Monk feared to have sprained MCL (Update: out 4-6 weeks)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
He won‘t and shouldn’t start here but the interview I saw was that he was focused on 6MOY but didn’t see that as his permanent spot. But there is almost no universe on a Fox-Keegan-Domas centered team where he isn’t the 6th man.
And in the universes where he does start, the Kings never become title contenders, anyway.

This is just awful for everyone involved.

Does Mason Jones get converted? Do we rely on Colby who has not logged many minutes? Does Jordan get some run?

Question is who will be monk's replacement if he doesn't come back? He's basically the bench and our only other play creator who could attack/dribble penetrate aside from fox. I know we found something in Ellis, but he's not the offensive punch/creator that monk is. Huerter has been consistently inconsistent and is kind of one dimensional, so I'm not sure he'll be the answer either. Are there any other freeagents that the Kings can sign if not monk?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Question is who will be monk's replacement if he doesn't come back? He's basically the bench and our only other play creator who could attack/dribble penetrate aside from fox. I know we found something in Ellis, but he's not the offensive punch/creator that monk is. Huerter has been consistently inconsistent and is kind of one dimensional, so I'm not sure he'll be the answer either. Are there any other freeagents that the Kings can sign if not monk?
More importantly, I'm not convinced that Huerter's game translates well to coming off the bench. It certainly should, in theory, but Huerter appears to be one of those rhythm players who needs to start in order to get going.

More importantly, I'm not convinced that Huerter's game translates well to coming off the bench. It certainly should, in theory, but Huerter appears to be one of those rhythm players who needs to start in order to get going.
TBH, Huerter needs to man up and embrace whatever role he is given. He’s not a superstar and he needs to run with whatever role the teams gives him next season.

What does "tank" mean in this context? The Kings have already clinched a winning record: even if they lose out, they'll finish 42-40. They literally can't finish worse than the 11th seed in the west, if they tried.

EDIT - I can't count to 82..
Not suck. The Kings have played roughly .56 win percentage ball since January. Most of the true playoff contention ball was played prior to January for this team. If they can maintain that recent win percentage it's a pretty good sign they've survived the loss to an extent.

Any talk of "tanking" or giving up doesn't make any sense to me
Definitely Kings should not be tanking at this point, but being in the play-in against the “darling of the NBA” super teams of Phoenix, Lakers and Warriors, it’s going to be 5 on 8 in those 2 play-in games.

It would be hard seeing a Monk-less Kings team overcoming those odds to make the playoffs. :confused:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
We're also assuming Monte is even willing to pay a bench player 18 million a season even though Monk individually is clearly worth that. The issue for Monte is his cap, how does he ever add to his team being so close to the first apron and get to contender status? He's dangerously close to the point where you hunker down with the squad you've got and sideways shuffle with the trades you do make. I get the feeling Monte might go for something major this summer if things end up disappointing, which I'm sure he's not satisfied with this season up to this point. McNair tried to add this last deadline without disrupting team balance but it wasn't possible. If it's not possible again this summer I can totally see Monte "going for it" if the return is a major one. I'm talking Keegan, picks, picks, and picks if you're building a guaranteed big 3 at the end of the day. The issue is right now, there doesn't appear to be a player like that out there worth that. The playoffs sometimes change viewpoints though so we'll see.
I don’t see an issue with paying your best bench player that much because there’s almost always going to be a role player if not two in the starting lineup as well.

seems like he is getting close. They said he was playing 3 on 3 in the most recent practice if I remember right
Is it just me or do Kings player seem to always take longer to come back from injuries this year? I mean, we’ve been hearing Sasha has been practicing for the past couple of weeks and we still haven’t seen him on the court.

We need Lyles back and an effective Sasha, if we have any chance to overcome the loss of Monk.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
You kinda have to wonder why we gave him 2 years instead of 3. Wouldn't 3 have given us full bird rights? Did his agent want him to hit FA earlier, did the FO not think he'd play this well?
Because he probably thought he was worth more than the annual contract we gave him.

This really hurts. Get well soon, Monk. Hoping for a good recovery. Hope we get to see him suit up for us once again.

We just lost a fearless shot creator and playmaker. He was the guy that would create scoring opportunities for Sabonis. He was our leading shotblocker. The vibes just wouldn't be the same.

It's time for the team to show their mettle. I think we still have a fight in this team. All eyes will be on Fox to see how he responds.
Well said, coolhandluke!

I'm not sure how huerter will do as a bench guy, but for what it's worth huerter has come off the bench before for the hawks. His numbers remained pretty much very similar to his career averages. Different team different system though, so it's hard to say still.

Tough news for all invovled including Monk's contract push. That shortens chances of any playoff run from small to tiny.
Heck the Kings are gonna have some trouble just making the play-ins now.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm not sure how huerter will do as a bench guy, but for what it's worth huerter has come off the bench before for the hawks. His numbers remained pretty much very similar to his career averages. Different team different system though, so it's hard to say still.
In terms of the counting stats, I guess. In terms of efficiency, not so much. Huerter has only come off the bench in 20 percent or more of his games twice in his career, and those were two of the three least-efficient seasons he's had as a pro.

You can get by with inefficient stars. You can't get by with inefficient roleplayers.

I didn't trust that Huerter would play well in the playoffs but losing Monk sucks so bad. Fox is going to be asked to do so much more in close games

Definitely Kings should not be tanking at this point, but being in the play-in against the “darling of the NBA” super teams of Phoenix, Lakers and Warriors, it’s going to be 5 on 8 in those 2 play-in games.

It would be hard seeing a Monk-less Kings team overcoming those odds to make the playoffs. :confused:
I look at it this way, if the Kings can get one of the 7 or 8 slots they have 2 chances to win 1 game. If that's a win against a team like the Warriors not only is that revenge but the kind of confidence builder you want heading into the playoffs and what appears to be more favorable matchups at those 1 and 2 slots if the regular season was at all to be believed.