No longer live from Las Vegas:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I managed to make it through tuesdays games, and then I was done. I've been sick every since I got here, and it was getting worse. Couldn't have happened at a worse time, but it is what it is. Cruzdude was nice enough to end his stay, and get me back to San Diego to the vetreans hospital. After a couple of hours of sitting in the emergency room, I got to see a doctor. Turned out to be an intestinal infection, so probably a good thing I abborted the games.

So, after watching the third Kings game where McLemore finally gave hope to the masses, here are my thoughts. After the first two games, I said to both Cruzdude and Uncia03, that McLemore's shot didn't look the same as I remembered it at Kansas. I speculated that perhaps Jent was tinkering with it, and usually you take one step backwards before taking any steps forward when you make changes in a shot, or a golf swing. Then I heard that McLemore had done some expiermenting of his own during the summer, and as a result he was struggling getting comfortable again.

Long story short, his shot looked much better in game three. So hopefully he's found his stroke again. That said, he has a lot of work to do. If he has his stroke back, I can see him contributing early as a catch and shoot, and pick and pop player. To be a complete player though, he really needs to tighten up his ballhandling. I love his movement without the ball, and in person, his speed is amaziing. He's certainly a very willing defender, but has a lot to learn in that area. If he willing to put in the work, I can see him being a good defender. He's certainly athletic enough. So there's a lot to like, and a lot to be fixed. He made a couple of nice drives to the basket, but anyone could see that he's always on the edge of disastor. He finished a couple, and got calls on a couple. He led a fast break right in front of me, and I could almost see the wheels turning in his head when he saw two defenders slightly in front of him. He should have easily split them, but instead turned the ball over. He needs to spend the rest of the summer with the best ballhandling guru he can find.

Although McCallum didn't have his best game going in game three, I though he still played a respectable game. Once the Kings settled down, and stopped turning the ball over, ( they averaged one turnover a minute for the first eight minutes of the game), McCallum became more effective. Unfortunately no one other than Lockett could make a shot. Speaking of Lockett, I thought he's played very well everytime he was on the floor. He almost singlehandedly got the Kings back into the game in the first quarter. The other player I really liked was Drew Gordon. He took a hell of a beating out there getting hammered by Valanciunas elbows, one hitting him squarely in the face. Cost him a technical, but I don't blame him. The ref's should have stepped in earlier. By the way, Valanciunas looks like he weighs around 280 to me. He's one big dude. He left the game with a bloody nose with a couple of minutes left. Payback is a *****!

I found that its almost impossible to get a one on one interview, unless your able to stumble across a player or a coach and trap them for a moment or two. The orginized interviews would be redundit, since all the usual suspects are there getting the same interview. Anyway, I apologize to all for not being more on top of things, but its hard when you feel terrible. For anyone thats never gone to summer league, I highly recommend it. I do have more notes that I'll post a little later. Heading for a nap now!

Be safe, Baja. I hope your VA is at least as good as the one we have out here.

MacCallum did seem to struggle in game three, but the fundamentals are still sound. My sole complaint with him is that his passing isn't where it should be. He is late spotting open men and ignores open guys on his drives to the rim. Still, he was a steal at his draft position.

McLemore is what he is. I'm okay with having drafted a 3rd or 4th option in this year's draft. If he learns to play defense, he will have a 15 year career with that jumper.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Was actually a very saavy and sneaky game to play hooky. See? Being old and ahem, wise, like Baja does pay off sometimes. Send the whippersnappers to endure the 40pt blowout while you hang out back at the hotel drinking the little complimentary liquor bottles. :p

So sorry you are so sick. It was still nice to get a chance to chat with you. I hope you are starting to feel much better and are back in top form soon.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Was actually a very saavy and sneaky game to play hooky. See? Being old and ahem, wise, like Baja does pay off sometimes. Send the whippersnappers to endure the 40pt blowout while you hang out back at the hotel drinking the little complimentary liquor bottles. :p
I only wish! :D

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I thought I mention a couple of players that impressed me that wern't on the Kings team. Jeremy Tyler, formally of the Warriors, played very well in three games I watched. He hit his 15 to 18 foot jumper consistently, rebounded well, and played defense. Looked like a different player. He's a free agent I believe. The other is Chris Johnson, a 6'11" PF thats currently under contract for another year to the Timberwolves. He was one of the most impressive bigs there. He either affected or blocked most shots in the paint, and threw down some of the best dunks of the summer league. He also made some very nice passes. He didn't show much of a face up game, but did hit an occasional 12 footer.

My final thoughts on McLemore are that he needs to put in a lot of work, and I don't see him starting right away, based on my observations. Everything I've heard from Kansas is that he's a fast learner. I certainly hope so! The best thing for him, is to bring him along slowly, and I know thats not what the fans expect. Remember, its not his fault that expectations are probably higher than he can meet. He has the rest of the summer to work on his game, and I would hope that the Kings will do a lot of follow up, and connect him to some of the best training guru's in the NBA. He's an incredible athlete, and if he dedicates himself to the game, he can be very good, and maybe, special. Its all on him, and the Kings staff.

Another player that played very well in both games I saw, and a player we're all very familiar with is Jermaine Taylor. I wouldn't mind if the Kings invited him to training camp. He played good defense, and he shot the ball well. Right now, other than McLemore, Thornton is the only other true SG we have on the roster, unless you want to throw Salmons into that mix. Sorry, but I don't look at Jimmer as a SG. Tayler would give us good size at the position if he could make the team, which is a big if. For what its worth, I thought he played better than Dion Waiters. Of course Jeffery Taylor played lights out on both sides of the ball, but I don't see Charlotte parting with him.

One last player that impressed me, and then I'll end this and go back to my margarita, uhhh nap. Kent Bazemore who is playing for the Warriors. He gave McLemore fits with his defense, and shot the ball well himself. He's very athletic, which he would have to be to stay with McLemore. I haven't checked the Warriors real roster to see if he's under contract, but I don't believe he is. He was very impressive defensively!

Last edited: