NBA Draft to become a two-day event?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Here's an Athletic article with a tiny tiny bit more detail for those who subscribe:
https://theathletic.com/5044569/2023/11/08/nba-draft-format-days-2024/

Sounds as if NBA teams want more time between picks, especially in the second round, as wheeling and dealing becomes more popular.

If there were to be any bright side to this at all, it might be that ESPN would be forced to actually *cover* the second round instead of completely ignoring it like they do now. But I do wonder what stretching this out will do to the overall enjoyment of watching the draft.

Sounds like we'll get a 3-hr long 1st round draft event to call 30 names and play 10000 commercials.

I don't really know if it's worth watching a 2nd round draft day coverage. Most of those guys unfortunately don't stick in the league. Before the NBA started doing their 2-way contracts, some of them would never even get to be listed on an NBA roster.

I recently watched a Wendhurst(sp?) video on why I should care about the ingame tournament. He just went on and on about markering and trying to get more watches during football season.

None of it was actually about why a casual fan would actually want to, other than WE ARE HAVING A TORUNAMWNT YOU SHOULD WATCH(THE COMMERCIALS) BECAUSE WE ARE PROVIDING IT FOR YOU.

Seems similar. I dont really watch the draft and making it longer wont affect that. I get what I need from the draft here, seeing people with better takes comment.

If the heads would like more time to wheel and deal have at it.

I’m in favor of it. The nba is bursting at the seams with talent and the second round will be a good place to find role players. I want to hear analysis of each player and I don’t want Taco Bell making any selections.

The NBA is poised for major major growth over the next 10 years. Huge global reach, better long term player health prospects than the other major sports and thr league most intertwined with youth culture.