloppy sloppy sloppy basketball by Sacramento over this period….I look up and they had closed the gap back to a 20pt lead and I start thinking shoot, how disheartening is that, you go on a run and still have 20pt mountain to climb. Be damned if they didn’t dig in and start to climb it. Inside 1:30 to go in the 3rd, they had closed it to 16 pt lead thanks to Sac turnovers. Again, their poor shooting (or more bad luck with their shots this time) caused them to not be able to close it any better. I counted 5 shots that were half way down and popped back out of the basket, 3 of them in successive possessions. 46-30 Sac at the end of 3. I thought to self (sorta lol) man, Sac needs to find some offense and how to figure out this zone or this could go sideways. Just as I think that, Sac jumps out quick and blitzes Miramonte 4-0. AGAIN…Miramonte would go, missed layup (and it was a BADLY missed layup too), a turnover in the backcourt, and yet another turnover on a fast break. One last run by Miramonte wasn’t quite enough…Sac takes it 58-46.

Let me say this too, and get it out of the way....gotta give it up to the opposition, they traveled at least 50-60 people from the Bay Area for this game, and they were very vocal. During intros, you definitely got a good earful of their enthusiastic presence…LOVED THAT…until the game started and they started to tick me off. Memo to Miramonte Fans….Your team got jumped because Sacramento was running all over them…not because the refs were doing anything. STHU. Whiny Whiny Whiny any time a whistle blew until the call went their way and then they cheered. Gawd…

Last edited:

I got there and watched the teams warm up and immediately was struck by how big the girls on the Miramonte team were. Of the four previous Sac High games I have seen, this HAD to be the biggest opposing team I had seen.
haha, Hercules must have been one of the smallest? But Miramonte's a real good team, Hercules lost to them in the NCS Championship game.
Nice recap, Monty'sBiggestFan!

Hercules seemed taller than St. Mary's ;) and giants compared to I think it was Hiram Johnson High's team I saw on Sac's senior night. I swear to GOODNESS I thought that was a JV team hanging around to watch the ceremony, until they took the court to warm up. :)

Miramonte was definitely got my attention - if they could have made shots last night they could have beaten Sacramento or at least stood a good chance to. Sac's run, which seems typical of their post season, was definitely defensively fueled, but it also was helped by their opponent missing easy shots. Sac seemed on the ropes, nursing a 24 pt lead in the 2nd half, if its possible say that in a sentence together.

Holler, are the schools in your section Contra Costa county or do you stretch into some of Alameda and further?

Haha, Hercules is part of the Alameda Contra Costa Athletic League with schools a bit outside of county - like Berkeley, Alameda, and Encinal. But aside from those three, all the rest are within 10 minutes from Hercules.

End of the road...

Sadly...the journey has ended for the Sacramento High girls basketball team...no specifics, but checking the state championship website I saw that they lost to Sacred Heart Cathedral 67-66 Saturday morning. :(

Best wishes to young Ms. Baugh....go 'head child....get ur allstar games and career @ Tennessee on....

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
That is a bummer. A 1 pt game to such a nationally high ranked team is something to still be proud of though.

Good luck at Tennessee, young-un. Learn well from the best coach ever and we'll see you drafted high into the WNBA 4 yrs from now.

Stat line for Baugh's final game for Sac High...31pts, 10rebs, 5 blks.

A Sacramento turnover with under 8 seconds to go lead to Sacred Heart Cathedral's game winner. Sac also had had a 8 pt lead with under 5 mins to go and apparently couldn't hit free throws down the stretch...

SacBee.com game story

More for the mantle....

Congratulations yet again to Ms. Baugh...Parade Magazine Girls Basketball First Team All American...

http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2007/edition_04-08-2007/Girls_Basketball

In addition to Victoria Baugh, these other names are starting to sound mighty familiar too.

(and since I haven't said it this month....Maya Moore people, keep your eyes on Maya Moore)

I saw a blurb in the Bee earlier this week (perhaps, not sure what the actual date was for the paper), however the writer in the sports section was reminding folks that the area had one more player back in the day as heavily decorated as Vicki Baugh, Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer Denise Curry from Davis.

Hopefully we can say we knew Victoria Baugh way back when as she heads down that same path...?:)

Congratulations yet again to Ms. Baugh...Parade Magazine Girls Basketball First Team All American...

http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2007/edition_04-08-2007/Girls_Basketball

In addition to Victoria Baugh, these other names are starting to sound mighty familiar too.

(and since I haven't said it this month....Maya Moore people, keep your eyes on Maya Moore)

I saw a blurb in the Bee earlier this week (perhaps, not sure what the actual date was for the paper), however the writer in the sports section was reminding folks that the area had one more player back in the day as heavily decorated as Vicki Baugh, Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer Denise Curry from Davis.

Hopefully we can say we knew Victoria Baugh way back when as she heads down that same path...?:)

Good luck to her at Tennessee. represent your hometown!

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/159874.html

Preps Plus: Names and news

By Mark McDermott - Bee Staff Writer

Last Updated 6:11 am PDT Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C6

Girls basketball

Baugh honors roll in -- Sacramento's Vicki Baugh was named the NorCal Player of the Year by NorCalPreps.com and first-team All-State by Cal-Hi Sports. Second-team NorCal honors went to El Camino's Laura Peterson and third team to Oak Ridge's Emily Christensen.

<snip>

Congratulations again...:)