No Kings in All Star game

And KATs defense is better?
Not at all, and Sabonis has actually taken a large leap on that end compared to last season. I'm seeing that defensive improvement with my own eyes, in terms of moving his feet, his verticality and avoiding foul trouble each and every night. He's no world beater, but, i love the fact that he can be this deep into his career and still find ways to add to his game.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I think fan votes are going to end up with egregious results no matter what. Especially when you consider guys like Austin Reaves getting votes
of course but if the fans want to play chaos with the most deserving rosters after they are set, let them.

Or limit the players in the voting pool to people in say the top 15 of any major stat category.

And I get why they allow every day voting and the triple-vote days, but one fan one vote would be a better system. Maybe one online vote and you can submit a ballot at each game you attend. That's it.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Wasn’t a huge NBA/pro sports fan (more of a college sports fan) but have always loved basketball and casually cheered on all MN Pro teams. The Wolves organization has self-sabotaged for so many years it was hard to get to into it. Felt like Jimmy rejuvenated the energy from fans and brought passion and a winning mentality to the organization after watching KAT pad stats and play losing basketball while collecting a huge paycheck.

They had a choice between Jimmy or KAT and Wiggins. They chose KAT and it was a mistake. You can’t build a winning team around him as your centerpiece.

The whole KAT situation has left a sour taste in my mouth towards the Wolves org. Feels like MN bball fans have been waiting for a reason to cheer for this org and the wolves screwed it up.

However, I love Ant and he has definitely brought excitement to the fanbase here. That guy can ball and the Wolves are very lucky to have him.

Keegan getting drafted gave me a reason to get into the NBA and now I’ve become a Kings fan—it is super easy to cheer for all of the players, coaches, I like the media like Deuce and Mo, Matt Barnes, etc.

Now I find myself watching the NBA any chance I get even if the kings aren’t playing.
while I agree that KAT as your center piece isn't going to advance into the Playoffs, I think you should of stayed loyal because they do have Edwards to build around still and that's promising moving forward. With that said, going from the Wolves to the Kings isn't really any different because they both have been irrelevant franchises since their existence other than a handful of Playoff appearances

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I would think the fact that the Lakers two All-Stars are 0-2 and Phoenix's two All-Stars are 1-2 (with that only win requiring a historic 22pt comeback in the last 6 minutes) against our Kings team with no All-Stars is pretty telling regarding the value of stats oriented sports-fandom in general. This current era is all about me-first stat hunting instead of team success. On paper KD and Booker and AD and Lebron are all having fantastic seasons. For fantasy basketball, that's an All-Star squad worthy of the name. For actual basketball winning used to matter.

I've heard complaints about the airport maybe the terminal upgrades alleviate some of the experience concerns but there is often an expectation that you can reliably transit from arena to hotel to airport even though the people that make those demands wouldn't be caught dead on public transit.

I just think any time a city pitches in to build a new arena for it's NBA franchise they should get the ASG. Like that should be the deal. Within 5 years. It's been almost 10, they owe us. Stern probably would have made it happen but we're stuck with POS Silver who is beholden to just about every other group under the sun before fans.
Yeah, IDK where you heard the complaints but as someone that has followed and researched the story over the years — I can tell you that it’s not something that was brought up in reputable media all that much.

SMF ain’t the grandest airport, but after the Billion+ upgrade in 2011, it surely isn’t a huge problem. Not only that, as someone that has traveled to many other NBA cities over the years (that have hosted all-star games) SMF isn’t the worst. Far from it.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Yeah, IDK where you heard the complaints but as someone that has followed and researched the story over the years — I can tell you that it’s not something that was brought up in reputable media all that much.

SMF ain’t the grandest airport, but after the Billion+ upgrade in 2011, it surely isn’t a huge problem. Not only that, as someone that has traveled to many other NBA cities over the years (that have hosted all-star games) SMF isn’t the worst. Far from it.
SMF Terminal B is one of my favorite airports/terminals. It is so easy to navigate, looks great inside, is bright and open, and has good dining options. The airport isn't the problem and I have never heard it discussed as being one regarding any kind of all-star game, etc. It seemed to be fine for when G1C was hosting NCAA basketball or other events.

I’ve never heard or read anything about the airport. Just the hotel capacity within a certain range of the arena.

With the major upgrade to terminal B about a dozen years ago, I wouldn’t suspect the airport to be an issue anymore, if it ever was.

Regardless, the NBA should be embarrassed by their all-star event, not only how awful it has become, but everything leading up to it — such as how the host site is selected and more importantly how the players are determined.

It’s all a sad joke. A mickey mouse event.
Look at the product the put on the floor and the refs easily the worst out of all the major sports also the only sport without a single rivalry

SMF Terminal B is one of my favorite airports/terminals. It is so easy to navigate, looks great inside, is bright and open, and has good dining options. The airport isn't the problem and I have never heard it discussed as being one regarding any kind of all-star game, etc. It seemed to be fine for when G1C was hosting NCAA basketball or other events.
Precisely why I first responded. I have much respect for pdxKingsFan, but honestly that‘s the first time I’ve ever heard or seen the airport mentioned — and I’ve read many articles and reports over the years touching upon this very topic.

Further, I agree with you wrt terminal B. FWIW, there were multiple news reports last year of another Billion dollar expansion project in the works, expanding parking, transportation, and other amenities. So it’s only going to get better.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Precisely why I first responded. I have much respect for pdxKingsFan, but honestly that‘s the first time I’ve ever heard or seen the airport mentioned — and I’ve read many articles and reports over the years touching upon this very topic.

Further, I agree with you wrt terminal B. FWIW, there were multiple news reports last year of another Billion dollar expansion project in the works, expanding parking, transportation, and other amenities. So it’s only going to get better.
Not to sidetrack the thread, but Terminal B was built to expand to 3 trams to different terminals (instead of just one). The other two would be on either side of the existing tram. They also left a lot of room for more baggage terminals and check-in areas. It was originally built with expansion in mind.

Also - fun fact: the tram isn't just there for ease of transportation from the terminal to the gates. It serves as a buffer so the security check in line doesn't get overwhelmed with passengers all at the same time. It limits the flow volume to keep the lines shorter (unless there is an issue at the security checkpoint itself).

Sacto will always be a small market. We have nothing to worry about. Just point to the score board.
The big city guys get accolades they don't deserve. Not likely to change.
Haliburton is the one that got away. HIghly acclaimed and well deserved.
Sabonis is a triple double point center. He does what ever you need.
Fox is elite.
We are lucky.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

I feel like you're talking about the airport itself and I'm talking about the airport location/accessibility. That's been a debate about SMF from the beginning of time.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I feel like you're talking about the airport itself and I'm talking about the airport location/accessibility. That's been a debate about SMF from the beginning of time.
Are there really issues with SMF's location? SMF is 10 miles and 11 minutes from G1C (and ARCO was closer!) In contrast, LAX is 16.6 miles and 24 minutes from the Crypt, LaGuardia is 8.5 miles and 25 minutes from MSG (JFK is 16 miles and 50 minutes!), Midway/O'Hare are 12/19 miles from the United Center and 25 minutes either way...and had to check one more for obvious reasons - PDX is 10 miles and 19 minutes from the Moda center.

Unless you're going to put a helipad on the top of the arena, I don't think there are going to be a whole lot of airports closer to their basketball arena than SMF.

The airport isn't and never was the issue. Any report in regards to that was just noise. Also, Sac area has a ton of private airports for private planes. McClellan, Sac Executive, Mather, Lincoln, just to name a few off the top of my head.

It's the hotels. Period. We probably need a couple thousand more (rooms) of higher-end hotel options near the arena. That is maybe 6-8 more hotels. I don't see it happening, because they will be empty most of the year.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Are there really issues with SMF's location? SMF is 10 miles and 11 minutes from G1C (and ARCO was closer!) In contrast, LAX is 16.6 miles and 24 minutes from the Crypt, LaGuardia is 8.5 miles and 25 minutes from MSG (JFK is 16 miles and 50 minutes!), Midway/O'Hare are 12/19 miles from the United Center and 25 minutes either way...and had to check one more for obvious reasons - PDX is 10 miles and 19 minutes from the Moda center.

Unless you're going to put a helipad on the top of the arena, I don't think there are going to be a whole lot of airports closer to their basketball arena than SMF.
PDX is far easier to get to via transit and while Portland traffic has gone to hell while I've lived here it's still nowhere as bad as the drive to SMF and there are multiple routes if something is wrong with the highway. So was Boston-Logan when I lived there - and the one time I went back after the Tunnel opened it was even better. I never bothered trying in LA. But LA lives in its own universe. New York I spent a few months working at JFK pre-9/11 and took the subway from my hotel in Queens every day, one of the easiest airports I've ever had to deal with even though the airport itself is a poop show.

I don't know, I've always heard complaints from people in my circle about SMF, the location was highly political and it also has fog issues which to be honest I don't know how much that may/may not impact things in All-Star game season, but it was just another complaint for what is generally a mild weather city. And over the last 4-5 years my mom won't even pick me up when I visit unless I get in before 6pm, and the ride share (which I have to admit, I have a severe avoidance to because several of my friends owned cabs and lost their livelihoods) is pretty expensive depending on where she was living at the time.

I don't have a bone to pick with SMF really, I still have a nostalgic coming home when I land there, but I think outside Sacramento the perception of it isn't great.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Was casually looking over stats today.

Absolutely blows my mind that the leading rebounder, who is half a rebound above everybody else, and second in the league triple doubles, is not in the all star game.

The league is a clown show.
I honestly don't understand how he wasn't like the first or second reserve named after they had the starters. It's absolutely ridiculous. Fox I understand why he'd be fighting for the last spot in a West stacked with guards but still both were all NBA.

Hopefully Sabonis being on that Netflix show in the near future will finally get people seeing what he does.