New Assistant GM of Stockton Kings!

Because the #1 attribute to look for in a cog of a billion dollar organization is passion. Amirite?
Setting aside the glaring nepotism, how precisely does work in the "Social Responsibility" department prepare one for an assistant general manager position, where responsibilities include "player evaluations and development" and "strategy"?

I think it's excellent when organizations create positions devoted to fostering greater social responsibility, particularly when they're embedded in large and diverse communities. But that's a world away from the day-to-day responsibilities of general management, even in an assistant role.

Setting aside the glaring nepotism, how precisely does work in the "Social Responsibility" department prepare one for an assistant general manager position, where responsibilities include "player evaluations and development" and "strategy"?

I think it's excellent when organizations create positions devoted to fostering greater social responsibility, particularly when they're embedded in large and diverse communities. But that's a world away from the day-to-day responsibilities of general management, even in an assistant role.
Why not hire a woman who's been in an NBA FO for awhile and has the qualifications for the position? And then just let Anjali work under her and learn the position? Still nepotism, but at least it's not throwing your daughter into a fairly significant position of power with 0 experience. That'd actually be a cool story. Prop up a deserving woman exec around the league and your daughter gets to learn the ropes and grow into the position.

Instead... nope. KANGZ as usual.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
She has to bring back that Arsenault guy from years back and implement the basket hanging strategy.

I mean… it probably won’t work, but nothing we have done over the last 16 years has so it’s totally worth a shot!

Honestly, she's with Stockton as an assistant. Jeanie was pretty successful as a nepotism hire.
This isn't really newsworthy. It's kinda what billionaires do for their kids that can't make it on their own.
There's obviously precedent. Nepotism is hardly a new phenomenon in a billionaire's club like the NBA. But until Vivek illustrates his competence as an owner, and displays a modicum of self-awareness, his credibility will remain in question, and he's going to catch heat for decisions like this, even if they're small offenses in the grand scheme of things. For me, it's simple: maybe sort out a few things with the franchise you've been grossly mismanaging before you start handing out important jobs to your unqualified children? This franchise is not the Jerry Buss-owned Lakers, after all, nor does it have anything close to the kind of reputation that can just slag off the criticisms that have been consistently leveled at the Kings since Vivek bought the controlling stake in the team. You're right; it's really a non-story. But I think most fans are justifiably fed up with constantly having their worst suspicions of Vivek confirmed.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
There's obviously precedent. Nepotism is hardly a new phenomenon in a billionaire's club like the NBA. But until Vivek illustrates his competence as an owner, and displays a modicum of self-awareness, his credibility will remain in question, and he's going to catch heat for decisions like this, even if they're small offenses in the grand scheme of things. For me, it's simple: maybe sort out a few things with the franchise you've been grossly mismanaging before you start handing out important jobs to your unqualified children? This franchise is not the Jerry Buss-owned Lakers, after all, nor does it have anything close to the kind of reputation that can just slag off the criticisms that have been consistently leveled at the Kings since Vivek bought the controlling stake. You're right; it's really a non-story. But I think most fans are justifiably fed up with constantly having their worst suspicions of Vivek confirmed.
It's a pretty bad look with the Monte story yesterday more than anything. Should have been resolved first before going public with this.

Vivek's next hire should be a PR team.

There's obviously precedent. Nepotism is hardly a new phenomenon in a billionaire's club like the NBA. But until Vivek illustrates his competence as an owner, and displays a modicum of self-awareness, his credibility will remain in question, and he's going to catch heat for decisions like this, even if they're small offenses in the grand scheme of things. For me, it's simple: maybe sort out a few things with the franchise you've been grossly mismanaging before you start handing out important jobs to your unqualified children? This franchise is not the Jerry Buss-owned Lakers, after all, nor does it have anything close to the kind of reputation that can just slag off the criticisms that have been consistently leveled at the Kings since Vivek bought the controlling stake in the team. You're right; it's really a non-story. But I think most fans are justifiably fed up with constantly having their worst suspicions of Vivek confirmed.
Yeah if we have a Warriors like run over the next 8 years or just straight up the Buss Lakers... no one will care.

16 year playoff drought Kings? Yeah, fans aren't going to stand for bad organizational hires.