Monarchs seek finishing touch

News

Hot off the presses...
Monarchs seek finishing touch
One more win will bring title repeat

By Melody Gutierrez -- Bee Staff Writer

The purple confetti is stocked, the trophy is polished, and Arco Arena is prepared to host a second consecutive WNBA championship ceremony for the home team.
Now all the Monarchs have to do is win Game 4 of the Finals tonight against the Detroit Shock, something they can't help but visualize at this point.

"You can't not think about it," forward Nicole Powell said. "It was a great feeling last year."
But Powell doesn't want to get ahead of herself. Though the Monarchs lead the best-of-five championship series 2-1, she gives Detroit its due, saying Game 4 will be as tough as any Sacramento has played. However, it wasn't on the court where the Monarchs have fought their toughest battles.

Forward DeMya Walker returned to the team in late June after giving birth in April. Before that, injuries mounted early when center Yolanda Griffith's knees filled with fluid, and guard Kara Lawson was sidelined by an illness. Then coach John Whisenant was dealt an emotional blow by his mother's death.

Standing at 7-7 and misfiring for many reasons, the Monarchs put it together and won nine of their next 10 games on the way to a 21-13 regular-season record.

"We never let what was going on with this team get to us," Griffith said. "We just battled. This is a special year because of how we started."

Whisenant also repeated the same phrase to his players all season -- worry about getting into the playoffs, and they would figure it out from there.

"I knew logically it would take all season for us to be close to a championship-level team," said Whisenant, who early in the season interviewed for the then-vacant Kings coaching job. "We placed ourselves in the best place possible."

The Monarchs earned the second seed in the Western Conference playoffs, where they blindsided Houston and Los Angeles before winning Games 1 and 3 in the Finals against Detroit.

"I think this would be especially gratifying because we were able to hang in there and get ourselves here," Whisenant said. "Certainly, winning would put us in an elite group. It's something the girls will tell their grandkids about. I'm already telling mine."

The Monarchs, who have won 11 consecutive home playoff games, would be the third team to repeat as champions. Houston won the first four league championships (1997 to 2000), followed by Los Angeles (2001 and 2002).

But no one in the Monarchs' locker room is guaranteeing a series victory and title repeat. Guard Ticha Penicheiro said remaining humble is important, and Griffith gives variables before declaring the Monarchs a better team.

"Everyone knows what they have to do to win," Griffith said after Tuesday's practice, sitting courtside and looking relaxed. "That's why we are better. We are a team. That's what makes us special."

If the Shock's focus and desire to win return tonight to force a Game 5, the series heads back to Detroit on Saturday. A scheduling conflict would force the teams to play at Joe Louis Arena in downtown Detroit instead of the Palace of Auburn Hills, some 40 minutes north.

Shock coach Bill Laimbeer, who guaranteed his team would win the series, said he could see the competitive drive returning to his players.

"You can see the us-versus-the world mentality starting to creep in," said Laimbeer, who was fined Tuesday after questioning the officiating in Game 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Us versus the freakin' world????????????????????????? Wha???????????????

Didn't he say a week ago he had the best team in the WNBA? Didn't nearly all the pundits take Detroit in this series? Who the #$#$ is this "world" that supposedly is against them now? They might want to look in the mirror, they should have had the advantage going into game 3. Geezus. Get this the HELL done tonight, I can't go through another day of this madness with him. He's irritating me worse than Thibault did.

Get this the HELL done tonight!!

Monarchs Playoffs 2006 "WE RUN THIS!!!"

Remember who you are ladies, you are the reigning WNBA champions, come out and defend what's yours.

::chew::

No kidding.....I can just hear it now, "We didn't win the championship because of the refs, because ESPN talked bad about us.....wah wah wah".

My only concern, is that they come out more physical than usual and someone gets hurt, and "Gosh, I guess the refs are calling it our way". Cheryl Ford will swing those elbows a little more, and those hips.....she has a way of backing up/over people and getting no calls. And of course the halfback Smith. I hope the refs will try to keep everyone as honest as possible.

The media has been pro-Detroit since the beginning, so I agree, what the heck is he talking about. When they got trounced, it was all, "what happened to Detroit?", not "Sacramento is a good team". And Detroit needs to do this and this to win. It was totally focused on them beating Sac, so he needs to just get over it.

Anyway:
We Run This!!!

Incredible. Coach Laimbeer already said --- before the Finals began --- that he "guaranteed" the Shock would win. So what's he worrying about?

Boy, do we have a suprise in store for you, Bill! (Heehee) :)

I think BL uses that at least partly to fire up his team, altho that has always been his personality. I guess he thinks he is "punishing" ESPN by refusing to wear a mike tonight. I say, "Thank you, Bill!" (Altho I'll be at the game and wouldn't hear him anyway.:D)

I need to step away from reading this crap because it really is starting to get me worked up (not what I wanted to type, but masking could get dicey the way I feel right now). This guy is reaching right now because he can't keep his team focused any other way. Apppppppppppppppparently they don't seem to want to win on their own because I just flat out can't understand how they got not only beaten, but trounced on Sunday when they came into ARCO having the Monarchs on their heels.

No dumba$$ nobody's spying on you, you readily give up tape to the Monarchs and their coaches actually do something with it.

Just get this the HELL over with tonight Monarchs. You deserve it, now go out and play like you want it.

Monarchs Playoffs 2006 WE RUN THIS!!
::chew::

OK, once again, what is this?
Don't worry. It has nothing to do with the Monarchs. It's some Polynesian expression that Luv13fan adopted after listening to them yell it all day while they were playing cricket on Samoan Flag Day. They would scream "chew" whenever something good happened. That's the basic rundown anyways since she appears to be MIA and not explaining it herself. It has sort of become her own version of a good luck charm or something.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
And here I thought it was a play on the old "kick *** and chew bubble gum" expression...

As in, the Monarchs came to Game 4 to kick *** and chew bubble gum... and they're all out of bubble gum...