Napear v. Martin (merged)

Should Grant Napear be fired by the Kings?

• Total voters
I find Grant really annoying on his radio show, but for the Kings games he is OK. I love JR, he cracks me up. I'm always surprised to hear people don't like him. He always manages to sound like he knows what he's talking about.

Is it possible that he is reflecting the Maloof's opinions as well when he talks about a player not playing through injury?

You people need to wake up. How many play-by-play announcers give opinions when doing a game? That's not their job when doing play-by-play. Grant has two different jobs and thank god he's not afraid to call it like it is. The kings were soft last year and that included Kmart. Kmart needs to relax and should be lucky he's not playing in a bigger city. He'd get killed. How about realizing the fact that what Grant said is his opinion. All he said was play if you can unless it's going to result in further injury. What's wrong with that? I totally agree with him. Kings fans need to relax. When Kevin misses a shot at the end of a game the fans blast him and now Grant can't make an opinion regarding him. Double standard I'd say!

If he was reflecting the Maloof's opinions he'd probally be talking about skateboarding on his show. I can't imagine the Maloof's would ever telll Grant what to say. Maybe on TV, but not radio.

Entity

Hall of Famer
this is interesting. Because last night when Martin came over with Jerry and Grant. i thought Martin didn't have his normal demeanor. Now knowing that Grant had said that on his radio show I understand. it would have been cool had Martin called him out during the broadcast.

If martin was that upset with Napier he wouldn't of done the interview. I was watching closely and he said I love you guys and was looking at Grant a lot during the interview. Why would he look at him if he was mad at him? Kmart didn't have to do interview I would imagine so obviously ir's not that big of a deal to him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If martin was that upset with Napier he wouldn't of done the interview. I was watching closely and he said I love you guys and was looking at Grant a lot during the interview. Why would he look at him if he was mad at him? Kmart didn't have to do interview I would imagine so obviously ir's not that big of a deal to him.
Kevin Martin is a professional. He did the interview with Grant and Jerry because it's part of his job to be available for those kinds of tasks. He's not going to make his feelings public one way or the other.

Sorry, but you don't have a clue, dude. Why would he look at him if he was mad at him? Offhand, my first response would be, "Because he's not 7?"

The whole situation appears to be resolved for now because Martin has a lot more class than Napear ever dreamt of having.

Kevin Martin is a professional. He did the interview with Grant and Jerry because it's part of his job to be available for those kinds of tasks. He's not going to make his feelings public one way or the other.

Sorry, but you don't have a clue, dude. Why would he look at him if he was mad at him? Offhand, my first response would be, "Because he's not 7?"

The whole situation appears to be resolved for now because Martin has a lot more class than Napear ever dreamt of having.
Sorry but I just feel a need to take a dump on LeBron James at the moment, who compared to Martin would probably refuse to talk to the media. You know, because he's a winner and all that...

Reading comprehension is fundamental to being a successful poster on an active message board. If you had bothered to read the comments BEFORE posting yours, you might see it's not about him "not being a homer."

But of course, then you wouldn't have been able to use the rolling eyes emoticon.
There are people saying they dont like him because he criticizes the team! So what do you want him to do sit and sugar coat everything E Muss style. Thats being a homer!. And sorry but my life dream isnt to be a successful poster on a active message board, I know im weird right :rolleyes: I hope you appreciated that eye rolling emoticon because it was all for you.

Look again. The guy came here, posted a fly-by sarcastic comment and left. He pretty much insulted everyone who has actually made a cogent comment in the thread. Sorry, but I'm gonna sift out the chaff from the grain any chance I can.
So I have to write a three paragraph opinion for it to matter? :|

IMO too many of you want a kiss arse cheerleader. A guy that sits there and praises the team for everything they do. i cant stand that crap. Napier is paid by the radio station to give his opinions, and he does it.

IMO he has never been unfair, and even the article in which they quoted him as slamming Martin wasnt even accurate.

I listened to that show, and he wasnt saying people should call in and start slamming Martin about not playing before he sat out. He was saying basically... Look, if you want to criticize KM for not playing, dont do it now. If he doesnt play tonight and THEN you want to call in and criticize him, then fine, but at least wait and see what happens.

If he criticizes players or not, who cares. Boo hoo hoo, he hurt little Bobby's feelings, boo hoo hoo. Fire him now, he is the reason the Kings stink.

far too much political correctness BS in this world. A player or person cant say a word now without having to immediately apologize to the fans, his teamates, his coaches, his wife, his family, his third grade teacher, the nurse that gave him his immunizations when he was 4, and on and on. makes me sick.

Look at the Falcons player that threw a punch in the Redskins game. Crap happen, football is controlled violence played full of emotion. Sometimes sh.. happens, but no need to apologize to the entire world for playing agame and losing a little control.

Last edited:
"put it in the bucket and send him to the liiine"
"Heee's got the tripple"
"If you don't like that you dont like NBA basketball"

Honestly I agree with on Martin being "GUTLESS". Grant was here before Martin as he will be after #23

It's not so much what he says as the fact that he says DIFFERENT things about the same situation depending upon whether he's on the TV broadcast or on KHTK. That's the main problem. He acts all friendly with the members of the team, even traveling with them on the plane to away games as part of the Kings broadcast team. Then, when he gets home, he turns on them at the drop of a hat when he's being the KHTK radio commentator.

He's being paid to do one thing by the Maloofs and being paid to do a sometimes opposite thing by KHTK.

One or the other? No problem. Both and once again he can't keep from stepping over the line.

He's alienated several members of the team past and present over this crap. You'd think he'd learn or at least be more honest with them in person.

VF21,

You say he says one thing on TV and then the opposite on his show. Give me a specific example with DIRECT QUOTES. Until I see some EXACT quotes on his ability to speak out of both sides of his mouth.

I do listen to his show (not daily) and watch the games and I cant see him doing what you say,

He has a job to do on TV. He has to smile big and ask soft questions in a way to promote the Kings. Doing anything else would result in him not having a job with the Kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
"put it in the bucket and send him to the liiine"
"Heee's got the tripple"
"If you don't like that you dont like NBA basketball"

Honestly I agree with on Martin being "GUTLESS". Grant was here before Martin as he will be after #23
That's really a pretty irrelevant statement right there. A commentator will usually outlast a player.

Again, a lot of you just aren't getting the point. It's not what Napear says so much as the fact that he will say two different things about the same event depending upon his venue. If he's the commentator interviewing the player, it's all sunshine and lollipops. But if he's the radio talk show host commenting ABOUT the player, it's sometimes a different take on the same event.

If he wants to be Jim Rome, no problem. I've actually laughed out loud at some of his stuff and how he baits his listeners. If he wants to be the loyal party man traveling with the team and doing the PBP of the games, also no problem. He does it better than a lot of others in the league - and this is from someone who is no Napear fan by any remote stretch of the imagination.

The problem, I'll try and state in slightly different terms, is that those two jobs do not complement each other. What it does is create situations where he'll be playing both sides of the "point, counterpoint" argument and that just doesn't work...ever.

If he's the commentator interviewing the player, it's all sunshine and lollipops. But if he's the radio talk show host commenting ABOUT the player, it's sometimes a different take on the same event.

Im still waiting for some SPECIFIC EXAMPLES with DIRECT QUOTES to back up what you claim Napier does.

Im not saying you are wrong, i just want to see specific examples for myself.

Thanks

I don't like either one of them. I watched the game the other night on the Warriors station, much more enjoyable. I'm tired of corny catchphrases and nick names.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF21,

You say he says one thing on TV and then the opposite on his show. Give me a specific example with DIRECT QUOTES. Until I see some EXACT quotes on his ability to speak out of both sides of his mouth.

I do listen to his show (not daily) and watch the games and I cant see him doing what you say,

He has a job to do on TV. He has to smile big and ask soft questions in a way to promote the Kings. Doing anything else would result in him not having a job with the Kings.
I'm not saying he does it every day. What I'm saying is that he's done it before. He did it with Bobby Jackson, he did it with Chris Webber and now he's doing it with Kevin Martin. I'm not the only one to have said this.

I'll be totally honest. I'm not that interested in Napear to go back and try and find "DIRECT QUOTES" ... If you'd like to take the time, feel free to do so. The comments are actually here somewhere in our various threads, as it's not the first time this has been discussed.

I've said what I have to say about it. If you don't see the incongruity in what he's doing, there's nothing I can do that will convince you.

I'll ask you one question, though...Can you name me another team PBP guy who also has a confrontational talk show on the local radio station? I'm not saying there is or isn't one; I don't know.

Let's see if I can put it one more way...

Let's say I take a job with Pepsi. I happen to like Pepsi and it's a great job. I'm happy to talk about Pepsi and how great it is.

For whatever reason, I get another job with a company that analyzes and comments on all kinds of foods and beverages. I host a talk show and occasionally people call in to ask about various beverages. Pepsi comes up and I'm uber-critical of Pepsi, saying that it's just not a real thirst quencher, it doesn't offer enough variety, etc.

Isn't there a conflict of interest in there somewhere? Or, because they're both "just jobs" is it okay for me to talk out of both sides of my mouth?

I'd like to think there was still a certain amount of integrity involved in people saying what they mean and believing what they say. But then, of course, I'd also like to think that most athletes play for love of the game just as much as for the $$$.

Thats what i figured.
You make the claim, but dont care to take the time to give credence to what you say.

others have said the same thing as well; so that makes it so??

Integrity? Back stabbing? The man comes out on the radio and says what he says and then gets on a plane with all of those individuals. Im pretty sure id call that guts to the 9th degree.

You think he is worried about that? Obviously not, so id say he has both guts and integrity.

A

AriesMar27

Sorry but I just feel a need to take a dump on LeBron James at the moment, who compared to Martin would probably refuse to talk to the media. You know, because he's a winner and all that...

hey... dont take shots at lebron just because martin is frail and weak. i like martin but damn.... maybe he just doesnt have the testicular fortitude to speak his mind. if lebron doesnt want to talk to the media then thats his choice, he makes enough money where any fines he might get arent that big of a deal.

lebron's my ni... he's cool people.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Thats what i figured.
You make the claim, but dont care to take the time to give credence to what you say.

Integrity? Back stabbing? The man comes out on the radio and says what he says and then gets on a plane with all of those individuals. Im pretty sure id call that guts to the 9th degree.

You think he is worried about that? Obviously not, so id say he has both guts and integrity.
And, to be generous, I would just say you are ignorant on the topic.

Have you listened to Grant in both capcaities for any length of time? I have - for at least 10 years. And VF21 is absolutely correct.

And where exactly would one go to find "DIRECT QUOTES" of radio shows that played years ago? Where would you find them for old Kings broadcasts? And how would you find any specific ones you would be looking for? You know it isn't possible (or if it is, would require Herculean efforts to assemble the info), so knock it off.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thats what i figured.

Each of us is entitled to our own opinions. Yours is obviously different from mine. I'm not sure what you're expecting out of this exchange so I'll just take a stab in the dark...

Oh, you're right reid1boys. Grant Napear is a true pillar of guts and integrity. I'm so embarrassed that I couldn't see it before. Obviously he has to be - getting on the same plane with a bunch of professional athletes is a dangerous situation at the best of times. After all, we've heard of so many situations where frustrated athletes have physically gone after the people who degraded them.

That's not it? Oh sorry...

Do you really think any athlete with an ounce of brains would risk a fine and suspension by doing anything but acting like the professionals they're paid to be in cases they have to deal with every day?

That's like when Mike Bibby and Chris Webber were on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and he asked them about the officiating in game 6. They both looked at him and said they couldn't reply because of league rules and they didn't want to have to pay a fine.

Interestingly enough, it was the actor James Garner, also on the show, who defended the Kings and called game 6 the most horribly officiated game in the history of sports.

Now, since Webber and Bibby didn't agree, does that mean they didn't share the feeling? Or did it mean they knew nothing good could come of them airing that particular feeling on national TV?

I've pointed you in the direction of where the evidence exists to substantiate my comments. Look through the archives and you'll find the discussions about Bobby Jackson and how Grant publicly called him out on his radio show for faking an injury and not showing heart. It's there. I remember it vividly and don't have to prove it to anyone.

You like Grant. That's cool. Most of us have had an interesting debate about this without it turning quite so confrontational as what you want to do.

Hey, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you. Go ahead and whiz on your leg. I'm moving on.

Last edited: