Lamar Patterson?

dude12

Hall of Famer
If I'm Kings, I tell Patterson to hold tight and we will either trade Ben or waive him and then sign Patterson for the remainder of the year......but then again Patterson has to take his opportunities. Atlanta by the way had Patterson last year.

I think you try and trade McLemore first. oncethe trade deadline passes and if Ben is still on the roster, I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut to free up a roster spot.
That's the best way to go but my fear is this. We look to trade McLemore, meanwhile Atlanta steals away Patterson and we either don't get anything back for McLemore or we get a 2nd round pick that doesn't amount to anything close to what Patterson is.

If I'm Vlade, I would release McLemore in order to keep Patterson. I'd rather take a chance on the guy than possibly risk losing him to secure a low value McLemore trade. Something changed in Patterson's game from last year to this year because he's getting to the line twice as much as he ever has in his career. Usually it's a big improvement in your game when that happens. If he was randomly shooting 45% from 3 I'd say that maybe he was having a fluky year but you can't really fluke your way to over 8 free throws a game.

That's the best way to go but my fear is this. We look to trade McLemore, meanwhile Atlanta steals away Patterson and we either don't get anything back for McLemore or we get a 2nd round pick that doesn't amount to anything close to what Patterson is.

If I'm Vlade, I would release McLemore in order to keep Patterson. I'd rather take a chance on the guy than possibly risk losing him to secure a low value McLemore trade. Something changed in Patterson's game from last year to this year because he's getting to the line twice as much as he ever has in his career. Usually it's a big improvement in your game when that happens. If he was randomly shooting 45% from 3 I'd say that maybe he was having a fluky year but you can't really fluke your way to over 8 free throws a game.
Interesting discussions here. Ben is no use to us here and he's not playing. We might as well trade him or cut him. I didn't see much in Patterson during preseason that impressed me, but maybe he's developed.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sportando.com/en/usa/nba/224482/hawks-to-sign-lamar-patterson-to-a-10-day-contract.html

Looks like we've lost Patterson now. Hardly a franchise changing player, but this is yet another misstep by the FO not being able to **** or get off the pot regarding Ben.
(Don't bypass the profanity filters...thanks.)

How can you call this a misstep? It's Lamar Patterson we're talking about, not Kemba Walker or even Seth Curry. We have no idea what the front office has been trying to do regarding Ben - or anyone else - for the simple yet gratifying reason that we no longer have people in positions of authority who leak things to their favorite press person on a regular basis.

Rudy! I think that Patterson should stick around.
It would be pretty unwise Gay. Let's play through the scenarios...

Gay opts in:
Pros: Kings could have the ability to trade Gay for value if he can recover from his injury
Cons: Kings lose cap space in 2017-18

Gay opts out:
Pros: Kings get extra cap space in 2017-18
Cons: We lose Gay for nothing

If we waive Gay:
Pros: Kings open a roster spot to sign a D-League player
Cons: Kings lose cap space in 2017-18 & Kings lose Gay for nothing

It's pretty obvious that waiving Gay would be the worst option.