NBA fines Mobley for obscene gesture

Here's the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2046121&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

I didn't see this gesture as it was after the game, but from what I've read in BartKing's thread, the fine was well-deserved. Maybe he'll be pumped up for the next game. Hopefully. BartKing, I hope you don't mind me posting an excerpt from your thread, but I found it hilarious:

Edit: Now that I've actually read the article, it wasn't after the game. I know EXACTLY which play it was now. haha. And all this time, I thought he was pouring the Haterade on Ray Allen. But once again, PLAY WITH THAT FIRE FOR 48 MINUTES MOBLEY!!

Bartking said:
In the fourth, Mobley was yelling at some fans close to me...I couldn't hear what they were saying but they were probably asking him where Pedja's injury was, cuz he indicated where it was. :)

Last edited:
PT Cruiser 9ROC said:
Here's the article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2046121&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

I didn't see this gesture as it was after the game, but from what I've read in BartKing's thread, the fine was well-deserved. Maybe he'll be pumped up for the next game. Hopefully. BartKing, I hope you don't mind me posting an excerpt from your thread, but I found it hilarious:

Edit: Now that I've actually read the article, it wasn't after the game. I know EXACTLY which play it was now. haha. And all this time, I thought he was pouring the Haterade on Ray Allen. But once again, PLAY WITH THAT FIRE FOR 48 MINUTES MOBLEY!!
Fines don't mean that much to millionaire players, as long as he doesn't get suspended for anything (Anthony Peeler). Hopefully the Cat be good for the entire game.

I really think that the Sonics would be finished if Bibby, Cat, and Peja all had a good to great game, but what are the odds of that happening?

^it hasn't happened yet...there is probably a better chance that'll you'll get struck by ligtning while standing on your head in a pair of speedos than their is for the BIG 3 to be all hitting on the same night...but lets hope that ^ that isn't true :)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Team Dime said:
I really think that the Sonics would be finished if Bibby, Cat, and Peja all had a good to great game, but what are the odds of that happening?
It could happen. But we'd probably lose if all their main guns were hot too. Obviously if one team plays its A game and the other doesn't, the team playing at the top of its game is probably the winner.

But I'm more concerned with the Sonics rebounding -- all things being equal we should have more offensive firepower than Seattle, but th x factor for the Sonics all year has been their boardwork. They're among the very best in the league, and we've been just about the worst. If we can contain them on the glass, we've proabbly got the guns to simply outscore them. But if they are getting two or three shots every other possession, we're in a lot of trouble. Thinkn the game may be won or lost inside almost regardless of what the perimeter scorers do.

Bricklayer said:
It could happen. But we'd probably lose if all their main guns were hot too. Obviously if one team plays its A game and the other doesn't, the team playing at the top of its game is probably the winner.

But I'm more concerned with the Sonics rebounding -- all things being equal we should have more offensive firepower than Seattle, but th x factor for the Sonics all year has been their boardwork. They're among the very best in the league, and we've been just about the worst. If we can contain them on the glass, we've proabbly got the guns to simply outscore them. But if they are getting two or three shots every other possession, we're in a lot of trouble. Thinkn the game may be won or lost inside almost regardless of what the perimeter scorers do.
Good point; that's a major reason why the Pistons beat the Lakers in last years Finals. It doesn't matter if you shoot 35% when you get 3 or 4 tries every possesion (eventually you're going to score).

The Kings are a weak rebounding team, but the way Seattle got second chances in the first half was pathetic. There is ways to somewhat avoid deficiencies or at last try to...... one way would be to BOX OUT!!! Why is it so hard for NBA players to do this simple fundamental? I mind as much if the Kings get beat as long as I see the effort and to me it's a lack of effort when I see guys just standing there instead of locating someone and putting a body into them!

Mobley got really fired up after that confrontation. Maybe I will pose as a Sonics fan during Game 2 and try to get him upset a little earlier!

iheartBrad said:
^Do the same thing to Mike...usually he has his best performances after getting heckled a bit...heh
And we also haven't seen the Crab Dance in quite a while. All the more reason to throw a tomato at him with a Shawn Kemp jersey on. Well, just a baby tomato... :eek:

What is Cutino Trying to Prove ???

Should be working on those COLD STARTS. He should've gotten fired-up at the beginning of the game rather then near the end of the game and after the game was over.

Regardless ...

The fan got a "rise out of him" and the NBA put a "fine" on him.

He's also a representative of the Sacramento King's.

If that is what he did .... it's a shame. He let a freakin' fan that gets his jollies out by yelling obscenities and maybe making hand'gestures, who knows what ... GET TO HIM.

Shut the fan up by making your shots and kickin' some Sonic a$$ on the court.

SacKingsFX said:
what exactly did cat do?
He apparently showed a Seattle heckler where Peja had recently been injured. BartKing said so.

Mobley may have also told the obnoxious fan to do something of questionable legality in several southern states.:cool:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Folsom Al said:

If that is what he did .... it's a shame. He let a freakin' fan that gets his jollies out by yelling obscenities and maybe making hand'gestures, who knows what ... GET TO HIM.

Agreed. I know the "fans" can be jerks, but that is why you are paid the big $$$ - keep your mouth shut when it comes to fans and just play ball. It is a behavior code that all players should know not to cross. If no players did, I think the fans would stop doing it if it wasn't effective anymore....

Maybe the Kings should start Evans at the 2 for the first 3 quarters and send Mobley in for the 4th. Mobely doesn't start playing until the 4th quarter anyway.

this is very funny, the fans were annoying me quite a bit.
i know it's the playoffs and arco would do the same to the sonics when they come to our turf in several days, but i was so annoyed by the fans when i watched the game.

i know i am biased.

Folsom Al said:

Exactly.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't care if Cat made a questionable gesture to a fan. At least it showed he was awake.

Avery Johnson also got fined $10,000 for not leaving the court in a timely manner.

Much ado about nothing, IMHO.

You Surprise Me VF ...

I've got kids (they go to the games with me), there's plenty of kids their, and heck you don't have to be a kid to be offended by that (me, myself and I - I wouldn't be offended) ... but, if he truly did grab his crotch and yell something out ... personally, I think it's in bad taste .... family event and for everybody to see/hear.

In the heat of the moment, anything can happen and be said.

But, hey ... it happened ... he admits he did it .... he says it was all done in a joking way with the fan (so he says) .... he's moving on.

Still a Cutino fan ...

I Guess That Makes Me ...

An old fart ....

Actually, that's not true.

I go to the comedy clubs and they get pretty raunchy .... but, in that environment, it's acceptable ... well, they're gonna do it and it's a part of their act.

In mixed company ... I'm an old fart !!!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Folsom Al said:
I've got kids (they go to the games with me), there's plenty of kids their, and heck you don't have to be a kid to be offended by that (me, myself and I - I wouldn't be offended) ... but, if he truly did grab his crotch and yell something out ... personally, I think it's in bad taste .... family event and for everybody to see/hear.

In the heat of the moment, anything can happen and be said.

But, hey ... it happened ... he admits he did it .... he says it was all done in a joking way with the fan (so he says) .... he's moving on.

Still a Cutino fan ...
I used to buy into the old "family event" stuff, too... but nowadays the FANS in the stands scream obscenities and make gestures that are much, much, much worse than anything the athletes do on the court. As far as Cat goes, the majority of kids most likely didn't see it and, if they did, they either didn't know what it meant OR they've seen it before.

Was it the right thing to do? No. Is any kid going to be warped for life because of it? No. Is it much ado about something pretty trivial? IMHO, yep.

Bottom line for me has nothing to do with kids or people being offended, because - quite frankly - I think we're turning into a nation of whiners who are entirely TOO EASILY offended by something or another.

Who knows what the jerk in the stands had been yelling all night. If Cat made an inappropriate gesture and was fined for it, I think that's the end of it.