Maurice Stokes

i just saw the sports century on him and it was one of the best sports stories ive ever seen. his and jack twymans jerseys hang from the rafters in arco but i never knew the story behind them.

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Stokes_Maurice.html

Stokes' life a tale of tragedy and friendship
By Bob Carter
Special to ESPN.com

"To see the way he conducted himself, I just stood in awe of him. It got so bad, when I would be having a bad day myself, I would go to see Maurice, selfishly, to say, I want to get pumped up. And he never failed to pump me up," says Jack Twyman.

In the 1950s, his ability to beat opponents to rebounds with his muscular body, quickness and positioning was nearly unparalleled. He averaged more than 20 rebounds per game in college, more than 17 in the NBA. He passed well, too, good enough to be among the NBA's assist leaders, and averaged double figures in scoring.

Maurice Stokes was one of basketball's best forwards then, one of its least-known stars now. Stokes, 6-foot-7 and 240 pounds, wasn't around long enough to be remembered like many of his peers. In the final regular-season game of the 1957-58 season, his third year as a pro, the Cincinnati Royals all-star fell to the floor, hit his head and was knocked unconscious.

Three days later, the 24-year-old went into a coma and was permanently paralyzed, his career over. His life, however, wasn't over, thanks mostly to teammate Jack Twyman, who helped to raise money for his medical expenses and became his legal guardian. Twyman started an exhibition game in Stokes' honor and established the Maurice Stokes Foundation to defray hospital costs.

In 1973, three years after Stokes' death, his story was told in the film "Maurie," which starred former football player Bernie Casey. Though few of today's NBA stars know much about Stokes, mid-century players appreciated his game. Bobby Wanzer, who coached and played with him, said, "If things had worked out differently, Maurice would have become one of the top 10 players of all time."

Said Twyman: "No one had seen a guy with that combination of strength, speed and size."

Stokes, who was born on June 17, 1933 in Rankin, Pa., just outside Pittsburgh, and Twyman had connections early on. They were high school basketball contemporaries in Pittsburgh, and both showed late development on the court.

The Stokes family - Maurice, his parents, two brothers and twin sister - moved to the Homewood section of Pittsburgh when he was eight. At Westinghouse High School, Stokes was a two-year starter and the team won back-to-back city championships, but he often was overshadowed by teammates. Though he received 10 basketball scholarship offers, some college coaches thought he was too slow.

Twyman, during the same span, failed to make his Central Catholic High School team three times and played only one season before going on to the University of Cincinnati, where he turned into a superb shooter.

At St. Francis College in Loretto, Pa., Stokes became a small-college All-American. He averaged 23.3 points and 22.2 rebounds in his junior year as St. Francis went 22-9 and played in the National Invitation Tournament. As a senior, he led the Frankies to fourth place at the 1955 NIT, where he scored 43 points in a 79-73 overtime loss in the semifinals to Dayton and was named the tournament's MVP. In 1997, a media panel voted him to the all-time NIT team.

The NBA, Harlem Globetrotters and industrial teams pursued Stokes after his senior season. The Rochester Royals chose Stokes No. 2 overall in the 1955 NBA draft - after Milwaukee picked Dick Ricketts of Duquesne - and selected Twyman in the second round. Along with Niagara's Ed Fleming, the Royals' No. 3 pick who was a Westinghouse teammate of Stokes, they drove from Pittsburgh for their first pro training camp.

Stokes made an immediate impact, getting 32 points, 20 rebounds and eight assists in his NBA debut. He went on to average 16.8 points in 1955-56 and a league-best 16.3 rebounds, snatching a franchise-record 38 in one game, and was voted the NBA's Rookie of the Year.

"The first great, athletic power forward," Bob Cousy said years later. "He was Karl Malone with more finesse."

Twyman also became a rookie starter for the Royals and averaged 14.4 points and 6.5 rebounds.

In Stokes' second season, he set an NBA record by grabbing 1,256 rebounds (17.4 per game), ranked third in the league in assists with 331 (4.6 average) and scored 15.6 points a game.

The Royals moved to Cincinnati before the 1957-58 season, and Stokes finished second in rebounding average (18.1) to Bill Russell, third again in assists (6.4), behind only guards Cousy and Dick McGuire, and scored 16.9 points a game.

A 35-percent shooter in his three seasons, he averaged 16.4 points, 17.3 rebounds and 5.3 assists. Playing 37 minutes a contest in his 202-game career, he was named second-team all-league each year.

"Competitive, hard-nosed, tough," former NBA player and coach Gene Shue described Stokes in 1992. "He was a coach's dream."

The dream career ended tragically on March 12, 1958 in Minneapolis when Stokes drove to the basket against the Lakers, drew contact and fell awkwardly to the floor, hitting his head. Knocked out for several minutes, he was revived with smelling salts and returned to the game.

Three days later, the Royals lost their playoff opener at Detroit, and after a 12-point, 15-rebound performance, Stokes became ill on the team's flight back to Cincinnati. "I feel like I'm going to die," he told a teammate.

When the plane landed, he was taken to a nearby hospital in Covington, Ky., where he remained unconscious for weeks, a quadriplegic. He later was moved to a Cincinnati hospital, his home for six years.

Stokes' illness was first diagnosed as encephalitis. Soon, it was traced to the head injury he suffered against the Lakers. The final diagnosis: post-traumatic encephalopathy, a brain injury that damaged his motor control center.

When Stokes' family could not afford the medical bills, stepping up to take charge was Twyman, who lived in Cincinnati. "Things had to be done immediately," he said, "and no one was there to do them but me."

Twyman worked feverishly. He applied to become his friend's legal guardian and a judge granted the request, enabling Twyman to control Stokes' $9,000 bank account and pay some bills. He filed applications so that Stokes received work injury compensation, which helped with his hospitalization, care and medicine.

Later in 1958, Twyman worked to organize an exhibition doubleheader that raised $10,000 for Stokes' expenses. He handled Stokes' mail, including his bills. And though he had a family of his own, Twyman spent countless hours at the hospital with Stokes, who after regaining consciousness could not speak.

Twyman communicated by going through the alphabet, letter by letter, until Stokes, who was mentally alert, blinked in recognition. Slowly, the process spelled out words.

The brain injury had robbed Stokes of his speech, mobility and independence, but not his spirit. He took on a painful regimen of physical therapy, gradually gaining minimal movement in his limbs and joints. His body sweating, Stokes spent hours receiving treatment from therapists and eventually took small steps down the hospital hallway in braces, his large frame supported by nurses.

Though his body suffered spasms and his fingers didn't always go where he wanted, Stokes learned how to type again and how to paint. In a wheelchair, he accompanied Twyman to some of the annual exhibition games in his honor, an event kept alive by Milt Kutsher, who offered up his Catskills resort as a game site. Somehow, after accepting his situation, Stokes kept his sense of humor.

"Stokes lived as a symbol of the best that a man is, despite the terrible things which can happen to him," wrote New York Post columnist Milton Gross. "He was a beautiful man who believed that surrender was not the way, even though he couldn't walk, couldn't talk except agonizingly. And he laughed when he should have cried."

On April 6, 1970, Stokes died of a heart attack. At his request, he was buried at St. Francis. Maurice Stokes was 36.

In September 2004, he was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I've read that story.

Truley sad how his carrer ended, but what a great, touching story.

Twyman is a great guy.

It's an inspiring story. I looked it up a while back, because of the retired numbers in the rafters and Grant alluded to it. How fortunate he was to have a friend like Twyman

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you check the past threads, you'll see that I have posted his story before. It's a great read.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
A tragic story, but what was the argument for inducting him into the Hall of Fame, exactly? Were they projecting what they think he would have averaged, had he lived?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
A tragic story, but what was the argument for inducting him into the Hall of Fame, exactly? Were they projecting what they think he would have averaged, had he lived?
Apparently. Kind of silly really. Some great players not in the hall, and you put somebody in out of pity more or less.

Wow ... what a story.

Sorta puts things in back in perspective AGAIN when you read about other individuals issues/struggles/lives

I need these kinds of reminders from time-to-time ... thanx for the post

so he got into the hall of fame after only three years in the L, so did he get in because of what he did for three years, hmm, he must have been really good or they just felt sorry for him.

I must disagree, my friends. Remember, this is a BASKETBALL Hall of Fame, not an NBA HOF. There is precedent for Maurice's induction into the HOF. Angelo "Hank" Luisetti was inducted into the HOF with an oustanding college career; he was a two-time All American. http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/Luisetti.htm However, after just THREE years of AAU ball (I would guess that he would have eventually played in the NBA, once it evolved), he contracted spinal meningitis in 1944, which ended his career. (Sound familiar?)

Big Mo had an outstanding college career as well; in 1955 became the only player in NIT history from a fourth place team to be named as the tournament's MVP. And this was when the NIT was a bigger tournament than the NCAA. As an NBA player, he was named Rookie of the Year and was a three time All Star. I'm just guessing here, but I don't think that very many players have ever been Rookie of the Year and also been named to the All Star team in their first three years in the league. I would also venture to bet that such players who have accomplished this are almost all in the HOF.
http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/stokes.htm

The basic problem here is that there are no criterion for HOF selection; rather, you merely have to be retired for five years. Clearly, Big Mo is there for reasons other than his stats, since he also demonstated great courage and determination in facing his medical problems.

Bottom line: BIG MO IS NOT IN THE HOF BECAUSE ANYONE IS FEELING SORRY FOR HIM!! He was a great college player, and on his way to becoming a great pro when he was tragically struck down before he could even reach the pinnacle of his career. Big Mo is one of the best players to EVER put on a Royals/Kings uni, and I for one am proud that his accomplishments, however shortened they might be, have deservedly put him into the HOF.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's the story I posted back in September:

NBA beat: This friendship was Hall of Fame-caliber

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Sunday, September 12, 2004

Red Auerbach said he was Magic Johnson before we came to know Magic Johnson.
Bob Pettit, another Hall of Famer, said he was Karl Malone before the Mailman emerged as the prototypical power forward of today.

One of the NBA's forgotten stars - Maurice Stokes - was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame on Friday night, his story laced with incredible ability and sorrow. Fellow Hall member Jack Twyman accepted the honor on Stokes' behalf.

Stokes was on his way to a decorated career with the Rochester, then Cincinnati Royals (who years later became the Sacramento Kings) before his life was altered on an otherwise routine play. A powerfully built 6-foot-7, 232-pound forward, Stokes won NBA Rookie of the Year honors in 1955-56 and was averaging nearly 17 points, 18 rebounds and seven assists per game in his third season when it all ended.

Stokes lost his balance while battling the Minneapolis Lakers' Vern Mikkelsen for a rebound and crashed to the floor, his head slamming onto the hardwood. Three days later on a flight home to Cincinnati, Stokes slumped into the arms of Twyman, then into a coma that lasted months.

Although he regained consciousness and his memory, Stokes' ability to speak was gone, and so was his body. Stokes' brain had swelled, and his motor system - which controls a person's ability to walk, talk and move body parts - was lost. Stokes remained a paraplegic, and he died of a heart attack in 1970.

Stokes' retired jersey No. 12 hangs in the Arco Arena rafters, near Twyman's No. 27, and wouldn't it be fitting for Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof to invite Twyman to a game to honor him and his friend this coming season?

Beyond basketball, Stokes and Twyman's friendship transcended race - this was during the turbulent 1950s and '60s, remember - and went far beyond standard loyalty.

Stokes was black, Twyman white. Stokes' family couldn't pay for medical costs, and the Royals wouldn't after changing ownership groups. Twyman sued and received worker's compensation for Stokes.

"He was a guy lying there without a team," Twyman said in a recent Cincinnati Post interview. "There was no insurance, no compensation."

Twyman legally adopted Stokes and cared for him for the rest of his life.

Tragedy was a frequent visitor to the Stokes family. A week after Stokes was hurt, his twin sister died of a heart attack.

For a spell, Stokes could only communicate by moving one eyelid. Through rehabilitation, he was able to move a little more freely.

And Twyman was with him most of the time.

"Maurice lived for 12 years after (his injury), and he was never down," Twyman said. "He never said, Why me?"

After he was hurt, Stokes left the floor and appeared fine. But the severity of the trauma wasn't known until days later, after the Royals had played Detroit in a playoff game, a contest in which Stokes scored 12 points and had 15 rebounds.

It was a dynasty in the making

Twyman said the Royals might have become a dynasty, which could have affected when - or even if - the franchise had kept moving west, from Cincinnati to Kansas City in 1972 and to Sacramento in 1985.

"Had Maurice lived and stayed healthy," Twyman said, "people wouldn't be talking about the Celtics dynasty as they do now. With Oscar Robertson, Jerry Lucas, Wayne Embry and myself - with Maurice - the Cincinnati Royals would have been much more of a factor.

"(Maurice) was Elgin Baylor and Michael Jordan, before those guys came along, only Maurice was three inches taller and 50 pounds heavier. He was the first player to combine strength and quickness those guys had. ... He would have been one of the five best (all-time players)."

Et cetera

Clyde Drexler, one of the great cruisers in league history, also was inducted into the Hall of Fame. He was the driving force for coach Rick Adelman's Portland Trail Blazers, who reached the NBA Finals twice in the early 1990s.Portland will forever be known as the franchise that didn't pick Jordan in the 1984 NBA draft, but the club already had Drexler. It needed a center and took Sam Bowie - and we know how that worked.

* On the Malone front, the NBA's second all-time leading scorer said he will return this season, but where is still anyone's guess. He has been courted by the Los Angeles Lakers, for whom he played last season, Miami Heat, San Antonio Spurs and Minnesota Timberwolves. If he plays for the Lakers alongside Vlade Divac, L.A. will employ two of the league's top big-men passers - skills they'll surely need to offset age.

The Bee's Joe Davidson can be reached at (916) 321-1280 or jdavidson@sacbee.com.