MLB Thread - 2022

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I just can’t get the back half of that contract out of my mind. As much as the first few years would be exciting, that thing is going to be *THE* albatross of all sports in a few years.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Never fear; Farhan has righted the wrong and acquired a AAA backup catcher!

Welcome aboard Blake Sebol!

he’s no Ford Proctor

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Padres get Xander Boegarts, 11 years 280.

Why do the Padres have no problems getting hitters to come to their pitcher friendly ballpark? Smh

((that said, I wouldn’t have wanted to lay this one either. Like at all))

Padres get Xander Boegarts, 11 years 280.

Why do the Padres have no problems getting hitters to come to their pitcher friendly ballpark? Smh

((that said, I wouldn’t have wanted to lay this one either. Like at all))
I'd have been quite a bit more upset at the Xander deal. 11 years! Jesus!

I think Correa is very very likely. Just no one left in the market for him. Maybe the Cubs I guess? Does Boston shell out for him but not their own guy in Xander? Obviously not going to the Dodgers.

If you can get him and like... Nimmo? That's a hell of an off-season. Not the Judge splash, but 2 elite hitters, one very good one and a VAST improvement on one of the worst defenses in baseball. Nimmo is far more a Farhan guy imo; all the elite versatility, defense, on-base skills we look for.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I just don’t see it. Just because it never works. Correa would be nice. I like that he’s the youngest of these huge name guys. But I just assume the Giants will miss out, sign David Peralta instead, also lose Rodon, sign a rehab-his-value potential guy (Rodon/Gausman type), and call it an offseason.

And that rehab potential guy isn’t going to work one if these offseasons.

it’s going to be a rough few years. Lol

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If they somehow end up with Nimmo and Correa for the same range as what Judge cost, I’ll be ecstatic.

They’ll get David Peralta and Jose Iglesias

dude12

Hall of Famer
Such an overpay for Nimmo. Giants need to land Correa. If not, I’d be hesitant to overpay for Swanson but he would slot in nicely on D, just don’t know if he can sustain his offensive numbers but he had a 776 OPS last year in maybe his best offensive year.

Correa is target
If they fail, one of the left handed hitting OFers
Rodon
Senga
A few pen arms
Any guy that fits the platoon system……it worked very well 2 years ago

Open the vaults for Ohtani the following year. 45-50 mill per year to land the star.

Would Senga help to attract Ohtani? I’d be happy overpaying for him, since they need a starter anyway, if it would be somewhat of a down payment for the big fish next year.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Would Senga help to attract Ohtani? I’d be happy overpaying for him, since they need a starter anyway, if it would be somewhat of a down payment for the big fish next year.
Yeah, if we don’t land Correa, be careful about overpaying for some guys just to say we got guys.

They have the minor league assets to go get Reynolds but I wouldn’t trade Luciano or Kyle Harrison in any deal……..unless we are talking a major major star locked up for close to 8-10 years.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Ohtani’s been in the majors for so long at this point that you’d be better served doing things the other way around by signing Ohtani next offseason to help you lure Munetaka Murakami to your team when he gets posted in 2025 or Roki Sasaki whenever he eventually gets posted. He’s a legend here in Japan in the same way Ichiro was and guys would sign with the Mariners for the express purpose of getting to play with him.

Ohtani’s been in the majors for so long at this point that you’d be better served doing things the other way around by signing Ohtani next offseason to help you lure Munetaka Murakami to your team when he gets posted in 2025 or Roki Sasaki whenever he eventually gets posted. He’s a legend here in Japan in the same way Ichiro was and guys would sign with the Mariners for the express purpose of getting to play with him.
Who? Ohtani? Or Sasaki/Murakami?

We probably get Chris Bassit, who is very very good, but it means next to nothing because we lose Rodon. So in essence, it's running it back with Haniger on board. If he stays healthy, that's maybe 3-4 wins over last year? Maybe?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We probably get Chris Bassit, who is very very good, but it means next to nothing because we lose Rodon. So in essence, it's running it back with Haniger on board. If he stays healthy, that's maybe 3-4 wins over last year? Maybe?
Bassitt's a stud (also another former A's guy to continue that narrative) but, yeah, would probably be a good signing in conjunction with the Giants bringing Rodon back instead of in place of him.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Sheesh. Senga off the board. Bassett works as a number 2 behind Webb. Would work even better as a number 3 behind Webb and Rodon.
Correa is a necessity otherwise, it’s platoon city which can work as we have seen with SF 2 years ago and TB as a means to overcome not having dudes but that platoon from 2 years ago had Crawford and Belt with fluky resurrected years, Posey who is since retired, Donnie Barrels, Wade out of nowhere, etc

Need to get Correa.

Very good move, but he's another "in addition" to a stud like Correa, Rodon, etc. Farhan excels so well on these moneyball value contracts and Manaea very easily could end up being the value of the off-season, but he's got to prove he can land a difference maker. Haniger+Manaea in and Rodon out is probably around the same win expectancy.

Webb
Rodon
Cobb
Manaea
Junis/Disco/Wood

That's an excellent rotation.