Nocioni & Hawes Traded for Dalembert

I'm not sure how this impacts our draft position. Maybe they like Cousins but think it may be a couple years for him to develop. Or, maybe they want a 3 and will trade down...

I'm not upset at this point

Okay, the offseason is officially underway! What does this say about our draft strategy?
You arent kidding!! And as always, GP pulls off something just out of left field that no one saw coming...This makes me wonder now if we're not drafting Johnson now. Dalembert is going to be in his 10th season coming up, but yet is still somewhat young in NBA terms at 29 years old. He averaged 8 pts and about 10 rebounds and 2 blocks this past season. So Geoff...WHO are you going to draft??

Wow how in the hell did GP pull this one off? Why would Philly take on Nocionis contract? My thoughts are the Kings offseason has nowhere to go but up now that we got that done. This is easily the best thing that we could of done wit Nocionis contract.

So does this mean we r taking Wes Johnson if he is on the board?

Since Sammy D is expiring, I think this means the Kings are set on taking a center in the draft. Otherwise, the team is without a real center after the season and I doubt Petrie would let the roster get into that pitfall.

One year left on his deal, $12.2 million. Costs us about $2 million in cap space, but saves us a bunch of money in the long run. I'll kinda miss Hawes, and hopefully we'll be doing something to make sure that we have a center beyond this coming season, because I don't think Dalembert is the long term answer. But my initial reaction to this is that I like the way it sounds.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Okay, the offseason is officially underway! What does this say about our draft strategy?
looks like we decided to try to win for a change

I still can't believe that someone took Noc and Hawes so i don't believe this trade is real untill it signed and Nos has Philly uniform.

Last edited:
Great trade for us IMO but does this mean we don't draft cousins or another C?
I seriously hope our FO isn't dumb enough to refrain from drafting Cousins because of Sam Dalembert. I think this is in part because of our need for a big, but mainly because he's an expiring contract.

I think this trade is a good idea. We dumped two years of Noc's contract and it only costed us Hawes, rather than our 5th pick.

Wow how in the hell did GP pull this one off? Why would Philly take on Nocionis contract? My thoughts are the Kings offseason has nowhere to go but up now that we got that done. This is easily the best thing that we could of done wit Nocionis contract.

So does this mean we r taking Wes Johnson if he is on the board?
They must really like Hawes or something.

It doesn't indicate anything about who we're picking in the draft. Dalembert is an expiring contract more than anything else.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
love it!!! No impact on draft either IMHO. A Cousins would end up with an all-star caliber mentor for a year at least. Dalembert has only 1-yr left on his contract too!! Seems a real win-win to me.:D

I would have to think that Dalembert will be playing his you know what off to get a new contract after this next season, and I dont think he will be asking for anything in the neighborhood of what he's making now(Philly got jobbed with his current contract), so as long as he meshes with Tyreke and whoever we draft/sign, I dont see a problem with bringing him back, even if we do draft Cousins he would be great to bring off the bench...and this also opens up PLENTY of futher trade options beings he is an expiring. We'll have to wait and see...if we take Cousins(if he's on the board still)then I still think something might/could be in the works in the way of a much bigger trade that involves Sammy D.

3 or 4 years from now Kings Fans are going to look back on this trade as a terrible one after Spencer Hawes turns into a solid if not very good big man.

You don't trade 21 year old centers with the kind of skill and potential that Spencer has........yet somehow Petrie is doing it.

Bad Trade

love it!!! No impact on draft either IMHO. A Cousins would end up with an all-star caliber mentor for a year at least. Dalembert has only 1-yr left on his contract too!! Seems a real win-win to me.:D
Dalembert is not all-star caliber, and I don't want him mentoring any of our young bigs. No thanks.

3 or 4 years from now Kings Fans are going to look back on this trade as a terrible one after Spencer Hawes turns into a solid if not very good big man.

You don't trade 21 year old centers with the kind of skill and potential that Spencer has........yet somehow Petrie is doing it.

Bad Trade
They dumped 2 years of Nocioni's contract, I don't see how you can argue with results like that. Even if you like Hawes, you still have to give that props.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Great trade for us IMO but does this mean we don't draft cousins or another C?

Let me see! Hmmm! We had one legitimate center on our roster, so we needed another center. We traded the one center to Philly for........another center. So we now have one legitimate center on our roster. That must mean that we still need another center..

The bigger question would be how this trade affects Philly. Does this trade mean that they definitely take Turner because they feel they've covered thier center problem for the future?

Let me see! Hmmm! We had one legitimate center on our roster, so we needed another center. We traded the one center to Philly for........another center. So we now have one legitimate center on our roster. That must mean that we still need another center..

The bigger question would be how this trade affects Philly. Does this trade mean that they definitely take Turner because they feel they've covered thier center problem for the future?
This is only true if you considered Hawes to be a legitimate center.

Nice move. Sweeps two bad moves under the carpet and gets a low risk defensive big man. If I was a Phili fan, I would be perplexed a bit. Thankfully I am not.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I still don't see us taking WJ, because I still don't see him dropping to us. From all reports Minn loves him, and I don't see him dropping past #4.

IMO, this trade was done to unload Noc, who would have been a cancer next year, to acquire an expiring which gives us more flexibility at the trade deadline, or next summer, and to insure we will have a defensive minded big who will block shots and rebound the ball.

I love this move. Absolutely love it. But I don't think in any way, shape, or form, it means we would pass on Cousins if he's there at #5. Lets' not forget what Dalembert is. A 29 yr old expiring contract. Cousins is 10 yrs younger, and much more talented all around player. You don't pass on arguably the best center to enter the draft since Oden, because you acquired a 29 yr old on an expiring contract. But it does give us a frontcourt veteran. It gives us depth, assuming we pick either Cousins or Monroe.

However, I am interested in why Phi did this. Any chance they will take Cousins, and not Turner? Was this strictly to shed Dalemberts contract, or to free up playing time at the center position? This offseason just got a lot more interesting.

They must really like Hawes or something.

It doesn't indicate anything about who we're picking in the draft. Dalembert is an expiring contract more than anything else.
Maybe not on our part, but this may mean that Favors or Cousins is now going #2 instead of Turner since the 76ers need help up front. Which could affect who we pick