NFL 2023-2024 Thread

My (unbiased) Top 10 Cowboys observations (as a Cowboys fan, and in no particular order):

1. Jerry needs to sell the team.
2. Mike's a terrible coach.
3. Mike's a terrible coach.
4. Jerry needs to sell the team.
5. Jerry needs to sell the team.
6. Mike's a terrible coach.
7. Jerry needs to sell the team.
8. Mike's a terrible coach.
9. Jerry needs to sell the team.
10. Jerry needs to sell the team.

.... For the Cowboys, Need to forget it and start worrying about the Chargers,

Long ago in the 90s I hated the Cowboys but now fairly neutral about em - kinda like the Lakers. Agree on the coach.

Their win over the Jets was good. Some people dismiss it, but I think the Jets are a decent team and have a shot at a wild card, by season end

I give some credit to the coaching staff, but Purdy is a top NFL QB. A couple weeks ago some folks were saying top 12 or maybe number 10, but he's closer to top 5, and he seems to be improving a bit. Its like he's been a disciple of Tom Brady for years (but hasn't) - young Kung Fu master getting blitzed all the time on the playground. The 49ers are fortunate. Tickets are probably insane now, ah well. At this point, anything less than a Super Bowl win would be a disappointment honestly with this level of play. Nnly injuries stand in their way. Said this last week or 2, but now more than ever - If Shanahan is smarter, he should get out his 2nd and 3rd string ALOT more to dampen risk while checking out existing talent.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I give some credit to the coaching staff, but Purdy is a top NFL QB. A couple weeks ago some folks were saying top 12 or maybe number 10, but he's closer to top 5, and he seems to be improving a bit. Its like he's been a disciple of Tom Brady for years (but hasn't) - young Kung Fu master getting blitzed all the time on the playground. The 49ers are fortunate. Tickets are probably insane now, ah well. At this point, anything less than a Super Bowl win would be a disappointment honestly with this level of play. Nnly injuries stand in their way. Said this last week or 2, but now more than ever - If Shanahan is smarter, he should get out his 2nd and 3rd string ALOT more to dampen risk while checking out existing talent.
I agree with everything you said here, but the bit I bolded is one of those things that I think people are overlooking.

Yes, Purdy played 4 full years of college ball and was an older rookie, but the kid still isn't quite 24 and he has played just 14 regular season games so far. And last year he essentially got no meaningful reps until he was forced into action as a 7th round rookie. Even if you add in his two playoff games (I can't count the Eagles game given that he was hurt halfway through the 1st) Purdy hasn't even played a full season worth of games in the NFL.

Yes, he's absolutely going to improve. Like Brady, I expect him to get stronger and improve his deep ball. He's also going to continue to develop at all the little things. If he stays healthy, he still has room to grow. I can't think of a good quarterback who essentially stopped improving at 24.

Which is why all the comparisons to Jimmy G and other QBs are ridiculous. Brock came off the sidelines with ZERO regular season NFL experience and took command of this team. Yeah, he has weapons, and he has Shanahan. But it's not like Kyle was able to make a star out of Mullens, or Beathard. There's way too much discounting of Purdy based on the situation. He's the real deal. And he's absolutely going to get better.

I agree with everything you said here, but the bit I bolded is one of those things that I think people are overlooking.

Yes, Purdy played 4 full years of college ball and was an older rookie, but the kid still isn't quite 24 and he has played just 14 regular season games so far. And last year he essentially got no meaningful reps until he was forced into action as a 7th round rookie. Even if you add in his two playoff games (I can't count the Eagles game given that he was hurt halfway through the 1st) Purdy hasn't even played a full season worth of games in
Yes, he's absolutely going to improve. Like Brady, I expect him to get stronger and improve his deep ball. He's also going to continue to develop at all the little things. If he stays healthy, he still has room to grow. I can't think of a good quarterback who essentially stopped improving at 24.

Which is why all the comparisons to Jimmy G and other QBs are ridiculous. Brock came off the sidelines with ZERO regular season NFL experience and took command of this team. Yeah, he has weapons, and he has Shanahan. But it's not like Kyle was able to make a star out of Mullens, or Beathard. There's way too much discounting of Purdy based on the situation. He's the real deal. And he's absolutely gI oing to get better.
You can compare him to any QB generally but he's certainly better than Garrapolo - that was already evident early on with his scrambling ability.....we had hoped he'd be Garrapolo with evasiveness, but he's beyond that, I'd said it earlier, the game appears slower for him - he's like a young John Stockton in basketball. Alot of credit to the 49ers team, receivers coaching, line, and of course McCaffrey, yes that certianly does figure into it. But I think comparisons to Montana and Brady have merit. Yes, I dont think this its a fluke......Brock made his own luck during preseason last year - we saw he had some fire, and scrambling - and it was a great story - but didn't get a chance to see this phenomenal poise and accuracy that he has manifested. That's laser focus, desire, and talent.

Among everything else, I was happy to see Juice get his first TD of the season.

While I know it’s not necessarily his role, I think it’s backbreaking for the Niners to remind teams that, yes, their smashmouth 90s-era FB is capable of dump-off passes for TDs too.

A couple years ago in the Bucs/Chiefs Superbowl - a sports columnist had made the prediction the Bucs were gonna roll citing the Chiefs woeful O-Line....I wrote him back confident Mahomes and Chiefs would reign regardless of the Offensive Line problems - turns out he was right. QBs must be afforded an amount of time - ~ 3s. Go back sevearal years further in the AFC Championship game when the Broncos wiped a great Patriots team - Brady was completely underseige and got bounced, - same thing. Stafford's a pretty good QB, you saw it yestereday, the Rams line broke down and Eagles take it going away. Rams no points in the 2nd half. Stafford little to no time to throw.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can compare him to any QB generally but he's certainly better than Garrapolo - that was already evident early on with his scrambling ability.....we had hoped he'd be Garrapolo with evasiveness, but he's beyond that, I'd said it earlier, the game appears slower for him - he's like a young John Stockton in basketball. Alot of credit to the 49ers team, receivers coaching, line, and of course McCaffrey, yes that certianly does figure into it. But I think comparisons to Montana and Brady have merit. Yes, I dont think this its a fluke......Brock made his own luck during preseason last year - we saw he had some fire, and scrambling - and it was a great story - but didn't get a chance to see this phenomenal poise and accuracy that he has manifested. That's laser focus, desire, and talent.
Just his pre-snap reads and ability to quickly go through his progressions elevate him above Jimmy G. And that's before you add his ability to move in the pocket or scramble out of it to extend plays.

But to me the two biggest differences are that (1) he rarely makes a bad decision where Garrapolo was good for a few every game and (2) he doesn't take the open check down if he thinks he can hit a big shot. Just the willingness to throw it deep means the defense is less likely to congest that intermediate area or stack the box. That was the issue with Jimmy. He HAD to be quick and accurate with his throws because his overall QB style meant there was a lot of traffic where he wanted to throw the ball.

Just his pre-snap reads and ability to quickly go through his progressions elevate him above Jimmy G. And that's before you add his ability to move in the pocket or scramble out of it to extend plays.

But to me the two biggest differences are that (1) he rarely makes a bad decision where Garrapolo was good for a few every game and (2) he doesn't take the open check down if he thinks he can hit a big shot. Just the willingness to throw it deep means the defense is less likely to congest that intermediate area or stack the box. That was the issue with Jimmy. He HAD to be quick and accurate with his throws because his overall QB style meant there was a lot of traffic where he wanted to throw the ball.
Yes some good points, and to add - on Garrapolo being slow contributes to his happy-feet which adds to his presssured decision making. Purdy knows he can scramble if needed, but will take the sack over a bad throw interception. On the presnap an astute observation, Purdy has about 6 to 10s to size up his rvr routes to help pre-process what he might do. - he may do more cognitively at that time than your average QB

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Your hate runs to the bone.......
As far as guys on my own teams, he’s my most disliked player ever. Even above Marvin Bagley. It’s cathartic seeing him fail and seeing all Raiders fans posting the exact same stuff I’ve been screaming about for the past 3 seasons.

As far as guys on my own teams, he’s my most disliked player ever. Even above Marvin Bagley. It’s cathartic seeing him fail and seeing all Raiders fans posting the exact same stuff I’ve been screaming about for the past 3 seasons.
Yeah, Garrapolo was definitely holding the 49ers back - hes just a smidge above average. Wilts in big games and pressure. Block feet and scrambling are awful.