Meeting with Mastrov and latest news, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions, Thoughts, & Observations

In the begining of this quest to keep the Kings here in Sacramento there was lots of information coming out from various sources. It was coming fast and furious early on but in recent days it has seemed to dry up. Not hearing much out of the Mayors office anymore. Carmichael Dave, who was filled with information has been pretty quiet of late. I wonder what is up with that. I wonder if we have run into snags that are holding up the announcements of the "whales". Or, perhaps KJ is just shoring up loose ends before the anouncement comes. Thoughts?

Seems like Seattle fans aren't even concerned that they won't get the Kings. Do they know something we don't? Or are they just apathetic enough to not really care?

How big is this "right of first refusal"? Can this really prevent Seattle from getting our Kings?

I REALLY LIKE the Arena idea at downtown plaza over the railyards much better.

I know patience is a virtue but I am getting antsy. Burkle, Mastrov, Ellison? How do they all fit together. Who is going to do what and are they going to all do it together?

What is going to be happening at the feb 9th "Here we Stay/Buy" game?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Questions, Thoughts, & Observations

In the begining of this quest to keep the Kings here in Sacramento there was lots of information coming out from various sources. It was coming fast and furious early on but in recent days it has seemed to dry up. Not hearing much out of the Mayors office anymore. Carmichael Dave, who was filled with information has been pretty quiet of late. I wonder what is up with that. I wonder if we have run into snags that are holding up the announcements of the "whales". Or, perhaps KJ is just shoring up loose ends before the anouncement comes. Thoughts?

Seems like Seattle fans aren't even concerned that they won't get the Kings. Do they know something we don't? Or are they just apathetic enough to not really care?

How big is this "right of first refusal"? Can this really prevent Seattle from getting our Kings?

I REALLY LIKE the Arena idea at downtown plaza over the railyards much better.

I know patience is a virtue but I am getting antsy. Burkle, Mastrov, Ellison? How do they all fit together. Who is going to do what and are they going to all do it together?

What is going to be happening at the feb 9th "Here we Stay/Buy" game?
I think you're reading way too much into the silence. This isn't a six-hour made-for-TV movie with all the loose ends tied up neat and tidy by the end of the show. Answers will come, but they're not gonna come until they're ready. Much like when we were kids and always asked, "Are we there yet?" we're all wanting to get to the end but "We'll get there when we get there."

gunks

Hall of Famer
Starting to look like Hansen/Balmer vs. Burkle/Mastrov vs. Ellison.

I'd imagine that Stern/BOG is going to side with Sacramento in the Sac vs. Seatown fight. It'll just look too poorly if they dont what with all these offers we have from big money guys wanting to keep the team in sac. I wouldnt be surprised if Hansen and co. pull out if/after the BOG/Stern vetos the relocation. Then the Maloofs will get themselves a little bidding war between Ellison and Burkle/Mastrov and realize opening it up to a local bid was the right move all along...Dummies.

I wonder ......

maybe the silence is another tactic. Feb. 1 is the day of that $30 Million non refundable deposit. There is enough information floating around about counter offers that, perhaps, it's a game of chicken. Hansen has a few days to reconsider losing $30 million. Wouldn't shock me at all if he backs out instead.

"A second NBA committee, the relocation committee, will be tasked with analyzing Seattle's arena plans and that city's strength as an NBA city. An NBA guiding document states the committee will consider how well the Maloofs have managed the team and will assess "the support of the … team in the existing location by fans, telecasters, broadcasters and sponsors."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/30/5150772/how-nba-would-evaluate-competing.html#storylink=cpy

To me, this is bigger news than even the whales being announced. It means that the league is not going to ''rubber stamp" relocation to Seattle. It signals that the league doesn't care that Seattle submitted their offer first.

The timing of the release is also key. This news broke before the Feb 1st $30 mil deposit goes into effect. It's essentially serving notice to Hansen and friends that the league is aware that the Maloofs mismanaged the team and the market and that that will be taken into consideration. We all know that KJ will deliver a strong presentation at BOG meeting that will highlight the short comings of the Maloofs and the strength of the Sac market. So if Hansen wants to back out, this would be the time. I doubt Hansen will back out, but this is his chance to save himself $30 mil.

Last...all the reporters who said that the fans don't matter in this situation are dead wrong. I'm officially positive about our situation now.

L

LWP777

Starting to look like Hansen/Balmer vs. Burkle/Mastrov vs. Ellison.

I'd imagine that Stern/BOG is going to side with Sacramento in the Sac vs. Seatown fight. It'll just look too poorly if they dont what with all these offers we have from big money guys wanting to keep the team in sac. I wouldnt be surprised if Hansen and co. pull out if/after the BOG/Stern vetos the relocation. Then the Maloofs will get themselves a little bidding war between Ellison and Burkle/Mastrov and realize opening it up to a local bid was the right move all along...Dummies.
While the Maloofs clearly aren't good businessmen, I disagree with you on this point. If their #1 goal was to get as much money as possible for the team, then they were smart to bring another market into the mix. The more markets and whales competing for the franchise is only going to net them more money. If they would have just come out initially and sell to local bidders they might not get nearly as much as they are going to end up with now.

Also, if you believe what they have been saying all along (which I realize is a stretch), they have maintained the team was not for sale. Apparently, they got an offer from somebody last year for $425M and rejected it, saying that the magic number was $500M. Well, the magic number plus some came from Seattle first, not the local investors.

If their #1 goal was to get as much money as possible for the team, then they were smart to bring another market into the mix.
The only smart thing about it was to get Hansen to sign the dotted line for $525M. The flirting with VB is what may have done it.

HOWEVER, it remains to be seen if Hansen follows through and puts down the $30M non-refundable deposit. I don't know what kind of businessman he is, but we all know what kind the Maloofs are. If Hansen pulls out of the deal before putting down the money, the cynic in me will think that something shady went on:

Maloofs: "Hey Hansen, you want an expansion team?"
Hansen: "Heck yeah!"
Maloofs: "Helps us out and you may get yourself one"
Hansen: "How?"
Maloofs: "Agree to buy our team for $525M. That will help us bump the price. Once the price is set and Sacramento fights back for the team, pull out. It will inflate the price for us and the NBA may just feel bad for you and grant you an expansion team"
Hansen: "They'll never believe it. You guys pull out of every deal."
Maloofs: "We'll sign a binding agreement that only comes in effect in February, even say you're putting down a non-refundable deposit. Then, you back out beforehand citing that the deal is too uncertain."
Hansen: "You guys are the best!"

Again, I don't know what kind of businesman Hansen is but, based on the Maloof's history, anything is possible...

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
Seems to also be an end run around KJ's buyers.
That's my point, and the fear is that Ellison would rather have this team in San Jose than Sacramento. Obviously a MUCH better outcome than them turning into the Seattle Soncis but far from ideal.

That's my point, and the fear is that Ellison would rather have this team in San Jose than Sacramento. Obviously a MUCH better outcome than them turning into the Seattle Soncis but far from ideal.
The only team that will be able to move to San Jose is the Warriors.

How so? They left it up to the BoG to decide which sale gets accepted. Sac could offer more money and the NBA could approve the sale to Hansen. If you are selling something, don't you want to have control of the final sale? They signed a binding agreement before they looked for other offers. If you are selling a house, do you sell to the first person who writes you a check?

L

LWP777

The only smart thing about it was to get Hansen to sign the dotted line for $525M. The flirting with VB is what may have done it.

HOWEVER, it remains to be seen if Hansen follows through and puts down the $30M non-refundable deposit. I don't know what kind of businessman he is, but we all know what kind the Maloofs are. If Hansen pulls out of the deal before putting down the money, the cynic in me will think that something shady went on:

Maloofs: "Hey Hansen, you want an expansion team?"
Hansen: "Heck yeah!"
Maloofs: "Helps us out and you may get yourself one"
Hansen: "How?"
Maloofs: "Agree to buy our team for $525M. That will help us bump the price. Once the price is set and Sacramento fights back for the team, pull out. It will inflate the price for us and the NBA may just feel bad for you and grant you an expansion team"
Hansen: "They'll never believe it. You guys pull out of every deal."
Maloofs: "We'll sign a binding agreement that only comes in effect in February, even say you're putting down a non-refundable deposit. Then, you back out beforehand citing that the deal is too uncertain."
Hansen: "You guys are the best!"

Again, I don't know what kind of businesman Hansen is but, based on the Maloof's history, anything is possible...
This is actually pretty funny. It's pretty clever and shady (right up the Magoofs ally) at the same time. However, it's probably too complex and savvy for the Magoofs to have pulled off but you never know!

How so? They left it up to the BoG to decide which sale gets accepted. Sac could offer more money and the NBA could approve the sale to Hansen. If you are selling something, don't you want to have control of the final sale? They signed a binding agreement before they looked for other offers. If you are selling a house, do you sell to the first person who writes you a check?
But like selling a house there are contingencies like loan approval, inspections, appraisal, etc. In this case, the sale is contingent up the BoG approval. Therefore, it is not a binding agreement until all contingencies are met. So no they do not have control over the final sale if the BoG determines they do not want the team to move.

Revrag

Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
This scenario has nothing to do with the BOG. This would be the bankruptcy court blocking the sale because minority owners weren't given the opportunity to exercise their ROFR. Then Ellison buys the 7% at auction giving him a chance to match any offer made (including KJ's team if it goes that way). Now if Ellison is committed to keeping the team in Sacramento then I think this is a decent plan B if things don't go our way at the BOG but it could certainly complicate things too.

This scenario has nothing to do with the BOG. This would be the bankruptcy court blocking the sale because minority owners weren't given the opportunity to exercise their ROFR. Then Ellison buys the 7% at auction giving him a chance to match any offer made (including KJ's team if it goes that way). Now if Ellison is committed to keeping the team in Sacramento then I think this is a decent plan B if things don't go our way at the BOG but it could certainly complicate things too.
The sale has everything to do with the BoG because they have final say in any sale.

Why? The Lakers and Clippers play in the same building. Why couldn't there be teams in Oakland and San Jose?
The NBA didn't like that move and changed their bylaws to prevent teams from moving. The warriors have the bay area market. The NBA won't let another team move there just like LA, NY area, Chicago. It would also set a very bad trend of multiple teams in larger markets and could spur small market teams to move to join larger with teams.

Revrag

Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
The sale has everything to do with the BoG because they have final say in any sale.
OK, fair enough. Could this potentially drag out in the courts then? If the court says that the minority owners have a ROFR in the partnership agreement, and the BOG blocks anyone (Ellison, etc.) from exercising that right, who wins?

Revrag

Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
The NBA didn't like that move and changed their bylaws to prevent teams from moving. The warriors have the bay area market. The NBA won't let another team move there just like LA, NY area, Chicago. It would also set a very bad trend of multiple teams in larger markets and could spur small market teams to move to join larger with teams.
Thanks, didn't know about the change in the bylaws. So if Ellison did end up winning what we currently presume is a 3 horse race we can reasonably assume he'd keep the team in Sac?

Thanks, didn't know about the change in the bylaws. So if Ellison did end up winning what we currently presume is a 3 horse race we can reasonably assume he'd keep the team in Sac?
Yes, as the bid would include the arena and a long term lease. However, if he buys the team and the city fails to deliver their part of the arena deal, then I would imagine all bets are off.

Why? The Lakers and Clippers play in the same building. Why couldn't there be teams in Oakland and San Jose?
The NBA is behind the Lacob's push to get their new arena in SF. There is no chance they will allow anyone to mess that up. Talk of another team anywhere in the bay area will be halted by the NBA.

OK, fair enough. Could this potentially drag out in the courts then? If the court says that the minority owners have a ROFR in the partnership agreement, and the BOG blocks anyone (Ellison, etc.) from exercising that right, who wins?
I don't think anyone can answer that. If BoG says teu can't sell to Ellison, maybe they would take NBA to court. Honestly, I don't think this will be settled in court because I don't think Ellison is serious.

I don't think anyone can answer that. If BoG says teu can't sell to Ellison, maybe they would take NBA to court. Honestly, I don't think this will be settled in court because I don't think Ellison is serious.
As others have said, if the sale can't go thru for whatever legal reason it's a definite possibility that the league will hand the Clowns a GTFO check and take custody of the majority ownership of the team until all issues are settled and they can find an ownership group of their liking.

Timing is everything. They could be waiting to see if Hansen still makes the "non-refundable" $30 million deposit.
Is the announcement even that important really? The important thing is what's happening behind the scenes and so far we already know that Stern is involved. They may wait to make the announcement until they are full proof solid on all points. After the last ordeal I'd bet KJ will want everything written down in triplicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.