Mitch Richmond - help me with a look back

I'm not as adept at researching as I used to be so please help me with my question.

What was the best Kings team that Mitch was on ? Who was on it? I saw half of all his home games with us but don't have a recall worth a damn and ..... anyway, I'm very interested. Best team in anyone's view regardless of their record. Thanks.

It was probably the team with Mitch, Brian Grant, Michael Smith, Tyus Edny, OP, Corliss and Walt Williams. 1996-1997 We lost 3-1 to Seattle in the playoffs. I remember going to the playoff game and we gave them a standing ovation when they came out to warm up and it lasted until tip-off.

It was probably the team with Mitch, Brian Grant, Michael Smith, Tyus Edny, OP, Corliss and Walt Williams. 1996-1997 We lost 3-1 to Seattle in the playoffs. I remember going to the playoff game and we gave them a standing ovation when they came out to warm up and it lasted until tip-off.
Thanks, Gary. On the face of it that bunch woul stand out amongst a lot of ordinary Kings' rosters of the times. Grant, Smith, and Williamson were hard working and physical. OP was a tall, ugly presenc on the floor.​

Was that the same year with Rooney?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The plaoff season was actually 95-96, my senior year at university. The year before it came down to the last game or two of the season, so that was a pretty good one too, and the year that he won the All-Star Game MVP.

Wikipedia says:

The 1995-96 NBA season was the Kings' 47th season in the NBA and 11th in Sacramento.[1] After a nine year playoff drought, Sacramento finally made it to the playoffs with a 39-43 record, fifth in the Pacific Division. In the first round of the playoffs, the Kings lost in four games to the Seattle SuperSonics. It was also their only playoff appearance with Mitch Richmond.

Roster
Starter

Backup

Reserve

Inactive

I've caught a couple of games from this team recently on NBA TV. They really had no PG. Edney started, but in crunch time it was generally Lionel Simmons, Sarunas, and Mitch struggling to bring the ball up. Hurley was a shell of his self at that point and rarely played.

This may not be the right place for this, but considering it involves Mitch..

Jonathan Santiago @itsjonsantiago
Interesting tidbit: Scot Pollard & Mitch Richmond in talks to be part of Kings broadcasts this season per CSN Bay Area/CA pres. Ted Griggs.

I wonder in what capacity!
Interesting. I know nothing of it but I would enjoy their addition. I don't want to see either Grant or Jerry replaced but I could see each of our exs fill in or add to, Jerry is probably thinking of hanging them up in the next year or two.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This may not be the right place for this, but considering it involves Mitch..

Jonathan Santiago @itsjonsantiago
Interesting tidbit: Scot Pollard & Mitch Richmond in talks to be part of Kings broadcasts this season per CSN Bay Area/CA pres. Ted Griggs.

I wonder in what capacity!
I know that Grant and Jerry aren't going anywhere soon, but if this is paving the way for an eventual Kayte/Scot announcing team I'm all for it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I know that Grant and Jerry aren't going anywhere soon, but if this is paving the way for an eventual Kayte/Scot announcing team I'm all for it.
Not sure how that would work as they are both color types. But a three person team with play by play/Kayte/Scot could actually be great. Just an expense local teams rarely are willing to incur.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Not sure how that would work as they are both color types. But a three person team with play by play/Kayte/Scot could actually be great. Just an expense local teams rarely are willing to incur.
I thought maybe Kayte could step up to play-by-play eventually. Might be wrong.

I don't expect this to be a popular post, but... no offense but play by play (especially in basketball) is quite an art form and skill. You can see this with Gary Gerould. You have to be trained in that. Regardless of what you think of Grants personality, his pbp skills are actually pretty good. It's about painting the picture but not getting in the way of the action. For radio it truly is artistry, and the G man is widely considered to be today's virtuoso as a basketball pbp man. Kayte is a very good analyst, and decent communicator... but she struggles with phrasing and word replacement at times. I think she'll get better. Let's not let her breathtaking looks overlook any normal human limitations.

I think Kayte is more suited for play-by-play than color, a personality thing, and Scot Pollard tends to be the opposite - more of a personality, color analyst than a straight play-by-play announcer. I don't know where Mitch falls.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think Kayte is more suited for play-by-play than color, a personality thing, and Scot Pollard tends to be the opposite - more of a personality, color analyst than a straight play-by-play announcer. I don't know where Mitch falls.
Play-by-play isn't simply something you determine by personality. As a guy who's tried his hand at it back in the day, you need to paint the picture of the action of the floor whilst also peppering the scene with your own personality AND letting your partner have his own time to shine. It's a delicate balance. Now obviously there have been cases of former players becoming play-by-play guys (mostly in baseball) but for the most part, they stick to color commentary.

They just don't make 2 guards like they used to. When James Harden is considered the best 2 in the league I think it's fair to say there's a lack top tier talent in the league. Mitch was a hell of a player who imo if was to dropped into today's NBA would flat out dominate.

I had the privilege to actually speak to KJ about what could have been if the Kings had drafted him instead of Kenny Smith and he thought him and mitch would have been one of the best backcourts of all time.

I had the privilege to actually speak to KJ about what could have been if the Kings had drafted him instead of Kenny Smith and he thought him and mitch would have been one of the best backcourts of all time.
The problem with this is, had the Kings drafted KJ in '87, they likely wouldn't have been in position or had the same resources to trade for Mitch 4 years later. Ignoring that, yeah .. that would have been one superb backcourt.