New Plan Could be Gamechanger for Sacramento Kings

Some hope?

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines...for-sacramento-kings-20110323,0,6232256.story

SACRAMENTO—
A game-changing alternative plan to keep the Kings in Sacramento may soon be unveiled. A move to Anaheim is no longer inevitable.
FOX40 has learned exclusively about an innovative new plan to solve the Kings' arena problems. A group of government and business leaders is discussing it and hopes to talk with Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof to go over it as early as Friday.
FOX40 Sports Director Jim Crandell told FOX40.com, "I know the specifics, but I cannot share the details yet, because it could jeopardize a very sensitive discussion that is about to take place."
Crandell did confirm that the alternative plan does include a funding source, and that, "...the money is in place."
The Maloofs have confirmed they are interested in continuing to discuss it, and by all counts, moving the team to Anaheim is not a done deal.

Lets hope Jim Crandall isn't joknig around like before. I was wondering if somebody in the business community would have something to offer.

I hope this isn't another prank by Jim Crandell. I don't honestly see how this could be legit though. If the money was there, this would've gotten built a long time ago.

I forget what Crandall did before?

It does seem a tad fishy though. The Maloofs have confirmed this.. ermm.. sounds strange.

At the very least, this situation has the maloofs attention .. Which means it may be taking them away from the Aneheim discussions, and hopefully they just run out of time with too many issues to figure out.

Whatever happens, this is obviously good news.

im pretty wary about getting my hopes up even a little at this point. But, if theres anyway that we can keep the kings in sacramento i would be ecstatic.

I feel like even if an arena was a sure thing the Maloofs would still want to bolt. A for sure arena would make it hard for the league to approve it though.
This was a point I made back at the all star break. The only game play Sacramento had was to throw a sure fire financed arena solution at the team. They would be pressured to stay by the NBA. Its still the only win-win end game for the team and the city.

Did anyone see the dumb guy on the news tonight pushing to boycott the game on april 1st vs denver and he has ahere they go campaign going on. Just dumb. And he called himelf a kings fan. Ya right.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Crandell keeps referring to it as an "alternative plan" which suggests to me that it may be outside the purview of the Taylor/ICON study. Not that I care one way or the other. The hope meter just shot up.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Color me unsurprised.

Luckenbill and Tsakapolis are builders who have money. Depends on what they want to do with their money and skills. Just an example and not inside information. Not everybody in the area is government as arena builders and funders do not have to be citizens of Sacramento. They can share the expense and the rewards just as bonds are not sold only to citizens of Sacto.

There are lots of negatives to going to Anaheim. Money talks and the expense of going to Anaheim is high. The money payback of going there is guaranteed on the very short term when whatever interest the area can muster is at its highest but not the long term . Advertising money is based on the number of viewers and listeners and not the number of people living in the area. Sacto, if this is going to happen, is a sure thing and Anaheim is not.

Anyway, whooppeeee!!! My heart is still beating.

I have to add that the rabid fan following is known by the country and what the fans have been doing to try to keep the team here demonstrates to the people paying the bills that there is still a lot of interest here. This is not a fleeting romance.

Last edited:
Crandell keeps referring to it as an "alternative plan" which suggests to me that it may be outside the purview of the Taylor/ICON study. Not that I care one way or the other. The hope meter just shot up.
Yeah I wonder what exactly that means. Maybe it's a Natomas located plan? The way KJ has been acting lately, it seems like he's not in this loop. And if he isn't, then it's not downtown.

I JUST S*** IN MY PANTS. This is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I just woke up my neighbors with my outbursts. Why the suspense? Damn it. What can the "innovative new plan be"? Who are the sources?? This is getting good. Come on SACRAMENTO!! Get that thing built!!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
This might be the last hoist up with one second on the shot clock, but it's the most interesting thing out in a sea of depressing news lately.
Miracles do happen.

There is no better time to apply the "We Believe" credo than now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah I wonder what exactly that means. Maybe it's a Natomas located plan? The way KJ has been acting lately, it seems like he's not in this loop. And if he isn't, then it's not downtown.
I have the feeling KJ would still have managed to hear about a Natomas plan forming under his nose though. West Sac or somewhere else outside of city limit (Folsom, Rancho, Elk Grove) however, could be a different story.