Marvin Bagley III explains why he liked tweet suggesting Kings trade him

Best case scenario for all parties is for Bagley to shut up, stay healthy and ball out next year.

Bagley would look a lot more attractive in a trade and he may just get his wish and be traded. If he isn't traded, he would earn a nice pay day from the Kings.

Otherwise, if the Kings continue to get the same low ball offers for Bagley, he and the Kings will be stuck together for a while.

I just don't want the Kings to trade Bagley for a bag of chips and a Pepsi. :(

There's definitely a gap between the player Bagley thinks he is and the player he actually is.

But it also seems like there's a gap between the player Bagley actually is and the player most Kings fans think he is.

To Capt's point, Jaren Jackson Jr has missed nearly the same number of games to injury (he played in 126 out of 228 games vs Bagley's 118 out of 227 games) and their stats are pretty similar. Bagley is the better rebounder and inside scorer and JJJ is the better shotblocker and outside shooter though Bagley is gradually improving there.

I think Jackson is a better fit in today's NBA but the biggest difference is probably more about perception. JJJ was picked 4th and not 2nd and he (and his father) haven't been tarnishing his reputation with their comments and actions.

Which is why Grizzlies fans just want JJJ to stay healthy and be a cornerstone player and Kings fans are arguing over whether Bagley is worth a mid to late 1st round pick or a 2nd rounder.
the bigger issue is JJJ isn’t a tweener. The problem with Bagley is you can’t really play him at the 4 and not kill your spacing nor can you play him at 5 given his defense. Bagley has the risk of being completely unplayable.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
So his lack of success is the Kings fault. Got it.
It is in a lot of ways, but coming out and basically insinuating that he somehow deserves or wants to be on a winning team just runs counter to the mindset of the desire to be the best at anything and the personal responsibility that any athlete should be basing their existence on. I think his confidence is shook.

Last edited:
Derrick Favors not exactly an exciting player but probably better than just a random 16 and 18.

Yes, Bagley sucks when compared to Luka and Trae. How does Bagley project out compared to Zhaire Smith and Lonnie Walker IV, the 16 and 18 picks from his class?
well to keep it in perspective each draft averages about 20 rotation players plus or minus a bit depending on years. 16 and 18 are both in that rotation player level which is at best what Bagley is currently. Assume you could draft Zaire Smith and/or Usman Garuba with both picks. I suspect you would be challenged to trade either player for Marvin.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Believe it or not, Bagley still has a better chance of panning out long term than the 16 and 18. He'll be a restricted free agent and there is no pressure on him. Odds are they flip him again after re-signing him.
Not if his attitude is completely soured. The Kings created the perfect storm for him to develop this way, but he needs to conjure up some sort of pride. Once that's gone it doesn't matter what kind of potential he's got, he's Darko.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Derrick Favors not exactly an exciting player but probably better than just a random 16 and 18.

Yes, Bagley sucks when compared to Luka and Trae. How does Bagley project out compared to Zhaire Smith and Lonnie Walker IV, the 16 and 18 picks from his class?
Derrick clearly has a different mindset. It was a mindset that meant he was never going to be "the man" but it was one that also meant he was going to bust his hump and play his role when it came down to it. He was going to survive one way or another. Bagley has way more talent but whatever alpha potential he had appears to be lost with this behavior and following explanation.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Since it has been an hour and nobody has answered, I'll ask again:

What do you think Jaren Jackson Jr. would return?
No idea really. In terms of player to player value; I think Memphis would laugh the Kings off the line if they called and offered 9 for him, but if any low-lottery team called the Kings and offered their pick for Bagley we’d accept before they finished their sentence.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
the bigger issue is JJJ isn’t a tweener. The problem with Bagley is you can’t really play him at the 4 and not kill your spacing nor can you play him at 5 given his defense. Bagley has the risk of being completely unplayable.
So far JJJ has started at PF next to Valanciunas. He's a better floor spacer (though he didn't shoot well on a small sample size this year after returning from injury) but he's also not a Bam-like defender who easily switches on to quicker wings.

I'd say both are tweeners at this point and both would have more value if they could start at the 5 spot. But right now Bagley would kill the Kings defensively and JJJ is just too weak on the glass for either to move up to center.

Again, I think Jackson is a better fit in today's NBA, I just don't think their current values are light years apart. And I actually worry more about JJJ's injuries. He's reinjured his knee a few times and torn his meniscus. Bagley has had sprains, back spasms, bone bruises, and a broken hand. None of those should have long term or cumulative effects.

So far JJJ has started at PF next to Valanciunas. He's a better floor spacer (though he didn't shoot well on a small sample size this year after returning from injury) but he's also not a Bam-like defender who easily switches on to quicker wings.

I'd say both are tweeners at this point and both would have more value if they could start at the 5 spot. But right now Bagley would kill the Kings defensively and JJJ is just too weak on the glass for either to move up to center.

Again, I think Jackson is a better fit in today's NBA, I just don't think their current values are light years apart. And I actually worry more about JJJ's injuries. He's reinjured his knee a few times and torn his meniscus. Bagley has had sprains, back spasms, bone bruises, and a broken hand. None of those should have long term or cumulative effects.
those are fair points. Though I think JJJ projects more cleanly to a stretch 4 than Marvin.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I agree that none of Bagley's injuries are concerning, but the amount of time he has missed for relatively minor injuries is extremely alarming on its own. Heaven forbid he does blow his knee out.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This one: Yhall really need to visit other forums/boards/scour comments from local and natiaonal reporters--Bagley simply does not have much value.

But since you think Bags > Roby, here's a sample:

Edit: yhall laugh, but I would give up #9 + _____ for Roby + Dort. Both players are going to be long term studs. Hell, I would trade #9 for Presti. And, in case you're wondering, I saw those plays live.
I mean, just to be thorough, you do realize that those highlights are from the single best game of Roby's career, both in terms of points scored but also in terms of GameScore? And that it was his very first full-minutes game of his career? Hasn't beaten it since.

Bagley has beaten Roby's best GameScore 22 times in his career. Topped the scoring mark 20 times (and tied it 8 other times). Beaten Roby's best rebounding game (10) another 23 times. Oh, and he's a year-plus younger. Bagley is still not as old today as Roby was when he played his first full-minutes and best career game.

Just saying, I'd hate to see how down folks would be on Isaiah Roby if he were a King and we had drafted him instead of Luka.

I mean, just to be thorough, you do realize that those highlights are from the single best game of Roby's career, both in terms of points scored but also in terms of GameScore? And that it was his very first full-minutes game of his career? Hasn't beaten it since.

Bagley has beaten Roby's best GameScore 22 times in his career. Topped the scoring mark 20 times (and tied it 8 other times). Beaten Roby's best rebounding game (10) another 23 times. Oh, and he's a year-plus younger. Bagley is still not as old today as Roby was when he played his first full-minutes and best career game.

Just saying, I'd hate to see how down folks would be on Isaiah Roby if he were a King and we had drafted him instead of Luka.
I watched that OKC team probably like 25 times last year. I just loved how hard they played and they were a bettors delight. It was why I was so high on Dort last year. And as for Roby, I've seen him enough times to know that what he flashed there, he flashed in other games. At this point, I think he's a better long term bet than Bags, because he actually plays two way, has better handles, isn't a black hole, and plays within the team on both sides of the ball.

If you go to the OKC boards, they're talking about Bagley. They like him, but they're thinking of scenarios where OKC would get him for....cap space. Bags simply does not have much value around the league.

i think it’s scary that he saw Trae young go off for 50 and instead of hitting the gym, his bright idea was to get on twitter lol please get this guy out of here
Was watching Sportscenter and they had CP3 on. He was talking about Saric and his injury. His first comments about Saric--he's all about the team...

Kinda refreshing.

It always seemed like Bagley would play one or two good games and we would get excited and then he would miss the next 3-5 games with some vague injury.

Bagley needs to man up and play through the small injuries. I'm hoping in a contract year, he will put on his big boy pants next season.

Last edited:
I agree that none of Bagley's injuries are concerning, but the amount of time he has missed for relatively minor injuries is extremely alarming on its own. Heaven forbid he does blow his knee out.
It's hard to judge how Bagley would play through injuries. The Kings were overly cautious his first 2 years. There were times both seasons that Bagley wanted to play and the team wouldn't let him. Vlade even made the comments that they wouldn't treating him with kid gloves with regards to injuries his next season (of course, Vlade was no longer there when the season started).

Last edited:
i think it’s scary that he saw Trae young go off for 50 and instead of hitting the gym, his bright idea was to get on twitter lol please get this guy out of here
Not to defend Bagley for what he has said recently, but we know he has been working out with a group in Miami that does this for players every off season. One thing every coach has said about Bagley is that he is a hard worker. My point being, just because he has been saying stupid things this off season doesn't mean he isn't working on his game.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It's hard to judge how Bagley would play through injuries. The Kings were overly cautious his first 2 years. There were times both seasons that Bagley wanted to play and the team wouldn't let him. Vlade even made the comments that they wouldn't treating him with kid gloves with regards to injuries his next season (of course, Vlade was no longer there when the season started).
If we kept him out when he wanted to play I guess I missed that. I only remember this last injury where he opted to rehab on his own, which seemed alarming.

If we kept him out when he wanted to play I guess I missed that. I only remember this last injury where he opted to rehab on his own, which seemed alarming.
all the red flags the majority of the fan base (including me) tried to explain away ( coach Yogurt, trade em’ dad tweets, Work outs away from team, aloof sideline behavior and the recent social media stuff) have all proven to be what we feared they were.

One side note, his younger brother has entered the transfer portal after an injury plagued freshman campaign.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
all the red flags the majority of the fan base (including me) tried to explain away ( coach Yogurt, trade em’ dad tweets, Work outs away from team, aloof sideline behavior and the recent social media stuff) have all proven to be what we feared they were.

One side note, his younger brother has entered the transfer portal after an injury plagued freshman campaign.
Young Bagley is staying in school?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

I totally hope this new Miami coaching thing he is doing is going to screw his head on right but I am tired of making excuses for him. At this point I'm just afraid we give him away and he puts it altogether and we look like even bigger morons.

I too have tried to hang onto any hope that we salvage something out of this and it has probably cut a year off my life. Although the alternative would have been crying into my pillow the last 3 years and beyond about what could have been.

I watched that OKC team probably like 25 times last year. I just loved how hard they played and they were a bettors delight. It was why I was so high on Dort last year. And as for Roby, I've seen him enough times to know that what he flashed there, he flashed in other games. At this point, I think he's a better long term bet than Bags, because he actually plays two way, has better handles, isn't a black hole, and plays within the team on both sides of the ball.

If you go to the OKC boards, they're talking about Bagley. They like him, but they're thinking of scenarios where OKC would get him for....cap space. Bags simply does not have much value around the league.
Sam Presti is not Vlade Divac. Bagley won't event get you 16, let alone 16 and 18.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I totally hope this new Miami coaching thing he is doing is going to screw his head on right but I am tired of making excuses for him. At this point I'm just afraid we give him away and he puts it altogether and we look like even bigger morons.

I too have tried to hang onto any hope that we salvage something out of this and it has probably cut a year off my life. Although the alternative would have been crying into my pillow the last 3 years and beyond about what could have been.
Crying into your pillow and/or keyboard hasn’t changed a single thing so far. So you’re probably doing this more right than I. Lmao