Marcus Smart

I was a huge fan of the idea of Boogie and Marcus Smart when he was coming out in the draft. With the Celtics landing the first pick, and being committed to taking Fultz I think there's an opportunity to try to make a move for him.

If Fox is gone before our pick, and assuming all the other PGs are off the board, would the tenth pick be enough to bring in Smart? The Celtics are running out of playing time in the backcourt with Thomas, Bradley, Fultz, and Smart. Smart will come off his rookie deal soon and might cost too much for the Celtics with the rest of their young assets. I'm unsure if the tenth pick would be enough... but they could continue to add to a thin front court and keep the timer going on cheap rookie contracts.

In that scenario you could draft Isaac at pick #5 (I know potentially a reach) and start an extremely defensively tough lineup of:

1. Smart
2. Buddy
3. Isaac
4. Skal
5. WCS

Super long, super athletic huge defensive potential and very young. Smart Shooting is a concern, but Buddy, Isaac and Skal are all decent to great shooters. I'm not sure if #10 is enough to get it done. If the Kings were able to acquire a couple additional firsts for cap space I might consider adding another mid round 1st for it. I'd look at a guy like Bell in the second round and just shoot for an obnoxiously defensive team. I'd prefer Fox to still be on the board at 5... I'd prefer taking Isaac at 5 and Smith or Frank N. Falling to 10. If those start to look impossible I would definitely try to figure out the price on Smart, however.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There's not much I can think of that would cause me to abandon the Kings, but Smart might be one of them. I want no part of Marcus Smart. He is a horrible outside shooter and a poor offensive decision maker. To say that his shooting is a concern is a huge understatement. This is a player that averaged 29.5% from the three in two years at Oklahoma St., and has averaged 29% from the three in three years with Boston.

To make matters worse, he doesn't seem to know he's a terrible shooter. He takes over 4 attempts per game from the three. He is a very good defender, I'll give him that. But sorry, I can't stand to watch him play. The thought of him on the Kings makes me ill.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the Kings are in no position to be adding a player like Smart, who is a defensive role player. He is a piece you add when you have a nucleus built and a clear direction. The Kings are still in the process of trying to find their next franchise player and they can't afford to give up anything of value for Smart.

I like Smart, the guy is a pit bull on defense. I've seen him check power forwards in the paint and the guy is tough as nails. He obviously has a handful of drawbacks on offense but he is a positive contributor in his overall game. But like kingsboi and roasthawg said, he's not worth the 10th pick and he's not going to do much to turn this franchise around. He's just a nice piece to have if you need pesky perimeter defense with offensive players that can make up for his shortcomings.

There's not much I can think of that would cause me to abandon the Kings, but Smart might be one of them. I want no part of Marcus Smart. He is a horrible outside shooter and a poor offensive decision maker. To say that his shooting is a concern is a huge understatement. This is a player that averaged 29.5% from the three in two years at Oklahoma St., and has averaged 29% from the three in three years with Boston.

To make matters worse, he doesn't seem to know he's a terrible shooter. He takes over 4 attempts per game from the three. He is a very good defender, I'll give him that. But sorry, I can't stand to watch him play. The thought of him on the Kings makes me ill.
Come on, tell us how you really feel :p