Lance Stephenson to the Clippers

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Traded for Matt Barnes and our old friend Spencer Hawes.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...-get-lance-stephenson-trade-charlotte-hornets

On paper it's a talent upgrade but I think they'll miss Barnes' defense. Plus barnesvisctge type of gritty, "hate him when he's not on your team" role player good teams always seem to have.

Then again Barnes is 35 and seemed to frustrate Dic so I'm not surprised. Trading one headache for potentially a migrane.

I'll be curious to see if this works out for the Clips like Rondo worked out for the Mavs or if a change of scenery for Stephenson and makes it a huge pickup.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
maybe Doc can keep Lance in check, Lance is the better defender out of the two IMO but Lance can't spread the floor as well as Matt can...it's a toss up type of trade really. Hornets got rid of him quickly, I guess his antics caught up with him.

dude12

Hall of Famer
With only 1 year remaining,on the Stephenson contract and 3 remaining on the Hawes deal....this is a major win for the Clippers. If Lance plays well, then great, if not he's an expiring or just let go. Clippers are fortunate to get out of that Hawes contract.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
With only 1 year remaining,on the Stephenson contract and 3 remaining on the Hawes deal....this is a major win for the Clippers. If Lance plays well, then great, if not he's an expiring or just let go. Clippers are fortunate to get out of that Hawes contract.
I get the rationale for the Hornets - it gets rid of a headache/cancer in Stephenson and Hawes can ideally stretch the floor for Jefferson. But (and I say this trying to be objective despite my feelings towards Hawes) I think they'll be disappointed by Hawes' inconsistency and lack of toughness.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Charlot got better with less talent. LA just guaranteed that at least one layer will not quit in the playoffs next year... If he does not kill someone during the regular season.