Mobley's defense is on display in debut

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12054061p-12924164c.html

Mobley's defense is on display in debut

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Sunday, January 16, 2005

About those Cuttino Mobley defensive concerns?

Hold the judgment. The "Cat" appears to be fine on both ends of the floor and everywhere in between.

Mobley's Kings debut wasn't an offensive showcase, hardly a surprise since the man didn't go over any plays or work up a practice sweat until the Saturday morning shoot-around. But against the Los Angeles Clippers at Arco Arena, he was plenty capable as a stopper.

And a stuffer.

Mobley's four blocked shots tied a career high and surely had some observers wondering if scorers are supposed to suddenly become keepers of the gate like this. And Mobley, who assumed Doug Christie's role as the Kings' starting shooting guard, was Christie-like when he poked the ball away from Kerry Kittles with 1:43 left, collected it and laid it in the basket to seal a 99-95 triumph.

The game started with Kings fans offering a rousing ovation when Mobley was introduced, and it ended when he hustled over to Gavin Maloof and bear-hugged the Kings co-owner amid more roars of approval.

"I had a great time," said Mobley, who also had 13 points and three assists. "I wasn't nervous. I just played. When you're a player, it's easy, and the guys here really helped welcome me."

Kings forward Chris Webber was sure to point out the 6-foot-4 Mobley isn't one-dimensional, never mind his 17-point career average. Webber noted Mobley had a defensive reputation at Rhode Island, which the guard powered to the NCAA Tournament's Elite Eight in 1998.

"If (his defense) surprises people, it shouldn't," Webber said.

Webber, who holds the role of team leader, made every effort to welcome Mobley, from conversation to outlets and screens. Monday's trade gave the Kings five legitimate scoring starters, but it also took their best defender and the man Webber most admired and respected on the team.

"Everything's over," Webber said. "Breaking the ice ... or whatever. ... Let's roll."

Mobley said he will fit in with his new teammates, whom he remembers well from his years with the Houston Rockets. Mobley cracked that he took plenty of shots - 14 - in his debut because hoisting the ball is exactly what everyone else in Kings garb does.

He started 1 of 5 and finished 6 of 14, scoring on long jumpers, runners, a dunk and layups.

Mobley was reduced nearly to tears when he learned of the trade moments before a game against the Boston Celtics. His best friend and Orlando Magic teammate, Steve Francis, initially ripped the trade, because it "messed up something that was good."

Mobley chose Kings jersey No. 3, in honor of Francis, who wears that number for the Magic.

And Saturday, Mobley showcased the Francis "O" as he calls it after certain plays, holding his hands above his head in a circular motion. It's not exactly the hand signals Christie offered his wife dozens of times per game, but it's a love gesture nonetheless.

"Steve, that's my brother," Mobley said. "I wasn't unhappy with the trade. I was unhappy that I was leaving my best friend.

"I talk to Steve every day. We came into the NBA together. When you've got someone with you five straight years, and you're together every single day and all summer, it's hard to leave."

Mobley said he relishes his new role, including defense.

"People see me averaging 17 points for my career and think, Oh, that's what you are," he said. "I'm not Doug or (noted San Antonio Spurs defender) Bruce Bowen by any means. But I'm not the worst defender, either. I just play. I might get four blocks the next game, too."

Mobley's debut numbers

Minutes: 36
Assists: 3
Steals: 1
Blocks: 4