Looks like AK47 won't be in purple and black, so what next?

L

LWP777

Of course! I'm not surprised. We ended up with NOBODY this year. Let's just face it, our city/team is a doormat for NBA players. They don't want to play here.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
While AK to New Jersey has long made sense based on the Prokhorov connection, I'm not actually sure that is a new report there, or based on the same one from yesterday that truend out to be premature/innacurate.

And yes, obviously if AK is off the market it clarifies things and we NEED to bring back Dalembert. I said early on in this accelerated free agency period that given the numbers being tossed around we'd be doing well just to retian/bring back our own guys, And while it might be fugly how its come about, if we do that, and scoop up Outlaw off the trash bin as well, we're ok. Obivously not what we hoped. But ok. We only got about 10 games of Reke/Thornton/Daly/Cousins last year. Add in an upgrade at SF, those young players getting naturally better, Hickson in place of Darnell on that frontline, and we are going to be better. If Cousins and Reke are ready to step forward, a lot better.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
His agent stated that he hasn't even talked to the Nets. Not saying it won't happen, but at the moment I think this is just wishful thinking on the part of some pundits.

Ummm...YEAH!? When you've got everyone in the local media saying they should...Petrie HAS to see the same thing that EVERYONE else does...WE NEED DALEMBERT!!! Wtf gives Geoff?!?
Or, WTF Dalembert. He probably could have gotten a nice deal if he wasn't insistent on getting 10$ million. i don't think the Kings or Petrie suddenly didn't want him, it was just about the money.

Im not so sure AK47 is really going to the Nets, I think the article just says AK MAY end up with the Nets, I dont see any other tweets saying this is the case. Most recent tweets say Nets are still working on a trade with the Magic for Howard and that they are very close to signing Kris Humphries to a 1 year 7 mil deal.

Wonder how the fact that the Kings renounced their right to resign Daly to a 5 year deal is effecting his mindset to resign with us? Anyone know if that was that a necessary step in order to have enough dough to sign Chuck?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
We renounced his rights because he rejected our offer. If he is butt hurt over it maybe he should give Bonzi Wells a call.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Wonder how the fact that the Kings renounced their right to resign Daly to a 5 year deal is effecting his mindset to resign with us? Anyone know if that was that a necessary step in order to have enough dough to sign Chuck?
Was necessary to have enoguh for the Marcus resigning, yes.

Daly's official statement afterward was conciliatory however. Something along the line sof I understand tams have to make business decisions, the Kings are welcome to make me an offer anyway. Or some such. Whihc raised for me the question fo whethe we had not made an offer at all? Or whether he was referring to a new 4yr offer.

Sammy's cap hold was about 20 million even though his salary last year was about 14 million. So it was either resign him for much less as was desired, or rescind his Bird rights before going forward on other deals..

With Humphries resigning with Nets does that mean they are not pursuing AK47. Dalambert made the most sense for us from the begining. We need a center that can defend the rim.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Was necessary to have enoguh for the Marcus resigning, yes.

Daly's official statement afterward was conciliatory however. Something along the line sof I understand tams have to make business decisions, the Kings are welcome to make me an offer anyway. Or some such. Whihc raised for me the question fo whethe we had not made an offer at all? Or whether he was referring to a new 4yr offer.
Yes. We couldn't have signed Thornton without renouncing Daly. Daly's tweet showed no animosity.

So now that Euroleague has 2 weeks break before the top 16 starts for which CSKA qualified with a perfect 10-0, are we more likely to find out what Kirilenko's plans are?

I have long believed that he will stay in Russia but also thought that we would know one way or the other during the mid-season break!

So now that Euroleague has 2 weeks break before the top 16 starts for which CSKA qualified with a perfect 10-0, are we more likely to find out what Kirilenko's plans are?

I have long believed that he will stay in Russia but also thought that we would know one way or the other during the mid-season break!
I think you made the right call on that. I don't see him coming back right now. Teams doing good, he's a god over there, too similar to Bodiroga. There was just no way to pry that dude loose back in the day.

Well, it does look like if Ak does decide to come back over, we're in the best position. On the down side, we don't have that much cap room anymore, and it remains to be seen whether we even want him anymore given our signing of Outlaw. I do think AK would return to the NBA if given a big offer, as refusal to return means he's stuck in Russia for three more years (stuck used in the wrong context, as I'm sure he loves it there and rightly so).

The ball is in our court, at least as much as it can be.

Does a player taking refuge in Moscow make the Kings the official NBA Siberia?
If it was any other player then possibly but like I have been saying from the start, Kirilenko is in a different situation. He is earning exceptional money there, plus all the other perks. He is playing in his own country for a team he grew up with. That team just happens to be one of the best, if not the best in Europe. He really has no incentive to leave Moscow. He loves it there, his wife loves it there and he is earning as much money as he would in the NBA.

I can certainly understand why he would stay in Russia and as someone that comes from a similar background, if I were in his shoes, I too would find it very attractive to stay in my home country if the conditions were the same or possibly better than anything I would get in the NBA.