Looking for some quick advice on arena seating and kids

I know this my not be the proper forum for this post, but I hope you mods can cut me some slack since I'm looking for advice ASAP because I want to purchase tickets.

I'm looking to buy a couple tickets to one of the remaining games because I really want to take my 8yr old son to his first game. Times have been rough for a while so I have not been able to afford to go to a game in years. Not going to turn this into a sob story or anything, but I just want to say I am not one of those fans that claims they cant afford to go to a game when in reality they could if they really wanted to. Heck we can't even get cable/sat TV, which makes watching the games at home even difficult. I was so bummed when I came here the other day and Section 101 was offering a couple free tickets but I got here two hours too late. Doh! lol. That was still a great gesture Section 101.

Anyways, not looking for any handouts, just need your opinions. I'm debating on whether or not buy upper deck vs. lower. Upper deck is obviously more affordable and is probably the most logical choice. However, I'm worried that if we are so far away from the action that he might lose focus or get bored and not enjoy it as much. He's just now starting to like sports. He watches all the 49ers games with me at home and enjoys that, but we don't get to watch the Kings all that much due to no TV service. He's expressed interest to me in going to a Kings game so that excites me. But when we get a chance to watch the Kings at home he usually stops watching by halftime, although that could be due to the poor quality of the picture on the computer.

I'm probably shooting for the San Antonio game as it seems like that game has the cheapest tickets available. Lowest I have seen for lower level is $48 each, while the upper level around $15-$35++

So, what do you think? Like I said, I have not been able to go in years so maybe I'm making too big a deal out of the upper v.s lower level debate and that sitting in the upper level will be fine. I'm hoping just the buzz and excitement of the environment at the game will be enough for him. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Buy what you can afford. Your boy will appreciate it and if he really likes it you can always go again and get better seats when your budget allows it. I take my 3 year old to everything and he has just as much fun no matter where we sit. I don't think this year's team is worth over-extending on, but that's your call.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
That, and upper level seats are still a pretty good view compared to other arenas around the league. I remember watching the Bulls at the United Center...talk about nosebleeds.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Agreed with the above. Obviously the closer the better for seeing EVERYTHING, but the upper deck is still a LOT closer to the action than that in other arenas - it has to be because our building is so small! (But that is another thread, I think.)

I saw that they had a deal going on for the Spurs game with two lower level seats and a meet and greet with IT for $60. Might look into that! Can't remember where I saw it, I think it was at the Houston game.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I saw that they had a deal going on for the Spurs game with two lower level seats and a meet and greet with IT for $60. Might look into that! Can't remember where I saw it, I think it was at the Houston game.
It's on the Kings.com website.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I went to see the Bruins play the LA Kings at Staples in the upper bowl and even though it was ridiculously nosebleedy I got a view of the game I had never seen before, different sport but same logic should apply, even "bad" seats provide a unique viewpoint you'll never get on TV that is certainly worthwhile. Also the B's smoked them after going down early, any time you can stick it to LA fans in LA is magical.

Now I will admit having sat front row courtside regularly during the dark ages that the close up views provide the sort of magical larger than life view a kid will appreciate even more than an adult. But it's not worth going into debt over. Those seats were $30 face back then(!).

I know this my not be the proper forum for this post, but I hope you mods can cut me some slack since I'm looking for advice ASAP because I want to purchase tickets.

I'm looking to buy a couple tickets to one of the remaining games because I really want to take my 8yr old son to his first game. Times have been rough for a while so I have not been able to afford to go to a game in years. Not going to turn this into a sob story or anything, but I just want to say I am not one of those fans that claims they cant afford to go to a game when in reality they could if they really wanted to. Heck we can't even get cable/sat TV, which makes watching the games at home even difficult. I was so bummed when I came here the other day and Section 101 was offering a couple free tickets but I got here two hours too late. Doh! lol. That was still a great gesture Section 101.

Anyways, not looking for any handouts, just need your opinions. I'm debating on whether or not buy upper deck vs. lower. Upper deck is obviously more affordable and is probably the most logical choice. However, I'm worried that if we are so far away from the action that he might lose focus or get bored and not enjoy it as much. He's just now starting to like sports. He watches all the 49ers games with me at home and enjoys that, but we don't get to watch the Kings all that much due to no TV service. He's expressed interest to me in going to a Kings game so that excites me. But when we get a chance to watch the Kings at home he usually stops watching by halftime, although that could be due to the poor quality of the picture on the computer.

I'm probably shooting for the San Antonio game as it seems like that game has the cheapest tickets available. Lowest I have seen for lower level is $48 each, while the upper level around $15-$35++

So, what do you think? Like I said, I have not been able to go in years so maybe I'm making too big a deal out of the upper v.s lower level debate and that sitting in the upper level will be fine. I'm hoping just the buzz and excitement of the environment at the game will be enough for him. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Personally, if you want your boy to have the greatest experience, shoot for either lower level seating (anywhere in the lower level would be fine for this) or see if you can sit in one of the lower rows of the upper section. If I were you, I'd try to stay away from purchasing tickets that require you to sit right behind either backboard (lower section). I personally prefer sitting at mid court and towards the middle of the lower section(s).

Now, my family and I had season tickets for a while, and we actually had seats located in the upper level, last row, and were actually folding chairs that were put there for us (I have a wheelchair so it was pretty much wheelchair seating). Those seats were amazing for the view as you can see the entire court from up there and the arena is so small as it is, that the view was not much of an issue. That's the best part about PBP, there really is not a bad seat in the house.

It comes down to what you can afford. If you can spend a good amount, sit somewhere in the lower section, but not behind the backboards. If not, sit up top and I am sure he will have as much fun as he would down low...

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I got a good deal on a couple tickets in the upper bowl for Friday's game against Oklahoma. But, since the whole arena thing blew up and we don't really know what the future holds for the Kings, I really got the itch to go today. Luckily I was able to get some last minute $10 seats and took my 6yr old daughter and 8yr old son. PERFECT game for their first time! They had a blast, it was awesome. Getting to go onto the court after the game and shoot a basket was a great experience for them too.

I can't wait for Friday. Its going to be fan appreciation night, right? I read somewhere that its a blackout game too but I don't seem to be able to confirm that anywhere. Anyone know about that? I know our game in February against OKC was a blackout game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I got a good deal on a couple tickets in the upper bowl for Friday's game against Oklahoma. But, since the whole arena thing blew up and we don't really know what the future holds for the Kings, I really got the itch to go today. Luckily I was able to get some last minute $10 seats and took my 6yr old daughter and 8yr old son. PERFECT game for their first time! They had a blast, it was awesome. Getting to go onto the court after the game and shoot a basket was a great experience for them too.

I can't wait for Friday. Its going to be fan appreciation night, right? I read somewhere that its a blackout game too but I don't seem to be able to confirm that anywhere. Anyone know about that? I know our game in February against OKC was a blackout game.
I am so glad your kids' first game was a near-sellout and a win. I know they'll remember it for a long time. I haven't seen any "blackout" advertisements for the OKC game but it wouldn't surprise me. If I can find anything, I'll let you know.

OKC will be better than today.

My dad used to take us to Kings games (partly to get my to change from a Laker fan to a Kings fan). I was about 12-14 years old. I couldn't care less where I sat.. Going to the games was AWESOME for me. Your 8 year old will love it no matter where you sit.

Getting bent out of shape over where we sit is for us older folks to whine about lol..

Not to turn this into a church or Religious thread but remember those church of latterday saints commercials where the father is all bent out of shape trying to make everything perfect in his eyes for the kid on the camping trip? Turned out the kid didn't care about any of that perfection, he was just enjoying the moment.

Kids are easy to please. I sword fight with my nephew with our nerf swords and while it's kinda boring for me, and I worry that he's getting bored, he never does! Or coloring with my niece. They eat that crap up lol.