[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (FEB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yet to be determined, I guess...??? :p:p:p
If you ask me they have done a horrific job of any kind of roster balancing, its like every move they make is to fill a position they already had covered. I think Nate is a bit of a low ceiling coach for a playoff level squad, but between roster construction and a certain diva PG and them just jacking Collins around year after year after year, he is like maybe 5th on list of things that need attention with that team.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
and the honeymoon phase has officially ended in the ATL. This is the type of career coach Nate has had, good but never good enough and he will find work again for a young team trying to become good I'd think. Although they should of at least waited until the conclusion of the season I think, perhaps they think they can salvage the second half of the season?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I guess that will remain a mystery until he gets another head coaching gig. On one hand a career "pretty good" coach pushed a team he was struggling with to the ECF (with a whole heaping help of good luck) on the other hand we saw the team's management continue to make questionable move after questionable move with the new coach who quickly regressed back to the mean.

I don't think there is any clear takeaway other than I'm glad we hired Wilcox and not whoever is making all these boneheaded moves for ATL.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I hope they don't poach Jordi. I know we'll eventually lose him but if he goes at this juncture of the season I'd want draft compensation and I don't think ATL can do that.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Lol at Atlanta. They should have hired a middle manager for an GM instead of making all of the terrible free agent signings like Bogdanovich. Trae Young and Bogie are coach killers

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I still hope they don't poach Jordi but thinking about it I'm guessing if they did hire him we'd ask for our pick back.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Please Atlanta, hire Quin Snyder or any other coach than Jordy. For selfish reasons, id like Jordy to stay here thru the year but for his reasons, id like him to go to an organization that has it together.

They won't allow interviews of assistant coaches during the year.
Is this an actual rule/policy in the NBA, though? I've never heard of this being implemented in the NBA. I know, however, that it exists in the NFL...

They can't hire an assistant until after his/her team's season ends, but I don't think there's a similar rule for interviewing. I think they can interview/talk to an assistant coach. They just can't officially offer a contract and hire them until after the season concludes.

I might be mistaken here, and will gladly allow a more knowledgeable individual to correct me...:):):)

Is this an actual rule/policy in the NBA, though? I've never heard of this being implemented in the NBA. I know, however, that it exists in the NFL...

They can't hire an assistant until after his/her team's season ends, but I don't think there's a similar rule for interviewing. I think they can interview/talk to an assistant coach. They just can't officially offer a contract and hire them until after the season concludes.

I might be mistaken here, and will gladly allow a more knowledgeable individual to correct me...:):):)
They have to get permission from the team to talk to them.

They have to get permission from the team to talk to them.
Right, which means that they can talk to them as long as they get permission. Which is vastly different than saying that they can't talk to them during the year.

I was just pointing out that your original comment was/is not necessarily true, as they can talk to them during the year as long as they get permission from the assistant's current team (if applicable).

Right, which means that they can talk to them as long as they get permission. Which is vastly different than saying that they can't talk to them during the year.

I was just pointing out that your original comment was/is not necessarily true, as they can talk to them during the year as long as they get permission from the assistant's current team (if applicable).
But it would be bad form. It looks bad on the team and the assistant to do it in the middle of the season. It's common in the playoffs when teams have multiple days off.

But it would be bad form. It looks bad on the team and the assistant to do it in the middle of the season. It's common in the playoffs when teams have multiple days off.
To me, it's all situational. If the team is right there in the postseason race, then I agree that it would be best to wait, but if the team is a bottom-feeder, with no chance of making it past game 82, then I don't think it would necessarily hurt to at least reach out and ask for permission.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It's definitely bad form, but a team can ask and it would probably also be looked upon poorly to refuse an opportunity. It would probably also be perceived poorly for your top assistant to be eyeing a team, so it's just bad all around.

Honestly ATL should have just finished the season out or had an interim plan in place. If they are really looking at a long term hire with 1/4 of the season to go they are dumber than we think they are. Or they can chase Snyder or Udoka or whomever is currently not coaching. Not sure why any good coach waiting for the right opportunity would leap at ATL. Maybe they can get SVG?

To me, it's all situational. If the team is right there in the postseason race, then I agree that it would be best to wait, but if the team is a bottom-feeder, with no chance of making it past game 82, then I don't think it would necessarily hurt to at least reach out and ask for permission.
Assistants on bad teams don't get interviews only the ones in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.