Meeting Day - April 3, 2013

Gosh, this is exhausting. Thank goodness KJ is our mayor!

A little downer when Stern said it might go past April 18th/19th meeting. This is nerve-racking. Sounds like arena details and timeline may be crucial.

Per Rob McAllister at the Sac Bee:
I may be hairless before summer.
in my view, this is good news. it means the BoG recognizes that sacramento's case is as compelling as advertised. remember, a sale such as the one inked by the maloofs and hansen/ballmer is ordinarily fast-tracked through to completion by season's end. the owners like to get things done simply, and they prefer not to vote against their own. but they're presented with a tremendously difficult decision this time around, and kevin johnson has forced their hand. if they need more time, it's because KJ's been so convincing...

do you guys really the kings will leave when we have matched the offer, have a new arena , and already have the team here!!
it makes zero since for the league to take our team away, that wil give the league a nother black eye

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
in my view, this is good news. it means the BoG recognizes that sacramento's case is as compelling as advertised. remember, a sale such as the one inked by the maloofs and hansen/ballmer is ordinarily fast-tracked through to completion by season's end. the owners like to get things done simply, and they prefer not to vote against their own. but they're presented with a tremendously difficult decision this time around, and kevin johnson has forced their hand. if they need more time, it's because KJ's been so convincing...
Totally agree. There were a couple of times during Stern's very carefully worded presser that I thought he gave a couple of hints about Sacramento's changes. He did mention our incredible support of the NBA and the city's cooperation. Those are huge. If this draws out past the original date, it can only mean that Sacramento has, as you pointed out, made it very difficult for the owners to vote to move the team.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Oh, man, you can't get that stuff out. You're just gonna have to burn it all, clothes, furniture...new carpet. Just call your home insurance company and make sure they put you up in a hotel until the professionals can clean that up.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Oh, man, you can't get that stuff out. You're just gonna have to burn it all, clothes, furniture...new carpet. Just call your home insurance company and make sure they put you up in a hotel until the professionals can clean that up.
I say you just blow up the whole arena and build a new one several miles away.

The one thing I didn't like about Stern's presser is that he said something to the effect that he wouldn't influence too much the other owners.... In my belief Stern is on our side, given his relationship with KJ, our arena efforts and Seattle's lack of political will 5 years ago, and would have liked to have seen him advising the other owners
LOL...Imagine you're a billionaire, and some lawyer on TV spoke, that he's going to handle you...Yeah, that would work well. Stern will never speak about the extent of his influence, especially if it's a great one.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I heard grants show yesterday that there are only 12 people on the board.
There are 12 owners on the joint committee that will submit its recommendations to the Board. The Board of Governors consists of one owner/representative for each team, for a total of 30.

Yes, it probably is good news. I've just a bad case of the going crazies.

There are 12 owners on the joint committee that will submit its recommendations to the Board. The Board of Governors consists of one owner/representative for each team, for a total of 30.
so we need 8/30 and there's a chance that even if the board recommends Seattle, that we'll get those votes ?

As much as I want to get this thing over with, I'm not surprised that they are going to let this extend a bit. With Seattle, there are way too many question marks to approve of them this early. There is still an appeal, another lawsuit and an EIS review that isn't finished until November. How can they approve of a move to Seattle when the arena might be thwarted?

We have our hurdles to cross as well. There will unfortunately be a lawsuit or two plus some NIMBY will try to gather 30,000 signatures or whatever. None of this will be answered in the next 2 weeks.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Very bland presser by the Seattle folks; not controversial in the least. EXCEPT, when asked about George's comments, they deferred to George. I doubt George's comments were just as bland. Undoubtedly, the question was asked: so what would be so bad about taking the Sacramento offer? My guess: he raised questions of performance. It seems that the NBA is focused on performance, especially about the arena deal for both Seattle and Sacto. That is where the complexities are found. They don't want to decide in favor of Sacto or Seattle, only to be holding the bag two years from now when there is no construction for some unforeseen reason. If the NBA is positive that Sacto has at least as much chance to perform on the arena as Seattle, then it seems Sacto's game. If Georgie can raise some doubts and issues with Sacto that can't be resolved, then it's probably Seattle.

Very bland presser by the Seattle folks; not controversial in the least. EXCEPT, when asked about George's comments, they deferred to George. I doubt George's comments were just as bland. Undoubtedly, the question was asked: so what would be so bad about taking the Sacramento offer? My guess: he raised questions of performance. It seems that the NBA is focused on performance, especially about the arena deal for both Seattle and Sacto. That is where the complexities are found. They don't want to decide in favor of Sacto or Seattle, only to be holding the bag two years from now when there is no construction for some unforeseen reason. If the NBA is positive that Sacto has at least as much chance to perform on the arena as Seattle, then it seems Sacto's game. If Georgie can raise some doubts and issues with Sacto that can't be resolved, then it's probably Seattle.
Wouldnt your end scenario require that Seattle have a solid arena plan with little to no about seattles ability to follow through with it IN ADDITION to Sacramento seeming incapable of actually building the arena? This would be the only way the advantage could go to Seattle in my opinion, and it aint gon happen.

I can't help but wonder if Stren and Co plan to extend the timeline for decision for the very purpose of offering Seattle expansion. He made it clear that you don't do this on "horseback," but also that it could be considered in the "future." Interesting that he played around with the concept of when is "now" in the pressor and smiled. He discussed how a lot of research needed to be done to figure out the best home for the Kings but why wouldn't they review the terms for expansion during this period?

I honestly believe expansion is not on the table, dillution of talent is a major issue to the existing owners and was discussed at length a few years ago at how contraction may be benficial. They already went down this road when the were trying to make amends with charlotte by giving them an expansion team, sure at the time everyone was happy, attendance was great at first, huge cash infusion to the owners, but long term the owners will end up paying more in revenue splits and revenue sharing than the benefit they recieved from putting a team in charlotte. the league took a big hit with the bobcats and I get the vibe that they just dont want to deal expansion anytime in the near future.

I don't have much Kings gear these days. An old bibby jersey that doesnt fit me anymore, a warmup from the Richmond era, some throw back blue and red t-shirts and an old kings hat. I rocked my purple tie at work yesterday, then afterwards I went home and changed and put on the Kings hat. I had to run a handful of errands and everywhere I went I got asked: "So what's going on with the Kings today?" "Is there any news" "Are they staying"

You could tell these were all barely fans, probably watch a handful of games on tv each year, go to a game if a friend invites them type person.

That being said, they all wanted to know what was going on and if the Kings are staying.

Which would look worse? Team staying and having delays on a new arena or moving a team and having delays or having the longshoreman win their suit and have to find a new location.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I honestly believe expansion is not on the table, dillution of talent is a major issue to the existing owners and was discussed at length a few years ago at how contraction may be benficial. They already went down this road when the were trying to make amends with charlotte by giving them an expansion team, sure at the time everyone was happy, attendance was great at first, huge cash infusion to the owners, but long term the owners will end up paying more in revenue splits and revenue sharing than the benefit they recieved from putting a team in charlotte. the league took a big hit with the bobcats and I get the vibe that they just dont want to deal expansion anytime in the near future.
I tend to agree with you. While I believe that it IS possible to bring in 12 more players in the draft with out seriously diluting the talent pool, and that a team in Seattle will not hurt the the over all profitability of the NBA, the league has taken some hard knocks with the most recent expansions. Given the questionable success of the Bobcats, Griz and Raptors no one can blame owners from being gun shy, and the truth is the most logical solution is to allow the move of an existing team to Seattle and of course this is the current problem. The Kings do have the worst attendance in the NBA at this point, now other cities may have owners willing to sell and fans that will not put up as much of a fight, but if we can try to be objective for a moment this is the problem the BOG faces. They have to decide if a failing franchise with owners willing to sell should be moved to a lager market that was less than supportive when it had a team and if not the Kings then what do they say next time Seattle buyers turn up with a similar offer for another team, and it will happen now that Hansen has essentially taken out an ad on Crag's list offering to grossly over pay for an NBA franchise provided it can be moved to Seattle.

I tend to agree with you. While I believe that it IS possible to bring in 12 more players in the draft with out seriously diluting the talent pool, and that a team in Seattle will not hurt the the over all profitability of the NBA, the league has taken some hard knocks with the most recent expansions. Given the questionable success of the Bobcats, Griz and Raptors no one can blame owners from being gun shy, and the truth is the most logical solution is to allow the move of an existing team to Seattle and of course this is the current problem. The Kings do have the worst attendance in the NBA at this point, now other cities may have owners willing to sell and fans that will not put up as much of a fight, but if we can try to be objective for a moment this is the problem the BOG faces. They have to decide if a failing franchise with owners willing to sell should be moved to a lager market that was less than supportive when it had a team and if not the Kings then what do they say next time Seattle buyers turn up with a similar offer for another team, and it will happen now that Hansen has essentially taken out an ad on Crag's list offering to grossly over pay for an NBA franchise provided it can be moved to Seattle.
Yet they also need to consider why the franchise is failing (intentional sabotage by current owners), the history of that franchise when it wasn't being mismanaged (sellout streaks), the support from the city (arena plans approved over and over, just to see the owners back out), and the fact that there are FOUR billionaires putting their money where their mouth is and saying they can make this a success.

With that said, I'm sure Stern absolutely *LOVES* Hansen. He has singlehandedly raised the price of every NBA franchise out there. As a matter of fact, it may be better for the NBA to leave the team in Sacramento. If Hansen is out of the market, the franchise prices will drop like a rock. With him in the hunt, the King's record sale price will soon be broken.

origkds

What- Me Worry?
Which would look worse? Team staying and having delays on a new arena or moving a team and having delays or having the longshoreman win their suit and have to find a new location.
This is a very relevant point and I have to assume that the Board will be asking themselves the same question. If the real deciding factor is who can build the arena first, then we have the edge. Bringing Senator Steinberg to the presentation was brilliant. His presence reassures the committee that red tape or lawsuits will not get in the way of building the arena. We may not have all the details ironed out but we will not have any major obstacles delaying the project.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
For those us us, like me, who did not have the opportunity to watch the presser live, here is the link

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/vide...ce-from-sacramento-group-on-nba-presentation/

I have to say, the confidence and chemistry in that presser was unbelievable
! Let's get this done Sacramento! This is the final stretch and we need to bring it home! Not long to go now!
That's what struck me, too. They have an aura that radiates confidence and it's really clear they've spent quite a bit of time together because they are clearly very comfortable with each other. If the same feeling came through in the meeting, the committee couldn't help but be drawn to those confident, competent individuals.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yet they also need to consider why the franchise is failing (intentional sabotage by current owners), the history of that franchise when it wasn't being mismanaged (sellout streaks), the support from the city (arena plans approved over and over, just to see the owners back out), and the fact that there are FOUR billionaires putting their money where their mouth is and saying they can make this a success.

With that said, I'm sure Stern absolutely *LOVES* Hansen. He has singlehandedly raised the price of every NBA franchise out there. As a matter of fact, it may be better for the NBA to leave the team in Sacramento. If Hansen is out of the market, the franchise prices will drop like a rock. With him in the hunt, the King's record sale price will soon be broken.
That's how I see it, too. The BoG is completely aware of why the franchise has been tumbling in a downward spiral. When the NBA sends a marketing staff to a team because the owners can't be trusted to properly market their team, it's pretty clear that the problem doesn't lie with the fans or the potential corporate sponsors. The market is here and viable, IF the salesmen aren't greasy snakes more interested in Las Vegas than Sacramento.